Date

Re: [URGENT] Impending deletion of Helm 2 releases and charts buckets

Arvind Gupta

I would recommend setting up a URL forwarding from old repos to new repos, so that charts are maintained at new locations but old URL references continue to work.

Thanks,
-Arvind

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:24 PM Saad Ali via lists.cncf.io <saadali=google.com@...> wrote:
TOC Folks,

I want to bring https://github.com/helm/community/issues/114 to your attention.
This has the potential for causing a lot of pain to users.

The buckets are scheduled to be deleted on Nov 13, 2020, per the original deprecation plan. As that date is fast approaching, it is becoming clear that doing so could cause major issues. Per Brian's comment on the bug "The usage of the charts storage buckets hasn't decreased at all. It's higher than when the deprecation was announced last October. There have been about 3.5 accesses per second on average over the last 12 hours."

The Helm project has been trying very hard to get the word out, migrating what they can, and pointing people to chartcenter.io (which has copies of both incubator and stable as an alternative).
But the hard part to fight is the countless posts/examples on stackoverflow/other sites, and the many vendors who apparently haven't migrated yet.

Given that and the bucket usage metrics, the fear is that the number of people still using the old repos may be under-estimated, and shutting down the buckets could cause many unanticipated outages. The long lead time was supposed to be about getting users off, but that result does not appear to be achieved yet.

As TOC, should we consider alternative options such as transitioning ownership of these resources to CNCF to ensure a longer runway for deprecation?

Regards,

Saad Ali

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Dave Zolotusky

+1 binding

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 11:18 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

~Dave

Cloud native "reference/demo" application

Reitbauer, Alois

I am using this list as it most likely reaches the widest audience in the CNCF.

In recent discussions in the app delivery SIG we came to the conclusion that a reference application would make sense that a) has most of the characteristics of real world applications b) can be used to demonstrate good practices and also how certain CNCF tools can be used to solve common problems.

Having a reference application – or multiple -  when we are talking about app delivery makes a lot of sense.

Looking at the most widely used applications you undoubtedly end up with Hipstershop, Sockshop or one of their variants. While these apps are nice to demo what a cloud-native application can look like, they also miss key characteristics like stateful workloads, third party integrations, secrets, multi-stage configurations, databases, …. .

I also assume that many CNCF project have their own demo applications to demonstrate their capabilities.

Alexis made the proposal to fork one of more of the demo applications over in a CNCF demo-apps org. This, however, only makes sense if there is active development on this demo.  It might be even better to have the demo app together with the development community behind actively participate in the CNCF – by e.g. donating the app as a sandbox project.

So, to get more concrete, a couple of questions to get feedback on:

  • Do you think it makes sense to have a cloud-native demo app?
  • If you run a project to you have an app for demos and would you want to contribute to a joined demo app?
  • If you think it makes sense, what would be your preferred idea to move this forward (donate, fork, create new ….)

Obviously, as this idea matures this need direction and discussion in the TOC. I am using this email to kick off the discussion and collect some first data points.

// Alois

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Andrés Vega

+1 NB.

As the lead reviewer for the upcoming sig-security assessment, the project appears to have done a fair amount of due diligence from a precursory look at the prepared draft.

Andres

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Kevin Wang

+1 nb

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Archy k

+1 NB

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 5:46 PM Jon Mittelhauser <jon.mittelhauser@...> wrote:

+1 nb

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Sheng Liang via lists.cncf.io" <sheng=rancher.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:00 PM
To: "aprokharchyk@..." <aprokharchyk@...>, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

+1 binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io" <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding

-alena.

On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 AM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Jon Mittelhauser

+1 nb

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Sheng Liang via lists.cncf.io" <sheng=rancher.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:00 PM
To: "aprokharchyk@..." <aprokharchyk@...>, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io" <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding

-alena.

On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 AM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Sheng Liang

+1 binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io" <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding

-alena.

On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 AM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Brendan Burns

+1, binding

--brendan

发件人:Adam FitzGerald via lists.cncf.io<adam.fitzgerald=hashicorp.com@...>
日 期:2020年10月09日 03:17:29
收件人:<chris@...>
抄 送:<sheng@...>; justin.cormack@...<justin.cormack@...>; Amye Scavarda Perrin<ascavarda@...>; CNCF TOC<cncf-toc@...>
主 题:Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

+1 non-binding

Regards
Adam

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:25 AM Chris Short via lists.cncf.io <chris=chrisshort.net@...> wrote:

He/Him/His

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Sheng Liang via lists.cncf.io <sheng=rancher.com@...> wrote:

+1 binding

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Justin Cormack via lists.cncf.io" <justin.cormack=docker.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:00 AM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding.

Thanks to all the people who helped me with due diligence for this project.

Justin

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:18 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Siddharth Bhadri

+1 NB

Thanks & Regards,

Siddharth Bhadri
Software Engineer

Infoblox | Next Level Networking
sbhadri@...
  |  www.infoblox.com

signature_1658144380

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Justin Cormack via lists.cncf.io" <justin.cormack=docker.com@...>
Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 2:00 AM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding.

Thanks to all the people who helped me with due diligence for this project.

Justin

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:18 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Justin Cormack

+1 binding.

Thanks to all the people who helped me with due diligence for this project.

Justin

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:18 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Stephen Augustus

+1 nb

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 17:18 Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Gadi Naor

+1 NB

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 1:18 AM Joe Beda <jbeda@...> wrote:

+1 NB.

As I’ve worked with the teams here at VMware working on CNB I’ve been impressed with the approach and the advantages.  I think the more structured image building approach provides a ton of benefits for situations where users need more… structure.

Joe

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 2:18 PM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

Gadi NaorCTO

US.   2443 Fillmore St, San Francisco, CA, 94115
IL.    5 Miconis St, Tel Aviv, 6777214
M. +972-52-6618811
Web.      www.alcide.io
GitHub. github.com/alcideio

Follow us on LinkedInFollow us on Twitter

Securing Kubernetes & Service Mesh.
Anywhere.
Bridging Security & DevOps.

Cloud Native Virtual Summit is October 6-8.    Register HERE

Re: (CAUTION - EXTERNAL) [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Scott Fulton

+1NB

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM Owens, Ken <ken.owens@...> wrote:

+1NB