Date

Re: Cloud Native Infrastructure book

Lee Calcote

Justin,

I’ve been in discussion with Brian over the past month in wrapping up a title (on container orchestration) and moving on to co-authoring here. We’d yet to reach out… until now. :)

- Lee

On Jan 31, 2017, at 3:23 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:

Hi all

I have encouraged Justin to post here because I think this is worthy
of promotion within the group & community. "PTAL" as they say!

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Justin Garrison via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
Hello,

I'm working on a book with O'Reilly on Cloud Native Infrastructure. The book
is focusing on general practices and ideas for how you should set up your
infrastructure to manage cloud native applications. It will show examples
with CNCF projects but I hope to not go too in depth (1-2 chapters per
project) so I can still reference other books/resources if readers want to
dig deeper into a project. The book isn't targeting a single cloud and I
hope to keep the design principles as generic as possible so readers can
replicate the ideas in any cloud including on-premises.

The reason I'm emailing the list is I'm going to need some help (this is my
first book). Thank you everyone who has already reached out to me and
offered assistance. I'll reply as soon as I'm able to. Right now I'm looking
for the following resources.

Co-author: I believe, and Brian from O'Reilly agrees, having a co-author
could help the process for areas I'm not strong in, getting more immediate
feedback, and obviously sharing the load of writing a book. The book is
going to be a 6-8 month commitment. If anyone is interested or has
suggestions for someone they'd recommend please have them email me.
Reference resources: white papers, case studies, and other books on
infrastructure design. I've already read a lot of books/papers on the
subject but I'm sure there's some I've missed. The Linux Foundation is also
working on making their case studies available for the book. Let me know if
you have any favorites so I can make sure I reference them.
Example applications for each project focus. I don't plan to build one giant
application throughout the book but rather focus on one small application
per chapter and explain why a certain project/idea is beneficial to have. An
example would be something that sends a lot of logs and show examples of why
fluentd implements log collection in a cloud native way vs relying on
syslog.

I have already submitted the book proposal and am moving forward with the
project but haven't actively started writing. I'm still gathering/organizing
thoughts and information. If anyone has resources they'd be able to share
please send them.

Thank you for any help you can provide and I'm sure I'll be asking the
community for more reviews and feedback in the coming months.

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com

Re: Cloud Native Infrastructure book

alexis richardson

Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...>

[...]

FYI: CNCF Applying to GSOC 2017; Call For Project Ideas + Mentors

Chris Aniszczyk

CNCF is applying as a mentoring organization to Google Summer of Code this year:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/

If you're interesting in mentoring and/or have a project idea to contribute, please list it here:

So far we have ideas from k8s, fluentd and opentracing, with other CNCF projects in the process of collecting project ideas + mentors.

DRAFT TOC slides for Feb 2017 meeting tomorrow

alexis richardson

comments welcome - some good stuff tomorrow, and this is last call before tahoe

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13hNfPU8zGwKv9X5VnbG6mxD_xf10kAVNhOXqmJFcwkk/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

FYI: CloudNativeCon/KubeCon EU schedule is live!

Chris Aniszczyk

Re: [RESULT] linkerd project proposal

alexis richardson

My pleasure

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 17:53 William Morgan, <william@...> wrote:
Thank you! And thank you very much for your support and help along the way.

-William

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Congratulations!

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 16:18 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Re: [RESULT] linkerd project proposal

William Morgan

Thank you! And thank you very much for your support and help along the way.

-William

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Congratulations!

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 16:18 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Re: [RESULT] linkerd project proposal

alexis richardson

Chris we should add that topic to the f2f

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 16:32 Chris Aniszczyk, <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
All CNCF projects are currently incubating or inception, none have graduated at the moment.

It's something we are working on later this year as the graduation criteria was recently accepted:

Thanks!

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Lee Calcote <leecalcote@...> wrote:
Exciting! Are any other projects currently in inception or have all others graduated?

On Jan 23, 2017, at 10:21 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

[...]

Gabe Monroy

Congrats, well deserved!

On Jan 23, 2017, at 9:21 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Congratulations!

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 16:18 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Re: [RESULT] linkerd project proposal

alexis richardson

Congratulations!

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 16:18 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

[RESULT] linkerd project proposal

Chris Aniszczyk

Re: [cncf-gb] New GB chair

Todd Moore

Thank you Alexis, and others for your confidence.

Todd M. Moore

Vice President IBM Open Technology

11501 Burnet Rd. MS 9035H014
Austin, TX , 78758. (512) 286-7643 (tie-line 363)
tmmoore@...

Alexis Richardson via cncf-gb ---01/20/2017 03:35:46 PM---+toc Congratulations Todd!

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-gb <cncf-gb@...>
To: Dan Kohn <dan@...>, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: cncf-gb@...
Date: 01/20/2017 03:35 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-gb] New GB chair
Sent by: cncf-gb-bounces@...

