prometheus

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

Great point - worth pursuing on the Incubation thread.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:38 Rob Hirschfeld via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
RE: process & incubation.

Sorry to come in late.  My experience is that community may consider graduation from incubation as assured.  I agree that it's intended to be a "maybe" but that can be hard to control once the message gets out and expectations are set.

On 04/14/2016 09:11 AM, John Lawler via cncf-toc wrote:
-1

Prometheus is a fine system but it is certainly not the only only one out there. Sysdig, for example, is also open source and covers much of the same ground. My down vote is not about Prometheus or Sysdig or any other project, but rather about the willy nilly process. I really thing that there should be a lot more discussion on this any any other such proposals.

John

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM
To: Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] prometheus

+1

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

Rob

Rob Hirschfeld

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM
To: Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

+1

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

Rob
____________________________
Rob Hirschfeld, 512-773-7522
RackN CEO, Founder

I am in CENTRAL (-6) time
http://robhirschfeld.com
twitter: @zehicle, github: cloudedge & ravolt

Chris Wright

* Brian Grant via cncf-toc (cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io) wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM, John Lawler via cncf-toc <
cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:

-1

Prometheus is a fine system but it is certainly not the only only one out
there. Sysdig, for example, is also open source and covers much of the same
ground. My down vote is not about Prometheus or Sysdig or any other
project, but rather about the willy nilly process. I really thing that
there should be a lot more discussion on this any any other such proposals.
If we're going to figure out the proposal process, we need a proposal to
start with, IMO.

This thread is merely an expression of interest in a proposal. We don't
know whether the project is interested.

sysdig is great. And complementary to prometheus. Besides, we've previously
agreed that we could accept overlapping projects.

Maybe this was the reasoning by work groups: to gather a group of people to
look for candidate projects within a particular subdomain, with a goal of
producing a proposal (or multiple proposals) at the end.
yes

Brian Grant

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM
To: Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

John Lawler <jlawler@...>

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM
To: Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

+1

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

Solomon Hykes

+1

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

From the discussion, it sounded like we should add a couple items to the proposal template:

1. A discussion of how the project would complement / integrate with / overlap with other CNCF projects and perhaps the scope of CNCF's mission more generally.

2. A tentative list of the project's needs/asks from CNCF. Especially important if we do make incubation graduation a mutual decision.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Unless anyone makes a strong case for holding off on this by Friday pm, I'll get a draft proposal shared here on the weekend

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 17:16 Brian Grant, <briangrant@...> wrote:
+1.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I think it's a solid choice. Would be a win for CNCF to have a second very credible project on board.

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

For those who aren't familiar with the project: https://prometheus.io/

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

TOC,

I'd love to see Prometheus present soon, so please LMK if that is a good or bad thing.

alexis