Date

Re: Followup: Today's CNCF TOC Call + Project Next Steps

Brian Grant

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
We had a full TOC meeting today with three community presentations!!!:

The next steps would be for a TOC member to sponsor and invite the project for a formal proposal. If you're interested in doing this, please let us know by replying here.

I'd like to sponsor both containerd and rkt. It's important for CNCF to own and foster the foundational technology for cloud-native computing. Having both containerd and rkt in CNCF would be a great outcome for the CNCF, for Kubernetes, and for the container and cloud ecosystems. Kubernetes and other container orchestrators need reliable, community-driven container runtimes scoped to container execution. Each runtime has its own strengths and use cases, and I hope that induction into CNCF unlocks opportunities for broader collaboration.

As for Heron, I'm not seeing the demand for Storm/Heron. For example, Google trends:

Spark still has a lot of steam, and AIUI the trend (e.g., using Apache Beam) is towards unified batch and streaming.

More broadly, though, I would like to see CNCF become a good home for container/orchestrator-friendly data-processing platforms, as that critical category of workloads benefits from closer integration with the underlying orchestration platform.

--Brian

Followup: Today's CNCF TOC Call + Project Next Steps

Chris Aniszczyk

We had a full TOC meeting today with three community presentations!!!:

The next steps would be for a TOC member to sponsor and invite the project for a formal proposal. If you're interested in doing this, please let us know by replying here.

today's TOC slides in PPT format

alexis richardson

for ziad and others behind *walls

sign up here if you will be in berlin

alexis richardson

Re: Call for agenda

alexis richardson

done! (thanks Chris A)

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@huawei.com> wrote:
Hi Alexis

Please add (to the CI section of slide 8):

· Proposal - A CI Workflow Platform for the CNCF
https://goo.gl/50UoRt

(as per the email that you kindly forwarded yesterday)

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via
cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 06:45
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Call for agenda

All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Call for agenda

Quinton Hoole

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 06:45
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

DRAFT TOC slides for today

alexis richardson

Re: Call for agenda

alexis richardson

noted, added

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Chris McClimans <hh@ii.coop> wrote:
It would be great to gain some momentum by mentioning this thread on
the TOC call.

Soliciting CI requirements via Project GitHub Issues (and mailing list)

https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-ci-public/2017-March/000027.html

hh@ii.coop

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Call for agenda

Hippie Hacker

<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

[cncf-ci-public] Proposal - A CI Workflow Platform for the CNCF

Chris Aniszczyk

This may be relevant to the wider TOC. If you're interested in CI, please get involved.

From: Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 3/14/17 7:11 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Solomon Hykes <solomon.hykes@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Call for agenda

Looking forward to the containerd proposal!

Alexis, I would also like to have the rkt maintainers do a short presentation on this call to propose donating the project into CNCF as well.

As container execution engines, rkt and containerd are similar projects, but follow very different architectural/design choices. At the same time, they strive for broader compatibility with each other and the ecosystem by implementing and working with standards like those developed in OCI or integrating with Kubernetes.

I think this is an excellent opportunity for us to show that we will foster and encourage projects within CNCF that overlap or compete but are critical to the core of cloud-native systems.

cheers,
Jonathan

On 14 March 2017 at 07:08, Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello, I would like to invite the containerd maintainers to discuss a formal proposal to donate containerd into CNCF. When we discussed it in person there seemed in Tahoe there seemed to be strong interest, and we're at a point where we are ready to find a new home for the project. We also made a commitment to donate it by the end of Q1, so we are just in time to meet that deadline.

On Monday, March 13, 2017, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Call for agenda

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

Agreed!

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

[...]

Great, thanks!

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 09:25 Gianluca Arbezzano, <gianarb92@...> wrote:
Hello

Thanks a great idea! I am following both communities and CFNC can be a very good home for containerd.

Solomon

Thanks very much!  We can get this onto TOC agenda for tomorrow.

All,

Heron is also presenting.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 06:08 Solomon Hykes, <solomon.hykes@...> wrote:
Hello, I would like to invite the containerd maintainers to discuss a formal proposal to donate containerd into CNCF. When we discussed it in person there seemed in Tahoe there seemed to be strong interest, and we're at a point where we are ready to find a new home for the project. We also made a commitment to donate it by the end of Q1, so we are just in time to meet that deadline.

On Monday, March 13, 2017, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

Re: Call for agenda

[...]

Solomon Hykes

Hello, I would like to invite the containerd maintainers to discuss a formal proposal to donate containerd into CNCF. When we discussed it in person there seemed in Tahoe there seemed to be strong interest, and we're at a point where we are ready to find a new home for the project. We also made a commitment to donate it by the end of Q1, so we are just in time to meet that deadline.

On Monday, March 13, 2017, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Call for agenda

alexis richardson