Date

Re: Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Mark Coleman <mark@...>

Morning and my apologies for joining the call late.

I've sent over another meeting request for 08:30am next Thursday so we can see how this is progressing.

Also, as Chris mentioned above, having this out in the open would be of great benefit: https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage

Mark

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:00 AM Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
imho it makes sense, would love to see the storage wg start working here in the open: https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+benh

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Alex Chircop via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

We are making some updates to the doc based on some of the feedback.

I do agree, we need to show how cloud native is different in terms of how you deploy and rebuild a POD, but I also believe that users are interested in how to manage the persistence that is required by the POD in terms of the databases, object stores, message queues and  instrumentation/logs that provide the services that POD requires for persistence.   The classes of storage that are used to build these services in terms of accessibility, performance, scalability, qos, portability are important, policy/scheduler based decisions such as security, encryption and placement are key, and for some there may still be dependencies on replication, snapshots etc …    This is why we wanted to flesh out some of the storage primitives that would be considered.

Question – would this discussion and the content that we are working on be a suitable topic for the newly defined storage working group ?

Thanks,

Alex

From: Yaron Haviv <yaronh@...>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017 at 06:48
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, "Kitson, Clinton" <Clinton.Kitson@...>, "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

Subject: RE: [cncf-toc] Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Alex,

I agree with Clinton’s point that we want to focus on what makes Cloud-Native different, not sure covering all the legacy Storage protocols serves that purpose

There are too many users today that try to fit VM concepts into Cloud-Native and take us out of focus

The key point is allowing continuous development and ops, elasticity, distribution, ..

Looking at the 12 factors, notions of Stateless & immutable tasks, Service bindings (to data), Atomicity are enabling that

It’s a different craft than today’s storage approached as I highlighted in my blog post, e.g. you don’t snapshot/backup a POD, you build it from a Git tag

You use message queues to enable elastic scaling and fault-tolerance, you store data using atomic operations (to Obj/NoSQL) vs trust file-systems to flush data out and risk inconsistent states. For the guys who would argue they want to snapshot stateful services like Mongo/Cassandra/Object, a short reminder is those are un-coordinated scaled-out instances, and in many cases versioning and re-builds are built into it

Yaron

发件人: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> 代表 Gianluca Arbezzano via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
答复: Gianluca Arbezzano <gianarb92@...>
日期: 201733 星期五 上午12:46
: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
抄送: Miek Gieben <miek@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>, Alan Conley <aconley@...>
: Re: [cncf-toc] [RESULT] CoreDNS Project Accepted (inception)

well done!!

congrats!

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> Hey everyone, I'm happy to announce that CoreDNS (https://coredns.io/) has
> been accepted as a CNCF inception level project:
> https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/9
>
> binding +1 TOC votes (6/9):
> - Jon Boulle:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000579.html
> - Alexis Richardson:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000582.html
> - Brian Grant:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000622.html
> - Ben Hindman:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000623.html
> - Ken Owens:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000580.html
> - Camille Fournier:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000661.html
>
> non-binding +1 community votes:
> - J Ram: https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000581.html
>
> Thanks again to everyone who voted and lets welcome CoreDNS to the CNCF
> family, we'll be working with them over the next few weeks to give them a
> new home!
>
> If you happen to be at CNCon/KubeCon EU, the CoreDNS team will be hosting a
> salon: https://cloudnativeeu2017.sched.com/overview/type/Salon
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> Hey everyone, I'm happy to announce that CoreDNS (https://coredns.io/) has
> been accepted as a CNCF inception level project:
> https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/9
>
> binding +1 TOC votes (6/9):
> - Jon Boulle:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000579.html
> - Alexis Richardson:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000582.html
> - Brian Grant:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000622.html
> - Ben Hindman:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000623.html
> - Ken Owens:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000580.html
> - Camille Fournier:
> https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000661.html
>
> non-binding +1 community votes:
> - J Ram: https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2017-February/000581.html
>
> Thanks again to everyone who voted and lets welcome CoreDNS to the CNCF
> family, we'll be working with them over the next few weeks to give them a
> new home!
>
> If you happen to be at CNCon/KubeCon EU, the CoreDNS team will be hosting a
> salon: https://cloudnativeeu2017.sched.com/overview/type/Salon
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

Re: [RESULT] CoreDNS Project Accepted (inception)

alexis richardson

<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

Zuul v3 and Kubernetes testing sig

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

I wanted to explicitly call out the action item that Brian Grant suggested that Clint Byrum engage with the Kubernetes Testing SIG and get their impressions on Zuul v3. Here is their contact info:

Clint, if you're able to schedule a presentation and/or demo with them, I'd appreciate if you could reply to this message and let us know when it will be so that those of us following the space can listen in. Thanks.
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: Documentation recap

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

We can also host a documentation hackathon at various meet-ups. Cost is typically pizza and soda.

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

[...]

Clint Kitson

Technical Director

{code} by Dell EMC

---

mobile: "+1 424 645 4116"

team: codeDellEMC.com

[...]

[RESULT] gRPC Project Accepted (incubation)

Chris Aniszczyk

Hey everyone, I'm happy to announce that gRPC (https://grpc.io) has been accepted as a CNCF incubation level project: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/23

binding +1 TOC votes (8/9):

non-binding +1 community votes:

Thanks again to everyone who voted and we'll be working with the gRPC community over the next few weeks to welcome them to the CNCF family!