Date

Re: Storage Patterns for container native - community content

alexis richardson

+benh

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Alex Chircop via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

We are making some updates to the doc based on some of the feedback.

I do agree, we need to show how cloud native is different in terms of how you deploy and rebuild a POD, but I also believe that users are interested in how to manage the persistence that is required by the POD in terms of the databases, object stores, message queues and  instrumentation/logs that provide the services that POD requires for persistence.   The classes of storage that are used to build these services in terms of accessibility, performance, scalability, qos, portability are important, policy/scheduler based decisions such as security, encryption and placement are key, and for some there may still be dependencies on replication, snapshots etc …    This is why we wanted to flesh out some of the storage primitives that would be considered.

Question – would this discussion and the content that we are working on be a suitable topic for the newly defined storage working group ?

Thanks,

Alex

From: Yaron Haviv <yaronh@...>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017 at 06:48
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, "Kitson, Clinton" <Clinton.Kitson@...>, "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

Subject: RE: [cncf-toc] Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Alex,

I agree with Clinton’s point that we want to focus on what makes Cloud-Native different, not sure covering all the legacy Storage protocols serves that purpose

There are too many users today that try to fit VM concepts into Cloud-Native and take us out of focus

The key point is allowing continuous development and ops, elasticity, distribution, ..

Looking at the 12 factors, notions of Stateless & immutable tasks, Service bindings (to data), Atomicity are enabling that

It’s a different craft than today’s storage approached as I highlighted in my blog post, e.g. you don’t snapshot/backup a POD, you build it from a Git tag

You use message queues to enable elastic scaling and fault-tolerance, you store data using atomic operations (to Obj/NoSQL) vs trust file-systems to flush data out and risk inconsistent states. For the guys who would argue they want to snapshot stateful services like Mongo/Cassandra/Object, a short reminder is those are un-coordinated scaled-out instances, and in many cases versioning and re-builds are built into it

Yaron

[...]

Clint Kitson

Technical Director

{code} by Dell EMC

---

[...]

Today's TOC meeting - slides

alexis richardson

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS project proposal (inception)

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Also, Camille, please note that CoreDNS (along with all of the other smaller projects) will be holding a salon at CloudNativeCon/KubeCon Berlin on March 30, at which we're hoping to attract new users, and potentially new developers. The OpenTracing salon in Seattle got good reviews and so we're expanding the format.

Also a reminder that we just crossed over 1,000 attendees for Berlin, and will likely be selling out, so that is an excellent time to get your tickets.

Re: [cncf-ci-public] GSOC 2017 prospective applicant

Chris Aniszczyk

Please make your SOC related requests on GitHub by filing a GitHub issue:

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Shrenik Jain <shrenik.jain@...> wrote:
Hi,

I am a pre final year B.Tech and MS by research student at International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad. I am proficient in python, C++ and Java. I am interested in contributing to project "Develop a set of Jupyter Notebooks for the Python Client". I have prior experience with working on docker containers and swarm and kubernetes clusters. Kindly guide me to some tasks to some initial contributions to the project to prove my candidature for the same.

Regards,
Shrenik

GSOC 2017 prospective applicant

Shrenik Jain <shrenik.jain@...>

Hi,

I am a pre final year B.Tech and MS by research student at International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad. I am proficient in python, C++ and Java. I am interested in contributing to project "Develop a set of Jupyter Notebooks for the Python Client". I have prior experience with working on docker containers and swarm and kubernetes clusters. Kindly guide me to some tasks to some initial contributions to the project to prove my candidature for the same.

Regards,
Shrenik

Re: CNCF TOC Open Agenda - call for topics

Swarna Podila (Avi Networks) <swarna@...>

Agreed.  This comes up often; we need documentation resources about the projects and on how these projects compare/contrast with vendor-supported solutions.

Best,
Swarna.

On Feb 27, 2017, 6:41 AM -0800, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>, wrote:
+1 good topic.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Boulle
<jonathan.boulle@...> wrote:
I'd like to talk again about the CNCF providing documentation resources for
projects.

On 27 February 2017 at 15:05, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

all,

post the Tahoe f2f we agreed to run with a more "open agenda" for TOC
calls.

PLEASE feel free to post topics to this thread over next 24 hours, and
I'll work with Chris A to devise an Agenda for the 1st March call this
week.

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS project proposal (inception)

alexis richardson

good advice, thank-you

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I'm +1, with the strong encouragement for this project to find more active committers. It really looks like a one-person show right now. Comparing to our other inception project, which has 7 people who seem to have more than 25 commits, this project has only 1 person who dominates the commit history. But I think we can do inception with the current status.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Benjamin Hindman via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Brian Grant via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Ram, J via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> +1
>
> ________________________________

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Watch the Video .See how Verizon is tackling
IoT with DC/OS

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS project proposal (inception)

Camille Fournier

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

[...]

CNCF speaking opportunities

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

CNCF will be sponsoring and helping to program content for the events below. We would encourage you to have engineers from your companies propose talks on Kubernetes and other cloud native related topics. We have travel funding available for women and other under-represented minority presenters.

OpenStack
Boston, MA - May 8 - 11
Kubernetes Day (May 9)
CFP - closes on March 20

Open Source Summit Japan
Tokyo, Japan - May 31 - June 2
CFP - closes on March 4
Co-located Automotive Linux Summit
June 1
CFP - closes March 4
Fluentd Mini-Summit
June 1
CFP - closes on March 15

LinuxCon ContainerCon CloudOpen
Beijing, China - June 19 - June 20
CFP - closes on March 18

Open Source Summit North America
Los Angeles, CA - September 11 - 13
CFP - closes on May 6

Open Source Summit Europe
Prague, Czech Republic - October 23 - 25
CFP - closes on July 8

Questions? Please contact me and Katie Schultz <kschultz@...>.
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@linuxfoundation.org>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>

Re: Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Yaron Haviv

[...]

Re: ANN: Formation of Working Groups

Camille

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

An agenda item for the TOC f2f was the possible formation of "working
groups".  These have come up a number of times in the last 9+ months
since the TOC formed.  The idea is to spawn CNCF TOC discussions off
into their own groups, with a stated topic and chairperson.

I am pleased to report that the TOC have reached consensus on this,
following discussions in Tahoe.

CNCF now has:

* Storage WG chaired by Ben Hindman
* CI WG chaired by Camille Fournier
* Cluster WG chaired by Bryan Cantrill

For now, WGs are chaired by TOC voting members.  This is not a
perpetual requirement.  Let's keep it that way until we know more.

As with CNCF OSS projects, WGs will be as self-governed as possible.
Some norms may emerge in time and even become rules.

As of today:
* Feel free to contact the named people to join discussions.
* Feel free to initiate discussions on the CNCF TOC list, pending
creation of lists / docs / whatever the WGs need.
* Feel free to request updates

Re: Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Kitson, Clinton <Clinton.Kitson@...>

[...]

email: Clinton.Kitson@...
mobile: "+1 424 645 4116"
team: codeDellEMC.com