Stephen Augustus

As I understand it, https://maintainers.cncf.io/ holds the aggregate maintainers for CNCF project.

-- Stephen

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:46 PM Shubhra Kar <skar@...> wrote:
I would suggest we add access for all the maintainers of the project and anyone on the governance committees (example TSCs).

Do you maintain a maintainers.md file or better for us to just scan the repos and find the contributors ?

Kind Regards,

Shubhra Kar
CTO and GM of Products and IT
tweet: @shubhrakar

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
thanks, how do I share these with the flux maintainers and community

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 4:59 PM Vasu Naidu <vnaidu@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,

You should have access to the security reports of the flux project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

https://security.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/#/a0941000002wBz4AAE/foundation-details

Regards,

Vasu

From: St Leger, Jim <jim.st.leger@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:06 AM
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, alexis richardson <alexis@...>, Pranab Bajpai (pbajpai@...) <pbajpai@...>, Vasu Naidu (vnaidu@...) <vnaidu@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: RE: [cncf-toc] security & CNCF projects

+ Pranab and Vasu (product/eng leads on LFX I believe.)

Jim

From: St Leger, Jim <jim.st.leger@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:06 AM
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, alexis richardson <alexis@...>, Pranab Bajpai (pbajpai@...) <pbajpai@...>, Vasu Naidu (vnaidu@...) <vnaidu@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

From: St Leger, Jim <jim.st.leger@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:06 AM
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, alexis richardson <alexis@...>, Pranab Bajpai (pbajpai@...) <pbajpai@...>, Vasu Naidu (vnaidu@...) <vnaidu@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

+ Pranab and Vasu (product/eng leads on LFX I believe.)

Jim

How do we see project data?  I wanted to take a look at flux.  I had to create a login.  Then, I had to "request" a view, which turned out to mean filing a JIRA ticket.  Since then, tumbleweed.

Can we have something more open & useful please?

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra)

Re: security & CNCF projects

alexis richardson

Yes, please.

To your general point -- I have a view that if Snyk (or similar) offers a free scanning service to CNCF projects, then the community should benefit.  These are completely standard scanning tools used by many.  I am sure external attackers already have this info.  Don't hold it back, there is NO benefit.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
That depends on your viewpoint, the maintainers ideally should make that call per project based on whatever security process they have in place for the project. You can have a view that maintainers should know first before external attackers? Also a lot of thes security tools can have false positives and so on that may not reflect reality, so it's a bit of a nuanced topic.

If your project wants access to these security tools or others, feel free to file a SD ticket! https://github.com/cncf/servicedesk#tools - in this case Alexis, I'll have someone on my team reach out and get flux squared away. However, most of these are already free for open source projects so you can readily just adopt them yourselves.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 9:33 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
I see.  Well, I'm not.

This info should be open to all, without any barriers whatsoever

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, 15:29 Matt Jarvis, <matt@...> wrote:
I think what Chris means is that if you are already scanning with Snyk, then you won't see anything different in the LFX feed.

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 14:42, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Thanks Chris

It would be great if this data was readily accessible.   I don't think packing into GH actions provides that, however useful it may be for other purposes

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra)

Re: security & CNCF projects

Vasu Naidu <vnaidu@...>

Jim,

We are looking into, let me get back to you with an update.

Regards,

Vasu

---
Sr. Director, Head Of Engineering
Cell: 1.408.420.0404

Slack: @Vasu

signature_151163572

From: St Leger, Jim <jim.st.leger@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:06 AM
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, alexis richardson <alexis@...>, Pranab Bajpai (pbajpai@...) <pbajpai@...>, Vasu Naidu (vnaidu@...) <vnaidu@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

+ Pranab and Vasu (product/eng leads on LFX I believe.)

Jim

How do we see project data?  I wanted to take a look at flux.  I had to create a login.  Then, I had to "request" a view, which turned out to mean filing a JIRA ticket.  Since then, tumbleweed.

Can we have something more open & useful please?

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra)

Re: security & CNCF projects

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

Matt Jarvis

[...]

Re: Agenda for TOC Meeting for 2/16

Lee Calcote

Apologies - will miss TOC liaison discussion today.

No electricity or water in my area. No/limited cellular. Hoping this message catches a signal before tomorrow’s call.

-Lee

On Feb 15, 2021, at 3:24 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Hi all,
We'll be meeting tomorrow at 8am Pacific.
We'll have a short discussion about TOC liaisons with the SIGs, and then have an open floor for discussion.

Thanks!
-- amye

Re: security & CNCF projects

St Leger, Jim

[...]

security & CNCF projects

alexis richardson

Hi all

Has anyone looked at this?

How do we see project data?  I wanted to take a look at flux.  I had to create a login.  Then, I had to "request" a view, which turned out to mean filing a JIRA ticket.  Since then, tumbleweed.

Can we have something more open & useful please?

Agenda for TOC Meeting for 2/16

We'll be meeting tomorrow at 8am Pacific.
We'll have a short discussion about TOC liaisons with the SIGs, and then have an open floor for discussion.

Thanks!
-- amye

Re: [cncf-flux-maintainers] [cncf-toc] Flux for Incubation Public Comment Period

Michael Bridgen

Hi Liz, Michelle, all,

Stefan and Daniel have responded on individual points. I'll attempt to fill in the remainder --

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 14:17, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
I see the note that Flux is working on a broader project description, which is great. Is this close? If it's possible I'd love to have this in place so that CNCF doesn't end up promoting a description that is out of date.

