Date

Re: Call for agenda

alexis richardson

done! (thanks Chris A)

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@huawei.com> wrote:
Hi Alexis

Please add (to the CI section of slide 8):

· Proposal - A CI Workflow Platform for the CNCF
https://goo.gl/50UoRt

(as per the email that you kindly forwarded yesterday)

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@lists.cncf.io> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via
cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 06:45
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Call for agenda

All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Call for agenda

Quinton Hoole

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 06:45
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>

All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

DRAFT TOC slides for today

alexis richardson

Re: Call for agenda

alexis richardson

noted, added

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Chris McClimans <hh@ii.coop> wrote:
It would be great to gain some momentum by mentioning this thread on
the TOC call.

Soliciting CI requirements via Project GitHub Issues (and mailing list)

https://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-ci-public/2017-March/000027.html

hh@ii.coop

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Call for agenda

Hippie Hacker

<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

[cncf-ci-public] Proposal - A CI Workflow Platform for the CNCF

Chris Aniszczyk

This may be relevant to the wider TOC. If you're interested in CI, please get involved.

From: Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 3/14/17 7:11 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Solomon Hykes <solomon.hykes@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Call for agenda

Looking forward to the containerd proposal!

Alexis, I would also like to have the rkt maintainers do a short presentation on this call to propose donating the project into CNCF as well.

As container execution engines, rkt and containerd are similar projects, but follow very different architectural/design choices. At the same time, they strive for broader compatibility with each other and the ecosystem by implementing and working with standards like those developed in OCI or integrating with Kubernetes.

I think this is an excellent opportunity for us to show that we will foster and encourage projects within CNCF that overlap or compete but are critical to the core of cloud-native systems.

cheers,
Jonathan

On 14 March 2017 at 07:08, Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello, I would like to invite the containerd maintainers to discuss a formal proposal to donate containerd into CNCF. When we discussed it in person there seemed in Tahoe there seemed to be strong interest, and we're at a point where we are ready to find a new home for the project. We also made a commitment to donate it by the end of Q1, so we are just in time to meet that deadline.

On Monday, March 13, 2017, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Call for agenda

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

Agreed!

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

[...]

Great, thanks!

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 09:25 Gianluca Arbezzano, <gianarb92@...> wrote:
Hello

Thanks a great idea! I am following both communities and CFNC can be a very good home for containerd.

Solomon

Thanks very much!  We can get this onto TOC agenda for tomorrow.

All,

Heron is also presenting.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 06:08 Solomon Hykes, <solomon.hykes@...> wrote:
Hello, I would like to invite the containerd maintainers to discuss a formal proposal to donate containerd into CNCF. When we discussed it in person there seemed in Tahoe there seemed to be strong interest, and we're at a point where we are ready to find a new home for the project. We also made a commitment to donate it by the end of Q1, so we are just in time to meet that deadline.

On Monday, March 13, 2017, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

Re: Call for agenda

[...]

Solomon Hykes

Hello, I would like to invite the containerd maintainers to discuss a formal proposal to donate containerd into CNCF. When we discussed it in person there seemed in Tahoe there seemed to be strong interest, and we're at a point where we are ready to find a new home for the project. We also made a commitment to donate it by the end of Q1, so we are just in time to meet that deadline.

On Monday, March 13, 2017, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Call for agenda

alexis richardson

All,

Please send any agenda requests for this week's TOC.

Re: Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Mark Coleman <mark@...>

Morning and my apologies for joining the call late.

I've sent over another meeting request for 08:30am next Thursday so we can see how this is progressing.

Also, as Chris mentioned above, having this out in the open would be of great benefit: https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage

Mark

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:00 AM Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
imho it makes sense, would love to see the storage wg start working here in the open: https://github.com/cncf/wg-storage

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+benh

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Alex Chircop via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

We are making some updates to the doc based on some of the feedback.

I do agree, we need to show how cloud native is different in terms of how you deploy and rebuild a POD, but I also believe that users are interested in how to manage the persistence that is required by the POD in terms of the databases, object stores, message queues and  instrumentation/logs that provide the services that POD requires for persistence.   The classes of storage that are used to build these services in terms of accessibility, performance, scalability, qos, portability are important, policy/scheduler based decisions such as security, encryption and placement are key, and for some there may still be dependencies on replication, snapshots etc …    This is why we wanted to flesh out some of the storage primitives that would be considered.

Question – would this discussion and the content that we are working on be a suitable topic for the newly defined storage working group ?

Thanks,

Alex

From: Yaron Haviv <yaronh@...>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017 at 06:48
To: Alex Chircop <alex.chircop@...>, "Kitson, Clinton" <Clinton.Kitson@...>, "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

Subject: RE: [cncf-toc] Storage Patterns for container native - community content

Alex,

I agree with Clinton’s point that we want to focus on what makes Cloud-Native different, not sure covering all the legacy Storage protocols serves that purpose

There are too many users today that try to fit VM concepts into Cloud-Native and take us out of focus

The key point is allowing continuous development and ops, elasticity, distribution, ..

Looking at the 12 factors, notions of Stateless & immutable tasks, Service bindings (to data), Atomicity are enabling that

It’s a different craft than today’s storage approached as I highlighted in my blog post, e.g. you don’t snapshot/backup a POD, you build it from a Git tag

You use message queues to enable elastic scaling and fault-tolerance, you store data using atomic operations (to Obj/NoSQL) vs trust file-systems to flush data out and risk inconsistent states. For the guys who would argue they want to snapshot stateful services like Mongo/Cassandra/Object, a short reminder is those are un-coordinated scaled-out instances, and in many cases versioning and re-builds are built into it

Yaron