Date

Re: [VOTE] Envoy project proposal (incubation)

alexis richardson

Elaboration

As sponsors Ken and I spoke with several users of Envoy as well as conducting normal diligence.  We were greatly helped by in depth tech DD conducted by Tigers and Google.  Also three major users responded privately.

I am delighted to endorse Envoy and its team/community.

Thanks to Matt Klein for making this process swift and precise.

Alexis

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, 14:54 Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

+1

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, 14:53 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Envoy is a high performance C++ distributed proxy, communication bus and universal data plane designed for large microservice service mesh architectures. Envoy runs alongside every application and abstracts the network by providing common features in a platform-agnostic manner. When all service traffic in an infrastructure flows via an Envoy mesh, it becomes easy to visualize problem areas via consistent observability, tune overall performance, and add substrate features in a single place.

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/43

[...]

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Santosa, Andy

+1

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Xu Wang via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

+1 & count me in.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 3:23 AM, Erin Boyd via cncf-toc cncf-toc@... wrote:
+1 I would be very interested in several of the tasks.

Erin

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Bassam Tabbara <bassam@...>

+1 happy to help with DD on projects.

On Aug 22, 2017, at 2:39 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Jong Choi

+1. Please count me in.

Interested and willing to be involved in and contribute to the technical activities around application focus projects.

Thanks,

Jong

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Gianluca Arbezzano <gianarb92@...>

Great opportunity

On 22 Aug 2017 9:39 p.m., "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Doug Davis <dug@...>

+1, please add me to the list.

Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc ---08/22/2017 02:39:57 PM---To all TOC community, People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 08/22/2017 02:39 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Meenakshi Kaushik

+1

Count me in.

Meenakshi

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Timothy Chen

+1 and love to be involved, especially around projects involving scheduling and data related.

Tim

Email: quinton.hoole@...m   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Irena

Please count me in too. Would love to be involved.

BR,
Irena
Senior Architect (Huawei)

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Pengfei Ni

Hi Alexis,

+1. Count me in. Would love to be involved in.

Best regards.

---
Pengfei Ni @Hyper

Github: @feiskyer
Email:  feiskye@...

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Cathy zhang

Hi Alexis and Chris,

+1 on the proposal. Count me in. I would be happy to help. I am currently helping writing the Serverless Workgroup white paper.

Thanks,

Cathy

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

alexis

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Arun Gupta

Hi Alexis,

Yep, this is very much needed. Count me in!

Arun (from AWS)

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

Diane Mueller

+1 I see this as a key training/proving ground for future TOC & BG members

Count me in!

Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Steven Tan via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Alexis, Chris

+1 Please count me in as well.

Steven Tan

OpenSDS

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

Email: quinton.hoole@huawei.com   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 14:39
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

To all TOC community,

People have been asking "how can the TOC get more help to get things done?".  The TOC welcomes help from people who are both capable and willing.  Specifically we could use hands-on help with things like WGs, technical DD and content creation.

We believe that recognition is important for many reasons, and so it is proposed that "TOC Contributors" be a thing.  A sketch of this idea is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n3c5K0S8d4iHPScFHUEEY9cIzffWfJj-mhtN8fsd570/edit?ts=5992e231

As with similar proposals we can iterate towards a vote.  Feedback via the draft doc is now solicited from the community.  Or just comment on this list: "+1", "yay, but ..", "over my dead body", etc.

Re: Introducing "TOC Contributor" role

alexis richardson

ambassador is outbound, DX, "office of the cto" type role.

TOC contributor is inward facing, "product", oriented towards TOC deliverables

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...> wrote:
I like more community involvement but I think we need clarification on how contributors and ambassadors are different?​ What role does each play and where is there overlap? When signing up to be a contributor or ambassador what is expected of you?

I know both are still being defined but I think having too many ways to get involved may cause confusion.

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com