Date

2020 Longhorn annual review

Sheng Yang

Hi, TOC members

I've opened a PR (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/564) for the annual review of the Longhorn project.

Thanks.

--Sheng

FYI: Dan Kohn Memorial Service Friday Nov 13th

Chris Aniszczyk

For those that are interested, there will be a memorial service for Dan on Friday:

If you're interested in leaving a memory/story, you can send a PR here: https://github.com/cncf/memorials/blob/master/dan-kohn.md

Thank you.

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra)

Projects included into Sandbox from November 10th meeting

Amye Scavarda Perrin

The TOC has reviewed the projects that have applied to be included in Sandbox, see the results below.
Our next Sandbox meeting will be January 26th.

SchemaHero
Passes with a majority TOC vote
Cloud Development Kit for Kubernetes (cdk8s)
Passes with a majority TOC vote
Athenz
TOC would like to know more about relationship with Spiffe/Spire
cert-manager
Passes with a majority TOC vote
OpenKruise
Passes with a majority TOC vote
Tinkerbell
Passes with a majority TOC vote
Stanza
Reapply in future for Spring review
Pravega
Passes with a majority TOC vote
Kyverno
Passes with a majority TOC vote
Dataset Lifecycle Framework
Reapply in future for Spring review, but also consider another AI + Data community -  https://lfaidata.foundation

Re: Sandbox Projects included from September 8 TOC meeting

andy shi

During the last CNCF sandbox review, the TOC wanted the K8s upstream to provide opinions of project OpenKruise. After the meeting, we reached out to Sig Apps and K8s Steering committee. The Steering committee directed us to Sig Arch instead. Since then, we have had discussions with both Sigs. For your convenience, I'm pasting both responses below.
In summary, both Sigs evaluated the OpenKruise project and suggested OpenKruise is better to stay as an outside project instead of becoming part of upstream K8s.
We have done our due diligence and hope to get another vote at the next review meeting.

Best Regards,
Andy Shi on behalf of project OpenKruise

From Matt of Sig Apps:
"
We discussed OpenKruise in Kubernetes SIG Apps. I can now answer questions asked of SIG Apps. In the meeting what OpenKruise is building was discussed along with how things could operate between SIG Apps as a sandbox project or K8s SIG sponsored project.
We're happy to see these experiments and want to support them, but we wondered if it makes more sense for them to belong within the purview of the Kubernetes project rather than as a standalone project?

Experiments happen all over. For example, OpenShift's work lead to what we now have as the Workloads APIs. We don't believe they need or should be part of the Kubernetes project. It is perfectly fine for them to be either k8s SIG sponsored projects, CNCF projects, or some other project.

In this case OpenKruise desires to operate as a sandbox project and SIG Apps is supportive of that. We have a path to collaborate as needed.

My understanding is that OpenKruise intends to eventually contribute successful experiments to upstream Kubernetes anyway.

This is more difficult. Upstream Kubernetes won't likely accept every new type of controller. The direction is generally to have them installed as 3rd party controllers. The bar to move something into core Kubernetes is now very high.

Some successful features may make it into Kubernetes core. Others will likely always be recommended to be handled as 3rd party.

OpenKruise can have successful 3rd party CRDs and controllers that do not go into Kubernetes itself. I expect this case to be likely.

If the Kubernetes project would actually prefer these experiments to take place in a separate project, does that make OpenKruise the natural home for all workload-related CRD ideas, or some other scope?

SIG Apps does not believe there should be one home for "all workload-related CRD ideas". They can happen in many places and innovation can happen under many projects. How those projects organize around people and governance may vary.

I hope this helps answer the questions of SIG Apps. If there are more I'm happy to try and chase them down.

And, thanks for pointing OpenKruise at SIG Apps. It lead to a good conversation.

Regards,
Matt Farina"

From John of Sig Arch:
"We discussed this in the SIG Architecture meeting today. While generally workload controllers are within scope of the Kubernetes project, it is up to SIG Apps to decide if they are willing to take these on as SIG-sponsored projects. As Matt suggests, it's fine for these to exist as external workload controllers.

