RFC: Fission (http://fission.io/)

Chris Aniszczyk

At the TOC call today, we have a presentation from the Fission (http://fission.io/) team:

As part of the project proposal process, we aim to have a discussion about the project on the mailing list / TOC call before a decision is made to formally invite a project. I invite the TOC and the wider CNCF community to comment on the mailing list.

Thanks Soam for taking the time to present!

Soam Vasani

Thanks very much for your time, everyone!

I'd love to answer any questions here, or do a follow-up demo in a hangout, if anyone is interested in that.

-Soam

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
At the TOC call today, we have a presentation from the Fission (http://fission.io/) team:

As part of the project proposal process, we aim to have a discussion about the project on the mailing list / TOC call before a decision is made to formally invite a project. I invite the TOC and the wider CNCF community to comment on the mailing list.

Thanks Soam for taking the time to present!

thank you very much Soam!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zKkgzqO6M2JfGBgXvyyBpQph3Xu_GtpnT7MDdeXGvZE/edit#slide=id.g1af6c49a55_0_0

As part of the project proposal process, we aim to have a discussion about
the project on the mailing list / TOC call before a decision is made to
formally invite a project. I invite the TOC and the wider CNCF community to
comment on the mailing list.

Thanks Soam for taking the time to present!

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

I would be interested in hearing/seeing more about practical uses of fission so far. I'd also like to see the documentation fleshed out a bit - it's a little sparse in terms of understanding how this all fits together and how users can integrate.

thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
At the TOC call today, we have a presentation from the Fission (http://fission.io/) team:

As part of the project proposal process, we aim to have a discussion about the project on the mailing list / TOC call before a decision is made to formally invite a project. I invite the TOC and the wider CNCF community to comment on the mailing list.

Thanks Soam for taking the time to present!

+1 especially compared to the cornucopia of new "serverless" libs that seem to have appeared of late....

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017, 18:53 Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Yaron Haviv

I think we should consider a working group or SIG for “serverless”

some of those solutions look naïve at best

there is a lot of overlap between k8s functionality and “serverless” on one hand, on the other it requires integration with multiple external frameworks e.g. APIs, PubSub, Logging, K/V state storage, event triggers/streamers, identity management. Each of those may have few overlapping cloud, open-source and commercial options with pros and cons. I don’t see how one company can deliver on it all (unless its AWS/GCP/Azure), it calls for collaboration.

the right path is to start with requirements and a framework/architecture which define the flows, layers, APIs and roles of components, what needs to be done at the orchestration layer (k8s/mesos/..), how external triggers or resources are plugged into it, how does it scale, development tools ...

I’m willing to take active part in such a workforce

Yaron