+toc

Congratulations Todd!

mailto:dan@...>
https://cncf.io/>
> tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: [cncf-gb] New GB chair

alexis richardson

Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@linuxfoundation.org>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: [VOTE] linkerd project proposal

Dustin Kirkland <dustin.kirkland@...>

+1

Cheers!
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Product & Strategy
Canonical, Ltd.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
Hey CNCF TOC community, it's time to vote on the linkerd
(https://linkerd.io/) proposal as an inception level project, you can view
the proposal below in this email or on GitHub:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/25

Please vote +1/0/-1

---

Name of project: linkerd

applications. It is a layer 5/7 proxy that provides fully decentralized
request-level reliability and optimization to service communication,
including latency-aware load balancing, retries, failure handling, circuit
breaking, and deadlines. It provides granular metrics (both of itself and of
downstream services), distributed tracing, TLS, a powerful logical routing
layer, and integration with most common service discovery mechanisms.

Applications use linkerd by proxying HTTP, gRPC, or Thrift calls through a
local linkerd instance. In many cases, integration with linkerd is a config
change (e.g. setting an http_proxy environment variable) rather than a code
change. Linkerd acts as a transparent proxy, and so a call to (e.g.
"http://foo/bar") will be routed to the appropriate cluster, resolved in
service discovery, load balanced, retried, and returned without application
code being aware.

Linkerd is built on top of Finagle (https://twitter.github.io/finagle/), the
high-concurrency RPC library that powers companies like Twitter, Soundcloud,
Pinterest, and ING Bank. By staying close to the Finagle codebase, linkerd
takes advantage of Finagle’s extensive production usage
(https://github.com/twitter/finagle/blob/develop/ADOPTERS.md). Linkerd’s
primary author is a core contributor to Finagle.

Sponsor / Advisor from TOC: Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@coreos.com>

Unique Identifier: linkerd

License: Apache License v2.0

Maturity Level: Inception

Source control repositories: https://github.com/linkerd

Initial Committers (leads): Oliver Gould (Buoyant) [@olix0r] and Alex Leong
(Buoyant) [@adleong]

Infrastructure requirements: CI and potentially CNCF Community Cluster
access. We run integration tests per commit (e.g. testing Kubernetes API
integration) and periodic high-volume stress tests.

Issue tracker: https://github.com/linkerd/issues

Website: https://linkerd.io/

Community: Active & growing!

Primarily focused on https://slack.linkerd.io (~400 members)

~1200 GitHub stars

~25 contributors

Release methodology and mechanics: Code review on all changes. Releases
triggered manually by developer team. Using pre-1.0 semver semantics.

Social media accounts: Twitter: @linkerd, Slack: http://slack.linkerd.io/

Existing sponsorship: https://buoyant.io/

External Dependencies: Runtime: JVM. Build-time: Finagle, netty

Statement on alignment with CNCF mission:

Linkerd directly addresses the communications challenges of running
microservices at scale, and integrates directly with orchestrated
environments such as Kubernetes and DC/OS. Linkerd integrates with two
existing CNCF projects: it can use the Kubernetes API directly as a service
discovery mechanism, and it exposes metrics in Prometheus format. See this
blog post
(https://blog.buoyant.io/2016/10/04/a-service-mesh-for-kubernetes-part-i-top-line-service-metrics/)
for an example of linkerd, Kubernetes and Prometheus working together.

Production Usage:

Monzo: used in production; k8s-based infra
(https://monzo.com/blog/2016/09/19/building-a-modern-bank-backend/)

NCBI: used in production w/Consul

Quid: used in production

Douban: used in production

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: used in production; DC/OS-based infra

Olark: used in production; k8s-based infra
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nhQwbe8OY&index=107&list=PLj6h78yzYM2PqgIGU1Qmi8nY7dqn9PCr4)

Other Contributors:

Currently ~25; >50% non-Buoyant by headcount:
https://github.com/BuoyantIO/linkerd/graphs/contributors?type=a

Re: [VOTE] linkerd project proposal

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

+1 -- with my apologies for the tardy vote.

        - Bryan

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Benjamin Hindman via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hey CNCF TOC community, it's time to vote on the linkerd (https://linkerd.io/) proposal as an inception level project, you can view the proposal below in this email or on GitHub: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/25

Please vote +1/0/-1

---

Name of project: linkerd

Description: Linkerd is an open source service mesh for cloud-native applications. It is a layer 5/7 proxy that provides fully decentralized request-level reliability and optimization to service communication, including latency-aware load balancing, retries, failure handling, circuit breaking, and deadlines. It provides granular metrics (both of itself and of downstream services), distributed tracing, TLS, a powerful logical routing layer, and integration with most common service discovery mechanisms.

[...]

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Watch the Video .Learn how Verizon serves millions
of users in real time with DC/OS

RFC: CNCF TOC Meeting at OSLC Tahoe 2017

Chris Aniszczyk

The TOC requested that we work together on planning an agenda for the TOC F2F in Tahoe:

Feel free to modify and suggest topics for the agenda.

TOC slides for today