From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM
Subject: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup
To: <krb@...>, <leecalcote@...>, <jonathan.boulle@...>, <john.gossman@...>, <roagarwa@...>, <alexis@...>, <padalap@...>, <jie@...>, <madhu.venugopal@...>, <cdl@...>, <dbansal@...>, <benh@...>, <kenowens@...>

hi all, I notice that many people who want to dial into these calls are not invited! can this be fixed please.

eg bryan @weaveworks
eg the google k8s people
eg others who have got in touch via email & on the lists

CNCF Networking Workgroup

-- Do not delete or change any of the following text. --

Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number: 209 025 613
Meeting password: rGvE59St (74835978 from phones)

Join from a video conferencing system or application
Dial 209025613@...
From the Cisco internal network, dial *267* and the 9-digit meeting number. If you are the host, enter your PIN when prompted.

If you are a host, go here to view host information.

Join by phone
+1-408-525-6800 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
+1-866-432-9903 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
Access code: 209 025 613
Global call-in numbers | Toll-free calling restrictions

Can't join the meeting? Contact support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this WebEx service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session..

When
Wed Apr 26, 2017 5pm – 6pm London
Where
WebEx (map)
Who
kenowens@... - organizer
Alexis Richardson - creator
Deepak Bansal (AZURE)
Jonathan Boulle (jonathan.boulle@...)
Keith Burns (krb)
Benjamin Hindman
Madhu Venugopal
Pradeep Padala (padalap)
Rohit Agarwalla (roagarwa)
Christopher Liljenstolpe (cdl@...)
John Gossman
Jie Yu

Re: Vitess follow up

Chris Aniszczyk

Once you're an official CNCF project, most of these benefits are included so it's not an issue :)

The next step would be to finalize the TOC sponsor (Brian), potentially sketch out a proposal (you can find examples one here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/tree/master/proposals) and on the next CNCF TOC call, have the TOC discuss whether to formally invite the project for a proposal per request of the TOC sponsor (Brian).

I'll respond to your specific points below:

- Help with marketing & PR. This is one area we're severely lacking.

We take care of this for projects and I think it's one of the most valuable things we provide for CNCF projects (also conference space etc). We list most of the benefits on this page: https://www.cncf.io/projects/

- Advocacy through the ambassador program.

- Take over funding (and ownership) of vitess.iovitess.slack.io, github repository, travis builds, and other CI & CD resources.

In terms of financial and neutral ownership, not a problem either.

- Help with setting up governance.

This we can help with if projects request it. For example, we are currently working with the Prometheus team to finalize their governance and more than willing to help if projects request it.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
That's a great list.

Chris, what are your thoughts?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 02:48 Sugu Sougoumarane, <sougou@...> wrote:
Hi Alexis,

Here are areas where we'd love to get help for Vitess:

- Help with marketing & PR. This is one area we're severely lacking.
- Advocacy through the ambassador program.
- Take over funding (and ownership) of vitess.io, vitess.slack.io, github repository, travis builds, and other CI & CD resources.
- Help with setting up governance.

I'm still working on the product comparison (distracted by the Percona conference). I'll try to get that done by next week.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Sugu

Thank-you.  Those are good reasons!  Are there specific places where
you'd like help winning or keeping more contributors?

Look forward to your view on systems & tradeoffs.  Can I humbly ask
that you include Cockroach, Rethink & Goshawk?  Maybe others.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Sugu Sougoumarane via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> Hi Chris, Alexis,
>
> For the license, we already intend to change it to ALv2:
> https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2694.
>
> For the comparison of various systems and trade-offs, we'll try to put
> something together in the next few days.
>
> As for why we're excited about wanting to join CNCF, I think this issue
> describes it well: https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2670.
>
> PS: Thanks for the adopters suggestion on github. I'll work on that, and
> also see if we can feature them on vitess.io.
>
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
> <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
>>
>> Also in terms of process, I believe Brian Grant on today's call has
>> expressed interest in sponsoring the project from the TOC. I'd suggest at a
>> following or next TOC meeting to decide whether the TOC desires to formally
>> invite the project.
>>
>> Another thing to bring up is that Vitess is currently under the BSD-3
>> license (https://github.com/youtube/vitess/blob/master/LICENSE), which isn't
>> a major issue, but we will have to decide what approach to take (move to
>> ALv2 or go for an exception) if they become a project.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
>> <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sugu
>>>
>>> Thank you again for your pres today.
>>>
>>> What would *help Vitess the most* from a project advancement & end user
>>> POV?  How can CNCF help?

