Date

Re: [RESULT] Welcome new TOC member: Dave Zolotusky

Cheryl Hung <chung@...>

Congratulations Dave! Very excited to see you join the TOC and to represent the End User Community.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 7:30 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin ascavarda@... wrote:

The End User community has chosen Dave Zolotusky to be seated on the

Technical Oversight Committee, welcome to Dave!

Thanks to all who participated in this special election.

VP of Ecosystem, Cloud Native Computing Foundation

Agenda for 10/6's TOC meeting

Amye Scavarda Perrin

[RESULT] Welcome new TOC member: Dave Zolotusky

Amye Scavarda Perrin

The End User community has chosen Dave Zolotusky to be seated on the
Technical Oversight Committee, welcome to Dave!

Thanks to all who participated in this special election.

FYI: CNCF code search via SourceGraph

Chris Aniszczyk

In case you want to search across all the CNCF projects code base:

We'd like to thank our friends at SourceGraph for spinning this up, you can comment on this feature here: https://github.com/cncf/foundation/issues/113#issuecomment-703710232

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra)

Re: "Steering committee" discussion

Reitbauer, Alois

I was listening in to this for a while and wanted to share my observations:

  • I think the general assumption should be that people working on projects have good intentions and should be supported. Some comments feel like protecting against people trying to trick the system. Sure they exist and this needs to be addressed but an open, inclusive mind set should be first.
  • It seems to me that project goals get mixed up with metrics or concrete measures to achieve them. Long term sustainability can mean contributors from many organisations and this makes sense. However, if a project is widely used and companies also buy commercial (SaaS) offerings of the solutions there will be somebody maintaining the project. There have been cases in the past – non CNCF – where companies stopped doing open source releases. This is rare and can still be addressed.
  • Naming the project stages still seems to be an issues. The CNCF also has another naming scheme from the technology radar. If the intention is to show maturity and recommendations to the community the assess, trial and adopt nomenclature might be helpful.

// Alois

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "alexis richardson via lists.cncf.io" <alexis=weave.works@...>
Reply to: "alexis@..." <alexis@...>
Date: Thursday, 1. October 2020 at 21:05
To: Stefano Maffulli <stefano.maffulli@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] "Steering committee" discussion

I think it's important to listen to people who actually produce the software here. It is really really hard to sustain quality. Adding demands just hurts, doesn't help. That's why we are looking at broader options.

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, 19:56 Stefano Maffulli, <stefano.maffulli@...> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:17 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Graduation is not meant to be some kind of super impossible bar.

My argument is that it shouldn't be intended as a final destination.

Let's not assume that all "collaboration" must be between multiple sellers of the same software.

How can you not? The power balance is shifted towards those who produce the software. The ones who make the software are natural monopolists, and generally they operate in winner-take-all markets. It's one of the fundamentals of open source to rebalance that power between those who produce and those who consume, by enabling the consumer to be a producer, breaking that barrier.

I know that for some software the collaboration aspect is less important though (the monopolistic threat is non-existent or has limited impact). That's why I'm suggesting to explore the software maturity model rather than a simple step like it is now with "graduation".

--

Stefano Maffulli

Sr. Dir. Digital and Community Marketing | stefano.maffulli@...

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

Re: "Steering committee" discussion

alexis richardson

[...]

Graduation is not meant to be some kind of super impossible bar. It
should be pretty easy to go from successful Incubation to Graduation,
provided social conditions are met. Let's not assume that all
"collaboration" must be between multiple sellers of the same software.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM Stefano Maffulli via lists.cncf.io
<stefano.maffulli=scality.com@...> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:

Problem statement summary: projects that are controlled by a single vendor struggle to meet the current graduation requirement to have maintainers from multiple organizations (for valid reasons such as, they tend to hire the folks who are expert in that project). This multi-organization requirement is intended to address two concerns:
1. longevity of the project (in the event that a vendor is acquired or goes out of business)
2. ensuring that the project roadmap is community controlled, and not only run in the commercial interest of the vendor (we want to avoid feature hold-back)
We recognize that the current multi-org requirement may not be the only (or even necessarily the best) way to address those concerns

I think it's a serious mistake to de-emphasize diversity of employment among project maintainers in a consortium that is all about collaboration. I'd love to explore other venues before throwing the towel.

Maybe the problem is with the word "graduation" and the way it's portrayed as a destination, rather than one of the criteria to assess longevity and community control of the roadmap.

Pieces of the conversation from Matt and Alexis hint at a source of misinterpretation of what "graduation" means. The fact that CNCF is showing a linear progress from incubation to graduation maybe is contributing to the confusion.

Alexis says:

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 4:27 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

CNCF Incubation tests for production use and technical DD. It has a
high bar. Graduation is oriented towards sustainability including
some of the matters you touch on below. Graduation is more about
sustainability and governance, than about production use. Those are
all related in the end of course.

Sustainability, governance and production use are correlated but quite independent variables. IIRC the Eclipse and Apache Foundation played have experience exposing a series of indicators in a maturity model. Some adopters of software may have more tolerance than others for things like "employment diversity of maintainers".

How about rethinking the flow from incubation to graduation not as a ladder but rather as criteria for a decision-support matrix?

