Date

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

-alena

On Feb 19, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

Gadi Naor

+1 nb

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:38 PM Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Gadi NaorCTO & Security Plumber

US.   2443 Fillmore St, San Francisco, CA, 94115
IL.    5 Miconis St, Tel Aviv, 6777214
M. +972-52-6618811
Web.      www.alcide.io
GitHub. github.com/alcideio

Follow us on LinkedInFollow us on Twitter

Complete Kubernetes & Service Mesh Security.
Bridging Security & DevOps.

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

Ricardo Aravena

+1 nb

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

Ken Haines <Kenneth.Haines@...>

+1 non-binding

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

Kunal Parmar <kunal@...>

+1 non-binding

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

CAUTION: External Email

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567 [github.com])

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0 [docs.google.com]

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679 [lists.cncf.io]

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

kensipe

+1 NB

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

banu.parasuraman@wipro.com

+1 ,

GitOps is the Way

Banu A Parasuraman

Chief Technologist – Cloud Native

+1-734-9287788

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Toni Menzel via lists.cncf.io" <toni.menzel=rebaze.com@...>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 at 1:03 PM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Flux for incubation

CAUTION:This email is received from an external domain. Open the hyperlink(s) & attachment(s) with caution.
.

+1 non-binding. Go GitOps! ;)

rebaze GmbH | Develop Like Tomorrow

Developer focused Technology Consulting & Cloud Native Infrastructure.

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin via lists.cncf.io <ascavarda=linuxfoundation.org@...>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

Jeff Billimek

+1 nb

Re: [VOTE] Flux for incubation

Michelle Noorali <michelle.noorali@...>

+1 binding

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

Joe Beda <jbeda@...>

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

[VOTE] Flux for incubation

Amye Scavarda Perrin

The Flux project has applied to move from sandbox to incubation: (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/567)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6yPN9-bWeVGpMrBxXJ3NBTBYZowJ3R93wKHEVmBJ1A/edit#heading=h.kd4eg2uz3lt0

Michelle Noorali has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5679

Re: [cncf-flux-maintainers] [cncf-toc] Flux for Incubation Public Comment Period

Michelle Noorali <michelle.noorali@...>

Sounds great. We're ready to call for a vote then if you'll do the honors @Amye.

Thanks all.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:16 PM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
Thanks Michael, Daniel & Stefan for your responses - this all seems reasonable to me so you can consider my comments resolved :-)

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 6:37 PM Michael Bridgen <michael@...> wrote:
Hi Liz, Michelle, all,

Stefan and Daniel have responded on individual points. I'll attempt to fill in the remainder --

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 14:17, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
I see the note that Flux is working on a broader project description, which is great. Is this close? If it's possible I'd love to have this in place so that CNCF doesn't end up promoting a description that is out of date.

The discussion in https://github.com/fluxcd/flux2/discussions/620 may run for a while. Current project descriptions for Flux are a little vague (my fault) and don't account for recent developments like Flagger being included; but I don't think they mischaracterise Flux. If they are not quite fit for official communications, we'll happily work with CNCF folks to tighten them up -- or indeed, put more effort into bringing #620 to a conclusion.

As I understand it the idea is to include Flagger as part of Flux in this move to Incubation? It's part of the gIthub.com/fluxcd org. But a couple of notes on the Flagger docs that I would like to see resolved before incubation:
* The intro page says "Flagger is a Cloud Native Computing Foundation project." but doesn't mention that it's part of Flux
* Uses the Weave logo (though I see this is noted as a to-do in the DD doc)

These are now resolved, as Stefan reported.

Looks like lots of work went into helping users transition from Flux v1 to v2. Do we know what proportion of end users have made the migration? When the Technology Radar put it in the "adopt" category, would this have referred to v1, v2, or a mixture?

There is good circumstantial evidence that people are migrating from v1, in addition to those coming new to Flux v2:

 - there's a steady stream of people asking about using image update automation (a Flux v1 feature that's only recently been added to Flux v2). Some of those people mention holding off migration until they can use the automation, and some people appear to be migrating in two stages (without automation first, and planning to add the automation when ready);
 - similarly, people asking about updating from Helm operator (v1) to Helm controller (v2) -- this was made more urgent by Helm2 being deprecated, of course;
 - we get a lot of engagement from people who want parts of Flux v2 to work a little more like v1 (e.g., people weighing in on https://github.com/fluxcd/kustomize-controller/pull/253)

However, I'm afraid we don't have telemetry or other data from which to calculate the proportion of Flux v1 end users that have migrated.

The CNCF Technology Radar is based on reports from Flux v1 users only -- v2 was at version 0.0.1 at the time the radar was published. I feel that being placed in the "Adopt" category of the radar is not simply a one-off endorsement, but sets the bar to keep measuring ourselves against. In consequence, there's a strong impetus to help people migrate their systems to v2, and give them plenty of time, so they don't feel stranded and let down.

Something of a small aside - I think the first Q&A in this FAQ about Argo / Flux collaboration reflects the current status, but do the subsequent questions reflect what the aspirations were originally in the Flux/Argo collaboration? And those are no longer being worked on together, right?

Thanks for pointing that out -- after the first question, the FAQs there are out of date. Daniel has given things a nudge.

Cheers,
Michael

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 2:00 PM Michelle Noorali via lists.cncf.io <michelle.noorali=microsoft.com@...> wrote:
Hello,

Flux is applying for incubation status:
DD has been reviewed by myself and SIG App Delivery. We've also conducted interviews with end users. We are supportive of Flux going into incubation. We are now calling for the 2 week public comment period prior to the vote.

Thank you,

Michelle Noorali

Re: [cncf-flux-maintainers] [cncf-toc] Flux for Incubation Public Comment Period

Liz Rice

[...]

1501 - 1520 of 7192