>> --
>> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Vitess follow up

alexis richardson

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> Hi Chris, Alexis,
>
> For the license, we already intend to change it to ALv2:
> https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2694.
>
> For the comparison of various systems and trade-offs, we'll try to put
> something together in the next few days.
>
> As for why we're excited about wanting to join CNCF, I think this issue
> describes it well: https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2670.
>
> PS: Thanks for the adopters suggestion on github. I'll work on that, and
> also see if we can feature them on vitess.io.
>
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
> <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
>>
>> Also in terms of process, I believe Brian Grant on today's call has
>> expressed interest in sponsoring the project from the TOC. I'd suggest at a
>> following or next TOC meeting to decide whether the TOC desires to formally
>> invite the project.
>>
>> Another thing to bring up is that Vitess is currently under the BSD-3
>> license (https://github.com/youtube/vitess/blob/master/LICENSE), which isn't
>> a major issue, but we will have to decide what approach to take (move to
>> ALv2 or go for an exception) if they become a project.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
>> <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sugu
>>>
>>> Thank you again for your pres today.
>>>
>>> What would *help Vitess the most* from a project advancement & end user
>>> POV?  How can CNCF help?

>> --
>> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Vitess follow up

Sugu Sougoumarane

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> Hi Chris, Alexis,
>
> For the license, we already intend to change it to ALv2:
> https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2694.
>
> For the comparison of various systems and trade-offs, we'll try to put
> something together in the next few days.
>
> As for why we're excited about wanting to join CNCF, I think this issue
> describes it well: https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2670.
>
> PS: Thanks for the adopters suggestion on github. I'll work on that, and
> also see if we can feature them on vitess.io.
>
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
> <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
>>
>> Also in terms of process, I believe Brian Grant on today's call has
>> expressed interest in sponsoring the project from the TOC. I'd suggest at a
>> following or next TOC meeting to decide whether the TOC desires to formally
>> invite the project.
>>
>> Another thing to bring up is that Vitess is currently under the BSD-3
>> license (https://github.com/youtube/vitess/blob/master/LICENSE), which isn't
>> a major issue, but we will have to decide what approach to take (move to
>> ALv2 or go for an exception) if they become a project.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
>> <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sugu
>>>
>>> Thank you again for your pres today.
>>>
>>> What would *help Vitess the most* from a project advancement & end user
>>> POV?  How can CNCF help?

>> --
>> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Q&A on Moby Project & CNCF?

Solomon Hykes

On Sunday, April 23, 2017, Yaron Haviv <yaronh@...> wrote:

Solomon,

Seems like there is interest to learn about Moby beyond the TOC

Saw your TheCUBE interview and Moby does make sense, sort of the Linux and RedHat/Fedora model if I got it right

Yes that's exactly right. What Fedora/RHEL did for the early Linux movement, we are hoping to do for the container movement with Moby/Docker.

The things that need interpretation are:

in the Linux/Fedora model many of the components come from the community and have open governance and not owned by RedHat, they just test and package based on project maturity and customer demand, its unlikely to see successful (non RedHat) Linux projects that don’t make it to of the Fedora and RedHat package

Moby seems very focused on Docker Inc components, e.g. would you support a commercial package that take your best parts with say Kubernetes or other CNCF projects.

That is exactly what we are encouraging. Moby is designed to support any component that can be containerized, regardless of who is behind it. Moby doesn't "own" the components: it helps assemble them for downstream integration or upstream development.

We showed several demos at the Dockercon keynote to illustrate that point: we used Moby to assemble various proof-of-concepts from eg. prometheus, etcd, redis, and kubernetes. The closing demo was a collaboration with Ilya Dmitrichenko from Weave to build a custom "kubernetes for mac" prototype using Moby. I think the audience liked it :)

Another concern is how do we create more collaboration on the open-source/common parts (like Linux) and less fragmentation with overlapping vendor specific projects that don’t have open governance models or common abstractions/interchangeability

This seems like a valid concern but I don't understand what you mean exactly. Could you give me an example of outcome you'd like to avoid, or encourage?

Thanks, Yaron

Hi all, this week Docker launched an important new project: the Moby project (http://mobyproject.org). Moby will allow Docker to better collaborate with the ecosystem in general, and the CNCF in particular.

Several people from the CNCF community have asked questions about it, and how it relates to CNCF. I thought it might be useful to allocate time on the TOC call to take questions.

What do you think?

Re: Q&A on Moby Project & CNCF?

Yaron Haviv

[...]

Sounds good, let's get this on agenda for May, probably first call on May 3

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 23:39 Swarna Podila via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
That would be helpful.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM Duncan Johnston-Watt via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1 for CNCF community at large.

Best
--
Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Sent from my iPhone

Swarna Podila <swarna@...>

[...]