With respect to upstreaming, the preference of SIG Arch would be to see individual features move into existing workload controllers as they mature, rather than creation of whole new controllers. The goal here would be to avoid a proliferation of controllers that makes choices very difficult for consumers. Of course, if there is some fundamental difference between the new controller and all existing ones, then a new one may be warranted. But creation of a new one should be done with an abundance of caution. Again this would ultimately be the decision of SIG Apps.

Thanks,
John"

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 1:05 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The TOC has reviewed the current Sandbox projects applying for inclusion.

The projects included are:
Backstage
Tremor
metal3-io
Porter
OpenYurt
Open Service Mesh

Other projects not brought to vote:
checkov - further conversation needed re: roadmap, holding for updated roadmap
protop - no roadmap! https://github.com/protop-io/protop#roadmap Should this be a subproject of gRPC? TOC would like feedback from the gRPC project.
Dataset Lifecycle Framework - next steps: TOC conversation with SIG Storage, Kubernetes COSI KEP
OpenKruise - discussion with Kubernetes Steering Committee needed, SIG Apps - should this be a subproject?
Predator - no clear roadmap, resubmit with clearer roadmap
SchemaHero - no clear roadmap, resubmit with clearer roadmap
Keylime - scheduled for next closed meeting, September 22

As part of this process, we've now added a new question to the sandbox proposal form: "Why do you want to contribute your project to the CNCF? What would you like to get out of being part of the CNCF?"

Welcome to these new sandbox projects!

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

sandeep lahane

+1

Regards
Sandeep Lahane
Founder & CEO | Deepfence Inc

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 10:33 PM Gadi Naor via lists.cncf.io <gadi=alcide.io@...> wrote:
+1 NB

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 6:02 PM Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...> wrote:
+1 binding.

-alena.

On Oct 7, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Gadi NaorCTO & Security Plumber

US.   2443 Fillmore St, San Francisco, CA, 94115
IL.    5 Miconis St, Tel Aviv, 6777214
M. +972-52-6618811
Web.      www.alcide.io
GitHub. github.com/alcideio

Follow us on LinkedInFollow us on Twitter

Complete Kubernetes & Service Mesh Security.
Bridging Security & DevOps.

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Gadi Naor

[...]

Romaric Philogène

+1 binding

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 5:02 PM Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...> wrote:
+1 binding.

-alena.

On Oct 7, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Romaric Philogène
CEO & Co-founder | Qovery

Backed by Techstars

Phone : +33 601 226 575
Email : romaric@...
Address : 128 rue la Boétie, 75008 Paris - France

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Alena Prokharchyk

+1 binding.

-alena.

On Oct 7, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Agenda for 11/3

We'll be meeting tomorrow at 8am Pacific.
Highlights include a review of the CNF Conformance and SIG Updates.

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Katie Gamanji

+1 binding

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:01 PM Saad Ali via lists.cncf.io <saadali=google.com@...> wrote:
+1 binding

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 2:18 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

etcd call for public comment

Amye Scavarda Perrin

The etcd project has applied for graduation:  https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/541

Xiang Li is the TOC sponsor and has called for public comments.

The public comment period is now open for 2 weeks, and all SIGs, end users, TOC members, and community members are welcome to comment by replying to this thread.

Thank you!
- amye

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Saad Ali

+1 binding

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 2:18 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Re: Linkerd Community Anchor program

Lee Calcote

Thank you for sharing, Catherine. This is reminiscent of the Layer5 MeshMates program. Contributors and users can’t be encouraged enough.

- Lee

On Oct 27, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Catherine Paganini <catherine@...> wrote:

All, to encourage/incentivize/enable users to share their Linkerd stories with the community, our team launched the Linkerd Community Anchor program (to learn more, check out this CNCF blog).

Catherine

Linkerd Community Anchor program

Catherine Paganini <catherine@...>

All, to encourage/incentivize/enable users to share their Linkerd stories with the community, our team launched the Linkerd Community Anchor program (to learn more, check out this CNCF blog).

Catherine

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Dan Shaw

+1 nb

Dan Shaw
@dshaw
Always bet on Node.js ✨

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Stephen Augustus

+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 12:01 Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Joe Searcy

+1 NB

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin wrote:

The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [cncf-sig-security] Cloud Native Security Whitepaper is open for review and comment

Matt Jarvis

This is great stuff ! Very well put together white paper.

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 at 22:01, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
FYI this is great work and should get greater input