Date

Re: [WG Platforms] "Platforms for cloud-native computing" whitepaper content ready - please review!

Josh Gavant

Hi folks - we've opened this issue to capture discussion and feedback and will finalize and merge this PR once everyone has a chance to review. If you want to have a public discussion about anything in the paper consider commenting on those. Alternatively, feel free to reach out to all of us in #wg-platforms on Slack or even DM me there 😊.

Re: [WG Platforms] "Platforms for cloud-native computing" whitepaper content ready - please review!

Josh Gavant

Thanks for the feedback Emily. Responses:

> Are you all planning to add any use cases or user stories about organizations that have built a platform for cloud native computing in a future version?

This version lists ~5 generic use cases here gathered from our research and customer work but the main purpose of that list is to help readers grasp the concepts.

We'd like to directly gather user stories and use cases in support or refutation of ideas in the paper and other new ideas in a vendor-neutral way and publish them in our repos. Can folks share guidance with us on how to reach CNCF customers, ideally without involving vendors? We propose a survey at time of publication and would also pursue interviews of those customers. The data and unstructured comments we gather would be shared openly.

> Are you also planning to provide guidance or information to projects that are working on making a user experience on a platform better – the specific needs adopters building out platforms would have?

We propose to go a level deeper into all the attributes and capabilities the paper enumerates for platforms, including adopting a product/customer-centric mindset and providing good user experiences. Here's the issue where we're tracking product mindset work explicitly, please help us: https://github.com/cncf/tag-app-delivery/issues/282. I personally hope we'll eventually refine understanding of the capabilities enabled by portals like Backstage (which may be on your mind :D) - e.g. component catalog, template engine, doc framework and search.

We're just starting to pursue opportunities within capability domains to simplify, standardize and reduce complexity for platform builders and users, check out all our labelled issues here: https://github.com/cncf/tag-app-delivery/labels/wg-platforms

containerd fuzzing audit

Adam Korczynski <Adam@...>

Hello all,

containerd recently completed their fuzzing audit which resulted in a comprehensive fuzzing suite running continuously by way of OSS-Fuzz and in the CI covering multiple critical parts of the code base. The fuzzers found 4 issues, including a memory-exhaustion vulnerability of moderate severity.

You can read more about the audit in this blog post: https://www.cncf.io/blog/2023/03/02/containerd-completes-fuzzing-audit/

Many other projects have completed fuzzing audits, including Vitess, Argo, Kubernetes, Cluster-API, Cilium. You can read more about fuzzing the CNCF landscape here: https://www.cncf.io/blog/2022/06/28/improving-security-by-fuzzing-the-cncf-landscape/.

If you wish to have a fuzzing audit carried out for your CNCF-hosted project, please reach out to the CNCF.

Kind regards,
Adam Korczynski
Security Engineer, Ada Logics

ADA Logics Ltd is registered in England. No: 11624074.
Registered office: 266 Banbury Road, Post Box 292,
OX2 7DL, Oxford, Oxfordshire , United Kingdom

Qualified Nominees for TOC Elected Seat, 2023

Pleased to announce the nominees for the TOC elected seat for 2023.

Ricardo Aravena
Erin Boyd
Phil Estes
Rey Lejano
Saiyam Pathak
Xing Yang

Ballots are distributed to the TOC members at this time, this election will complete on March 14, 2023 at noon Pacific.

--
Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

New Sandbox Projects as of 3/7

Amye Scavarda Perrin

Two new projects have been approved by the TOC:
Clusternet - https://github.com/cncf/sandbox/issues/10#issuecomment-1458527529
Inspektor Gadget - https://github.com/cncf/sandbox/issues/7#issuecomment-1458528110

Welcome new sandbox projects!

--
Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [WG Platforms] "Platforms for cloud-native computing" whitepaper content ready - please review!

Emily Fox

This is a great read Josh!  Are you all planning to add any use cases or user stories about organizations that have built a platform for cloud native computing in a future version? Are you also planning to provide guidance or information to projects that are working on making a user experience on a platform better – the specific needs adopters building out platforms would have?  I'm not sure if these are current needs, however there has been more interest from adopters around this topic, what makes a good platform, challenges in sustaining, etc.

~Emily Fox

Agenda for March 7 TOC meeting

We'll be meeting tomorrow at 8am Pacific.
Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cBsHyFWJ3tMU8_VFYRe_pJF-M-UZ56HBdUF62420i78/edit#slide=id.g25ca91f87f_0_0

--
Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

[RESULT] OpenKruise approved for incubation

Amye Scavarda Perrin

OpenKruise has been approved for incubation: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/7763

+1 Binding
9/11