--Swarna.

Re: Q&A on Moby Project & CNCF?

Duncan Johnston-Watt <duncan.johnstonwatt@...>

+1 for CNCF community at large.

Best
--
Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation
+44 777 190 2653 | @duncanjw

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Apr 2017, at 01:11, Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Hi all, this week Docker launched an important new project: the Moby project (http://mobyproject.org). Moby will allow Docker to better collaborate with the ecosystem in general, and the CNCF in particular.

Several people from the CNCF community have asked questions about it, and how it relates to CNCF. I thought it might be useful to allocate time on the TOC call to take questions.

What do you think?

Q&A on Moby Project & CNCF?

Solomon Hykes

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

[...]

Re: Agenda for TOC 4/19/17 Meeting

Gianluca Arbezzano <gianarb92@...>

mmm I need to double check into the thread. Let's keep this out. I will confirm next meeting :)

Gianluca, has Camille reviewed this?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM Gianluca Arbezzano via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I am happy to share something about this proposal:

I shared it via wg-ci some week ago, in practice, we didn't move that much. But I am happy to hear something from you if I can.

With my apologies for the late notice, I'm unable to make the call this morning due to a meeting that I can't move; talk to you in two weeks.

           - Bryan

On Apr 18, 2017 7:22 PM, "Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Here's the draft agenda deck for tomorrow: https://goo.gl/1PJscF

The main topics are:
Networking WG Update / Recommendations
- Community presentation from Vitess (https://github.com/youtube/vitess)

I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow on the call!

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

With my apologies for the late notice, I'm unable to make the call this morning due to a meeting that I can't move; talk to you in two weeks.

           - Bryan

On Apr 18, 2017 7:22 PM, "Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Here's the draft agenda deck for tomorrow: https://goo.gl/1PJscF

The main topics are:
Networking WG Update / Recommendations
- Community presentation from Vitess (https://github.com/youtube/vitess)

I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow on the call!

Re: Agenda for TOC 4/19/17 Meeting

Doug Davis <dug@...>

The doc hasn't really been touched in a while so we might have all the reviews/comments we're going to get. I did a little bit of clean-up around the "What should a CNCF WG do in this space?" section so I think getting some eyes on that would be good. Whether we discuss it this week or next time is fine with me.

thanks
-Doug Davis

Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc ---04/19/2017 07:43:39 AM---thanks Mark! can you be sure to remind me & chris to get this discussed in the next TOC in 2-3 week

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Mark Peek <markpeek@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 04/19/2017 07:43 AM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Agenda for TOC 4/19/17 Meeting
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

thanks Mark!  can you be sure to remind me & chris to get this discussed in the next TOC in 2-3 weeks?

feel free to add reminder to today's TOC deck

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM Mark Peek <markpeek@...> wrote:

On 4/19/17, 7:21 AM, "cncf-toc-bounces@... on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc-bounces@... on behalf of cncf-toc@...> wrote:

    thanks Chris

    ** urgent ** if anyone has any adds for today please shout out.

    eg: do we want to have a recap on next steps for Serverless
    discussion, or wait till after Dockercon?

    On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
    <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
    > Here's the draft agenda deck for tomorrow: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_1PJscF&d=DwICAg&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=guabfC-f8fFYbN_-NG4ozDvopr9AE_oGI5dhoTYxMKY&m=itR0uKc7LSf8HjMGncQKaNQDz1QZp-qkRZF2Avp-GD8&s=wdDFgb-amate1HlWvgho2Uebw0vPiG2H7XcjbgsFivA&e=
    >
    > The main topics are:
    > - Networking WG Update / Recommendations
    > - Community presentation from Vitess (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_youtube_vitess&d=DwICAg&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=guabfC-f8fFYbN_-NG4ozDvopr9AE_oGI5dhoTYxMKY&m=itR0uKc7LSf8HjMGncQKaNQDz1QZp-qkRZF2Avp-GD8&s=jmCPxpwzC7uFLPhYdSCia0X0sQRIJcAPKWiavbfSNlE&e= )
    >
    > I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow on the call!
    >
    > --
    > Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Re: Agenda for TOC 4/19/17 Meeting

alexis richardson

thanks Mark!  can you be sure to remind me & chris to get this discussed in the next TOC in 2-3 weeks?

feel free to add reminder to today's TOC deck

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM Mark Peek <markpeek@...> wrote:
Given dockercon might take away availability and attention I’d be fine with moving further serverless discussion out to the next meeting. Perhaps a reminder to review/comment on the notes document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L9n9tkGuGtj7Ap9dVRes9RVscSoXeKsF3k-d2hJcDlg/edit

Mark