Anyone know what this is?

Russell Bryant <rbryant@...>

Thanks, Chris!  That channel just got archived on slack, unfortunately.  We are in #cluster-api as well, though.

we can set up a mailing list for metalkube too if that helps.

Russell Bryant

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:24 PM Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
That's great Xuan!  I agree, Kube is very promising for a variety of edge and other usecases in the network.

Jump on #wg-onprem in Kubernetes Slack, visit http://metalkube.org/, or ping Russell (Cc'd) if you need any other pointers.

thanks,
-chris

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 2:45 AM Xuan Jia <jason.jiaxuan@...> wrote:
Hi Chris, i am very interested in this project.  It may have some value in edge computing.
We are finding if community have any solution to solve the bare metal machine management problem .
MetalKube is the one.  How can we do together ?

From my point of view, the resource in Edge Computing Data Center is limited.   CNF is a very good chose in Edge.

Xuan Jia
Edge Computing Architect
China Mobile Research Institute

Chris Wright <chrisw@...> 于2019年3月2日周六 上午12:01写道:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2019, 2:37 PM Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
The statement about competing with openstack is especially unfortunate.

I agree, I'm very disappointed by that statement.

And all solutions have noisy neighbor challenges. It's workload dependent.

Indeed. Similarly all solutions have security challenges. And then pointing to microvms as interesting after describing Kata as FUD is minimally confusing and maximally reads as just bad mouthing another project.

Having said the above, that's mostly about messaging concerns. I do see real value in Kubernetes on bare metal for a number of usecases including network functions.

So I'm curious to see who is interested in Kubernetes on bare metal?  For those interested, we're working on a project called metalkube:

Feel free to jump on slack and learn what's going on there.

thanks,
-chris

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 10:09 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
If so then I assume this article is all a set of misquotes by the journalist:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 15:58 Dan Kohn, <dan@...> wrote:
Definitely, there's a lot more to come. We're also hoping to get a bunch of telcos and their vendors engaged and making improvement to the Testbed so that it becomes a real, collaborative open source project.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
Fwiw I think this is pretty cool, but I suspect a lot of parties interested in this comparison would also want to see latency & jitter info added to slide 9. Is that in the pipeline Dan?

The code: https://github.com/cncf/cnf-testbed

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

--
Russell Bryant

Rob Hirschfeld

> "So I'm curious to see who is interested in Kubernetes on bare metal?  "

If the TOC is interested in Kube on bare metal... there's also KRIB on Digital Rebar which uses KubeAdm and has a wide range of options including HA.

We've done work for a ClusterAPI Machine Controller which allows the ClusterAPI to treat metal like a cloud: https://github.com/galthaus/machine-controller

Rob Hirschfeld

Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, RackN

(512) 773-7522

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Wright

That's great Xuan!  I agree, Kube is very promising for a variety of edge and other usecases in the network.

Jump on #wg-onprem in Kubernetes Slack, visit http://metalkube.org/, or ping Russell (Cc'd) if you need any other pointers.

thanks,
-chris

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 2:45 AM Xuan Jia <jason.jiaxuan@...> wrote:
Hi Chris, i am very interested in this project.  It may have some value in edge computing.
We are finding if community have any solution to solve the bare metal machine management problem .
MetalKube is the one.  How can we do together ?

From my point of view, the resource in Edge Computing Data Center is limited.   CNF is a very good chose in Edge.

Xuan Jia <jason.jiaxuan@...>

Hi Chris, i am very interested in this project.  It may have some value in edge computing.
We are finding if community have any solution to solve the bare metal machine management problem .
MetalKube is the one.  How can we do together ?

From my point of view, the resource in Edge Computing Data Center is limited.   CNF is a very good chose in Edge.

[...]

Brian Grant

[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

sure I’ll slot a bit of time

On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:

Chris, can we put this on the agenda for the next TOC meeting please.

I'd like the TOC to have a clear understanding of what's happening with the Cloud-native Network Functions effort, as it's very unclear at the moment.  See also the thread below.

From: Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 04:32
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Cc: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>

Here's background on CNFs. In short, it's a demonstration and marketing term for how to use Kubernetes as a substrate for the telco use case. There's no project associated with it, and a key consideration is how to support telcos without "breaking" Kubernetes's success for enterprise users. There are no actual upstream changes or new projects that we're proposing.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 2:16 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
+Dan Kohn

The nomenclature is a bit off but this is a CNCF funded effort / demo, not an official CNCF project per se.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:47 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Hi Alexis, Chris

I recently noticed that CNFS claim to be “in the CNCF”.

I think this is the first I’ve heard of this.  Am I asleep at the wheel?  Was this ever passed by the TOC?  Where exactly does it fit in?

There is a CNFS project in the CNCF GitHub:

But it’s not listed as a sandbox (or any other) CNCF project?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any guidance.

[...]

alexis richardson

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

[...]

Lee Calcote

Of the major benefits highlighted, #3 - developer velocity (and the inherent increase in consistency of infrastructure configuration) - is not to be overshadowed by the the first major benefit of performance improvements. Each are substantial.

The goal of the CNF Testbed's apples-to-apples comparison resonates with the goal of the Meshery project with aims for apples-to-apples performance comparison between prominent service mesh projects. Meshery is an alpha state project slated for demo in an upcoming Networking WG call.

- Lee

On Feb 25, 2019, at 7:49 AM, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:

Fwiw I think this is pretty cool, but I suspect a lot of parties interested in this comparison would also want to see latency & jitter info added to slide 9. Is that in the pipeline Dan?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 10:18, Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:

The code: https://github.com/cncf/cnf-testbed
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com