Max Koerbaecher <max@...>
toggle quoted message
Show quoted text
after collecting your feedback on our proposal, we crafted the Work Group charter.
This is my first ever CNCF email, as a newbie - and I wanted to clarify how this works regarding another Linux Foundation project, the Green Software Foundation: Green
Software Foundation | GSF
I can see some folks have raised a similar question - some of the items in the vision and responsibilities are clearly different from the GSF, but some overlap.
That might be ok, but flagging now.
Chris Lloyd-Jones |
Head of Open Technologies, Office of the CTO
[ Upcoming OOF – 7 April, 19-20 April, 2-9 May. ]
Sounds great! I'm in! Where do I sign? 😉
In terms of the next steps - I assume that we have to split who does what and we could start by brainstorming ideas on how to answer the questions posed in your 1-3 points (surveys? outreach? etc.)
I thought that if you will be joining KubeCon EU in May we might try to arrange a meeting just to get to know each other. WDYT?
Before that happens, catching up once a month or two weeks would be good.
All the best!
Founding Marketing Manager
+1 to "Environmental Conservation WG" as the name and the initial tasks.
On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 2:01 PM Max Koerbaecher <max@...
thank you for having me at the TOC meeting yesterday and for the chance as well as the discussion on our proposal.
As a result of yesterday's discussion I first would like to put a renaming into the room:
"Environmental Conservation WG"
Following the recommendation, we would start as a working group also we see that there are a lot of jobs to be done, to oversight any project is at this time not part of it/too early and therefore not suitable for a TAG. Might change in the future.
Some of the initial task I see:
- craft a team for the WG (I got already a couple of private messages and notes of interest)
- scoping the activities - as mentioned in the meeting we see many dimensions, possibilities and ways of acting. an output here can be a kind of roadmap as well as a cloud native environmental impact map (work in this direction is generally done and need
some CN spicing)
- depending on the size of the team as well as the scoped activities, I would like to have the WG being active actually in to three directions
- 1. towards the CNCF projects - did they worked already on something for improving their environment footprint? what are the problems they see? what is needed to overcome potential issues? etc.
- 2. towards the enduser - as mentioned a key for this topic is awareness, and the our enduser are one/some of the strongest multiplicators. What are their current state? How OSS can help? Can we include this topic to the CNCF survey?
- 3. bridging existing foundations and project - there are many initiatives out there, how we can bring them to our community? where we have a common sense? what is difficult for them to grow adoption? Lets learn from each other and be a vehicle for existing
Sorry for the long email. I'm looking forward to your feedback, and your guidance to get the things started :)
Am Fr., 25. März 2022 um 01:33 Uhr schrieb Jaime Magiera <jaimelm@...
I’d be interested in contributing to this TAG, whatever the name will be.
DevOps Engineer Senior
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
On Mar 19, 2022, at 8:06 AM, Max Koerbaecher <max@...
we would like to propose you a new TAG.
Sustainability is a growing and important topic and can be done effectively only if everyone delivers their part to it. The data centers' global energy consumption, and therefore the reason for CO2 emission, is around 2%. That maybe doesn't sound a lot
but is equivalent to Canada or Germany, and is also bigger than the emissions caused by airplanes.
At the same time, open source gets relevant momentum and can be found in many system implementations or is the foundation modern systems are built on. That's why we would like to propose you the TAG Sustainability. We as a community can lay the foundation
for sustainable software, sustainable open source projects and best practices to deliver our part for a positive change in the future.
Please find our proposal here:
We would be more than happy to discuss this with you in the next TOC about the TAG. By questions feel free to reach out to us.