CNCF Sandbox projects and CNCF endorsement

Saad Ali <saadali@...>

Hey CNCF TOC,

I wanted to bring this up to you as a follow up on this thread.

We concluded on that thread "the CNCF Sandbox does not represent an endorsement by the CNCF of a project. It is a place to nurture new projects that may graduate to `endorsed` CNCF projects."

The email attached below is the kind of thing that I was worried about. While we said that sandbox products are not endorsed by the CNCF. After getting in to the CNCF Sandbox, OpenEBS is able to host webinars, send mass marketing emails to all CNCF members and all these things look very official and very much like a CNCF endorsement.

I don't have a problem with OpenEBS, they are just doing what makes sense for their business.

My concern is that we, the CNCF, have a very low bar for entry for the Sandbox which is being exploited.

I don't know what the best way to fix this is: should CNCF have stricter rules around marketing sandbox projects? should we have different branding (not including "CNCF" for Sandbox)?

Open to thoughts.

Regards,

Saad Ali

From: Cloud Native Computing Foundation <no-reply@...>
Date: Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:01 AM
To: <saadali@...>

[...]

Kim McMahon <kmcmahon@...>

Thank you Saad and Chris,

The OpenEBS webinar is actually a member webinar by MayaData. Silver members get one webinar every six months and gold and platinum members get one webinar every quarter.

I have been working on pulling together the guidance that has been created for project marketing into one document. What I have thus far for webinars:

Webinars

For graduated and incubating projects:
  • Webinars 2x a year
  • Webinars can be to communicate a release launch details or to provide a project update.

For sandbox projects:
  • The CNCF member company can promote a sandbox project during their allotted member webinar.

Kubernetes is an exception; they do a webinar at each release (every quarter).

If I have misunderstood the guidance for webinars for projects, (1) I apologize and (2) help me make sure I have this correct!

Thank you,
Kim

Kim McMahon
Director of Marketing, CNCF