The discussion in https://github.com/fluxcd/flux2/discussions/620 may run for a while. Current project descriptions for Flux are a little vague (my fault) and don't account for recent developments like Flagger being included; but I don't think they mischaracterise Flux. If they are not quite fit for official communications, we'll happily work with CNCF folks to tighten them up -- or indeed, put more effort into bringing #620 to a conclusion.

As I understand it the idea is to include Flagger as part of Flux in this move to Incubation? It's part of the gIthub.com/fluxcd org. But a couple of notes on the Flagger docs that I would like to see resolved before incubation:
* The intro page says "Flagger is a Cloud Native Computing Foundation project." but doesn't mention that it's part of Flux
* Uses the Weave logo (though I see this is noted as a to-do in the DD doc)

These are now resolved, as Stefan reported.

Looks like lots of work went into helping users transition from Flux v1 to v2. Do we know what proportion of end users have made the migration? When the Technology Radar put it in the "adopt" category, would this have referred to v1, v2, or a mixture?

There is good circumstantial evidence that people are migrating from v1, in addition to those coming new to Flux v2:

 - there's a steady stream of people asking about using image update automation (a Flux v1 feature that's only recently been added to Flux v2). Some of those people mention holding off migration until they can use the automation, and some people appear to be migrating in two stages (without automation first, and planning to add the automation when ready);
 - similarly, people asking about updating from Helm operator (v1) to Helm controller (v2) -- this was made more urgent by Helm2 being deprecated, of course;
 - we get a lot of engagement from people who want parts of Flux v2 to work a little more like v1 (e.g., people weighing in on https://github.com/fluxcd/kustomize-controller/pull/253)

However, I'm afraid we don't have telemetry or other data from which to calculate the proportion of Flux v1 end users that have migrated.

The CNCF Technology Radar is based on reports from Flux v1 users only -- v2 was at version 0.0.1 at the time the radar was published. I feel that being placed in the "Adopt" category of the radar is not simply a one-off endorsement, but sets the bar to keep measuring ourselves against. In consequence, there's a strong impetus to help people migrate their systems to v2, and give them plenty of time, so they don't feel stranded and let down.

Something of a small aside - I think the first Q&A in this FAQ about Argo / Flux collaboration reflects the current status, but do the subsequent questions reflect what the aspirations were originally in the Flux/Argo collaboration? And those are no longer being worked on together, right?

Thanks for pointing that out -- after the first question, the FAQs there are out of date. Daniel has given things a nudge.

Cheers,
Michael

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 2:00 PM Michelle Noorali via lists.cncf.io <michelle.noorali=microsoft.com@...> wrote:
Hello,

Flux is applying for incubation status:
DD has been reviewed by myself and SIG App Delivery. We've also conducted interviews with end users. We are supportive of Flux going into incubation. We are now calling for the 2 week public comment period prior to the vote.

Thank you,

Michelle Noorali

Re: [cncf-flux-maintainers] [cncf-toc] Flux for Incubation Public Comment Period

Stefan Prodan <stefan@...>

Hi Liz,

We've updated the Flagger logo on the docs website including all diagrams. The description now states that Flagger is part of the Flux family.
Please let us know if there is something else we need to address around Flagger.

Thanks,
Stefan

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 at 12:30, Daniel Holbach <daniel@...> wrote:
Hello everybody,

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 11:40, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:

Something of a small aside - I think the first Q&A in this FAQ about Argo / Flux collaboration reflects the current status, but do the subsequent questions reflect what the aspirations were originally in the Flux/Argo collaboration? And those are no longer being worked on together, right?

In argoproj/gitops-engine#126 I updated the FAQ to reflect the current situation, but didn't want to update the rest of FAQ as I didn't want to speak for the Argo project. I just filed argoproj/gitops-engine#218 as a reminder to update the other FAQ entries as well.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

Re: Flux for Incubation Public Comment Period

Daniel Holbach

Hello everybody,

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 11:40, Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:

Something of a small aside - I think the first Q&A in this FAQ about Argo / Flux collaboration reflects the current status, but do the subsequent questions reflect what the aspirations were originally in the Flux/Argo collaboration? And those are no longer being worked on together, right?

In argoproj/gitops-engine#126 I updated the FAQ to reflect the current situation, but didn't want to update the rest of FAQ as I didn't want to speak for the Argo project. I just filed argoproj/gitops-engine#218 as a reminder to update the other FAQ entries as well.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

Re: Flux for Incubation Public Comment Period

Liz Rice

Thanks Michelle, and everyone involved in putting this DD together! I have a few questions so I have copied in the Flux maintainers list too.

[...]

Liz

[...]

Re: TOC Election Results for GB and End User Seats

Richard Hartmann

Congratulations and thank yous for old and new TOC members. This set
of people a solid choice, indeed.

On a janitorial level, I think it would be great if company
affiliations could be listed alongside announcements.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin
<ascavarda@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Many thanks to all who participated in the process!
I'm pleased to announce the results of the TOC Election for the GB and End User selected seats for 2021.

End User selected seats:
Dave Zolotusky
Ricardo Rocha (term ends 2022)

GB appointed seats:
Erin Boyd
Cornelia Davis
Lei Zhang

Many thanks to Brendan Burns, Matt Klein and Xiang Li for their work here!

--
Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@linuxfoundation.org

741 - 760 of 6397