Date

Re: [VOTE] Tech Lead nomination for SIG Observability: Bartłomiej Płotka

Alena Prokharchyk

+1 binding.

-alena

On Jul 9, 2020, at 3:45 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Matt Young and Richard Hartman of SIG Observability have nominated Bartłomiej Płotka as Tech Lead.
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/4592

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Tech Lead nomination for SIG Observability: Bartłomiej Płotka

Ken Haines <Kenneth.Haines@...>

Ken

Marco Pracucci <marco@...>

+1 NB

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Justin Cormack via lists.cncf.io <justin.cormack=docker.com@...> wrote:
+1 binding

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 11:45 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Matt Young and Richard Hartman of SIG Observability have nominated Bartłomiej Płotka as Tech Lead.
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/4592

Re: [VOTE] Tech Lead nomination for SIG Observability: Bartłomiej Płotka

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 11:45 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Matt Young and Richard Hartman of SIG Observability have nominated Bartłomiej Płotka as Tech Lead.
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/4592

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

Gadi Naor

-1 NB ... from a security perspective, i cant up vote this project despite my appreciation - at this point I am concerned  on how a fork maintain security patches of mainline k8s.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:03 AM Jimmy Song <jimmysong@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding

On Aug 2, 2020, at 10:42 AM, wuheng <wuheng@...> wrote:

+1 NB

发自 WPS邮箱客戶端
在 Mofei Zhang <mofei2816@...>,2020年8月1日 19:34写道:

+1 NB

On Jul 31, 2020, at 23:04, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

k3s has applied for inclusion into the sandbox: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/447.

Liz Rice has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5081

Mofei Zhang
Architect , JD.com
Maintainer , ChubaoFS

--
Gadi NaorCTO

US.   2443 Fillmore St, San Francisco, CA, 94115
IL.    5 Miconis St, Tel Aviv, 6777214
M. +972-52-6618811
Web.      www.alcide.io
GitHub. github.com/alcideio

Follow us on LinkedInFollow us on Twitter

Securing Kubernetes & Service Mesh.
Anywhere.
Bridging Security & DevOps.

Agenda for 8/4

We'll be meeting tomorrow with a SIG update meeting.

Agenda: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jpoKT12jf2jTf-2EJSAl4iTdA7Aoj_uiI19qIaECNFc/edit#
Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1197FJB18hUjZHY2A3XsTL8Y46aqJmB4hfESB4-ccHVo/edit#slide=id.g25ca91f87f_0_0

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@linuxfoundation.org

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

김 진용 <jykim@...>

+1 NB

JINYONG KIM 김진용

CEO | 대표이사

NexCloud   http://www.nexcloud.co.kr http://www.nexclipper.io

O 02-533-8622  M +82 10-2048-8697  F 02-533-8623
06192 서울특별시 강남구 선릉로 428

보낸 사람: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>(wuheng <wuheng@...> 대신)
날짜: 2020 8 2 일요일 오전 11:43
받는 사람: "mofei2816@..." <mofei2816@...>, "ascavarda@..." <ascavarda@...>
참조: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
주제: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

+1 NB

WPS箱客戶端

Mofei Zhang <mofei2816@...>202081 19:34道:

Jimmy Song <jimmysong@...>

+1 non-binding

On Aug 2, 2020, at 10:42 AM, wuheng <wuheng@...> wrote:

+1 NB

发自 WPS邮箱客戶端
在 Mofei Zhang <mofei2816@...>,2020年8月1日 19:34写道:

+1 NB

On Jul 31, 2020, at 23:04, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

k3s has applied for inclusion into the sandbox: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/447.

Liz Rice has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5081

Mofei Zhang
Architect , JD.com
Maintainer , ChubaoFS

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

k3s has made it clear that it is not a fork and that is not the road it is going down.
It is a distro, and I feel that distros are valuable work in open source, with many examples.
The sandbox is a place for experiments, and allowing it in does not prejudge what road it may
take from here on.