/stef

Re: [VOTE] Rook Graduation

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 12:43 PM Sheng Liang via lists.cncf.io <sheng=rancher.com@...> wrote:

+1 binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Katie Gamanji via lists.cncf.io" <gamanjie=gmail.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM
To: "aprokharchyk@..." <aprokharchyk@...>
Cc: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Rook Graduation

+1 binding

  Great addition to the graduated suite of CNCF projects!

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...> wrote:

+1 binding

-alena.

On Jul 6, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Rook has applied for graduation (see https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/366).

Saad Ali is the TOC sponsor for Rook, has completed DD and has called for a vote.  (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/4846)

Due diligence doc can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1acp9gJ1D_qflHKJBg4gB-nZwZQs87_Dh9uiH4pITc_U/edit?usp=sharing

[...]

Bhaarat Sharma

+1 NB !

--
Bhaarat Sharma
Raft | CTO

SBA 8(a) Certified | WOSB

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Katie Gamanji via lists.cncf.io" <gamanjie=gmail.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM
To: "aprokharchyk@..." <aprokharchyk@...>
Cc: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding

  Great addition to the graduated suite of CNCF projects!

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...> wrote:
+1 binding

-alena.

On Jul 6, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Rook has applied for graduation (see https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/366).

Saad Ali is the TOC sponsor for Rook, has completed DD and has called for a vote.  (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/4846)

Due diligence doc can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1acp9gJ1D_qflHKJBg4gB-nZwZQs87_Dh9uiH4pITc_U/edit?usp=sharing

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Rook Graduation

Barak Stout

[...]

Sheng Liang <sheng@...>

+1 binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Katie Gamanji via lists.cncf.io" <gamanjie=gmail.com@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM
To: "aprokharchyk@..." <aprokharchyk@...>
Cc: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding

  Great addition to the graduated suite of CNCF projects!

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...> wrote:

+1 binding

-alena.

On Jul 6, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Rook has applied for graduation (see https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/366).

Saad Ali is the TOC sponsor for Rook, has completed DD and has called for a vote.  (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/4846)

Due diligence doc can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1acp9gJ1D_qflHKJBg4gB-nZwZQs87_Dh9uiH4pITc_U/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Johan Tordsson

+1 NB

Johan Tordsson

Den 2020-09-30 kl. 18:00, skrev Amye Scavarda Perrin:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Johan Tordsson, PhD
CTO & Co-founder
www.elastisys.com

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Jeremy Rickard

+1 NB

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Magno Logan

+1 nb

Best Regards,

Magno Rodrigues

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:11 PM Emily Fox <themoxiefoxatwork@...> wrote:
+1

- Emily Fox

@TheMoxieFox (personal handle)

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 12:03 Ken Owens, <kenchristineowens@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: "Steering committee" discussion

Matt Wilson

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 04:27 AM, alexis richardson wrote:

Matt

Thanks. A few quick comments (topline for speed).

CNCF Incubation tests for production use and technical DD. It has a
high bar. Graduation is oriented towards sustainability including
some of the matters you touch on below. Graduation is more about
sustainability and governance, than about production use. Those are
all related in the end of course.

I am a big fan of regular Q&A surveys with maintainers and users "and
more". They are a good way to assess health, eg "do you think the
project will make more progress in the next 12mo than in the last
12mo? why", and "are you aware of any bad actors".
It may just be me, but there seems to be a lot of focus on the
possibility of "bad actors" and mitigating the possible harm that they
can cause. When we build tools like surveys, questionnaires, and
templates to help us in evaluative processes, we need to be aware of
biases that they can introduce or reinforce. These biases can be both
beneficial and harmful. If you ask too much about bad actors, it can
cause or introduce a perception that open-source has a pervasive problem
with bad actors, when in fact (based only on my personal experience) it
is a very rare circumstance. I think each of those rare circumstances
are exceptionally complex, and addressing the problem will likely
require a set of unique corrective actions, potentially in multiple
areas.

There's no magic solution to fixing a dysfunctional community.

In terms of attracting contributors: complex topic, but the SC can
help by being a lighthouse showing many ways to get involved, by
showcasing what direction and features need building, and by having
clear contributor paths.
Implementing the SC concept may be one way that a project community
builds to be a healthy, well functioning community. I'm not aware of
good examples of how this has been demonstrated in practice, and I think
that the TOC should expand the areas where evaluating what is Perception
vs Reality beyond the small mention in the DD review template [1] that
exists today

* Perception vs Reality: Is there lots of buzz, but the software is
flaky/untested/unused? Does it have a bad reputation for some flaw
that has already been addressed?

Reputation/perception is usually rooted in some kind of reality about
how things are functioning in practice, like was the case in my Xen
project example. You can check all the boxes for CNCF graduation and
still get off course. The exceptionally rare (as far as I'm aware)
circumstances where people want to capitalize on the common goodwill and
brand equity of Open Source and the CNCF (along with all the valuable
benefits and services that CNCF is able to provide to its member
projects) without being committed to building an inclusive, well
functioning, non-discriminatory community and ecosystem won't be blocked
by a multi-organization contributor requirement, a steering committee, a
longevity plan, a contributor ladder, or a quarterly roadmap.

--msw

[1] https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/process/dd-review-template.md#users

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Emily Fox