Justin

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:04 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
k3s has applied for inclusion into the sandbox: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/447.

Liz Rice has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5081

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

Darren Shepherd

I'm probably jumping into the conversation uninformed and without context.  I just want to make it very clear k3s is in no way shape or form a fork.  There is nothing technically correct about calling it a fork. While k3s does include some modifications to k8s code (about 300 lines or less), it is completely inline with the spirit of Linux distributions that carry their own patches for upstream components.  The patches we carry largely have to do with enabling how k3s packages k8s (single binary).

Furthermore k3s has a proven track record already of keeping inline with every k8s minor and patch release. Patch releases are released withing days or in the case of a CVE the same day.  Minor releases sometimes take a couple weeks to deliver, but we are trying to get that to day. We have zero intention of diverging from upstream.

Please, please do not call k3s fork. It isn't a fork. I understand why some might have come to that conclusion, but it's neither technically true or the intention of the project.

Darren

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Friday, July 31, 2020 at 9:14 AM
To: aprokharchyk@... <aprokharchyk@...>, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [Suspected Spam] Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox
-1 non-binding.

I’m deeply concerned about the idea that CNCF is accepting what appears to be a Kubernetes fork into sandbox.

The statements about “encouraging upstream” seem like good intentions only.

Kubernetes as a project has, in my opinion, succeeded in part because of the community dedication to staying upstream and not forking.

For clarity, I would be strongly in favor of k3s being part of Kubernetes upstream.

-Bob

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io" <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...>
Date: Friday, July 31, 2020 at 9:09 AM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [cncf-toc] [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

+1 binding.

-alena.

On Jul 31, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

k3s has applied for inclusion into the sandbox: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/447.

Liz Rice has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5081

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

Brendan Burns

+1, binding.

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io" <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...>
Date: Friday, July 31, 2020 at 9:09 AM
To: Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 binding.

-alena.

On Jul 31, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

k3s has applied for inclusion into the sandbox: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/447.

Liz Rice has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5081

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

Saad Ali

Abstain

Unfortunately I missed the "Joint CNCF TOC/Kubernetes Steering Committee" meeting. But I talked to some folks afterwards to fill me in.

Overall, I'd like to avoid setting precedent that a project unable to generate consensus within the Kubernetes community, can bypass the community by going straight to the CNCF.
While that may not be what happened here, k3s feels very similar to Kind (https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/kind) and minikube (https://github.com/kubernetes/minikube) both of which are Kubernetes sub-projects.
I would like to to see k3s follow the same approach as those projects and apply to become a k8s sub-project first, rather than a standalone CNCF sandbox project.
This would ensure consistency, and give me confidence that Kubernetes experts have reviewed the project. Even if the k8s community ultimately says no, it wouldn't mean automatic no for a stand alone CNCF project, but would provide valuable insight for a CNCF application.
While I realize that building technical consensus is hard, especially in a project as large as Kubernetes, I believe doing so is critical for healthy communities.

Why not vote "-1"? The revised CNCF Sandbox project guidelines lower the bar for sandbox, making it a *tool* that can be used by anyone who needs a neutral place to host IP and collaborate on new projects with minimal overhead rather then a stepping stone towards incubation/graduation. This lets the TOC and CNCF SIGs to be more discriminating for incubation/graduation projects (only accept projects at that level that "makes sense in the CNCF ecosystem") while allowing the sandbox to serve as a test bed for innovation.

Re: [VOTE] TiKV Graduation

Liu Tang

+1, NB

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

Reitbauer, Alois

+1 nb

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Phil Estes via lists.cncf.io" <estesp=gmail.com@...>
Reply to: "estesp@..." <estesp@...>
Date: Friday, 31. July 2020 at 17:13
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

+1 nb

  • Phil Estes

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

Sheng Liang

<ascavarda@...> wrote:

> k3s has applied for inclusion into the sandbox: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/447.
>
> Liz Rice has called for the vote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5081
>
> Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread.
>
> Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!
>
> --
> Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] k3s for Sandbox

wuheng