Date   

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson
 

We have six votes!  Keen to see if we can make it nine ;-)



On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
YES

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc


Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Brian Grant
 

YES

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Elissa Murphy <elissam@...>
 

Yes.




From: cncf-toc-bounces@... <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of John Lawler via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:35 AM
To: Alexis Richardson; cncf-toc@...
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] VOTE: Prometheus
 
YES

_____________________________
From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:14 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] VOTE: Prometheus
To: <cncf-toc@...>


TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis




Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>
 

YES

 

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Cisco Intercloud Services
kenowens@...
Phone: +1 408 424 0872
Mobile: +1 314 591 5708


Cisco.com

   

 

Think before you print. Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

For corporate legal information go to:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

 

 

From: cncf-toc-bounces@... [mailto:cncf-toc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:15 AM
To: cncf-toc@...
Subject: [cncf-toc] VOTE: Prometheus

 

TOC voters,

 

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

 

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

 

alexis

 


Re: VOTE: Prometheus

John Lawler <jlawler@...>
 

YES

_____________________________

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:14 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] VOTE: Prometheus
To: <cncf-toc@...>


TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis




Re: VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson
 

YES


On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...> wrote:
YES

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: CNI discussion - actions

Stefan Junker <stefan.junker@...>
 

Brian,

Thanks for your suggestion which has been put into action already!
The CNI project is now the lonesome member of the "containernetworking"
organization on Github [1].

We (the CNI maintainers) are still very interested in working more
closely with the CNCF and are happy to receive further technical and
organizational feedback.

Best Regards
Stefan

[1]: https://github.com/containernetworking/cni

On 04/27/2016 08:35 PM, Brian Grant wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Stefan Junker via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io <mailto:cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>> wrote:

Hi,

I’m one of the maintainers of CNI. I was on the CNCF call yesterday
during which understood only TOC members should state their opinion, so
I decided to just listen and write down my thoughts afterwards.

Although CNI is a small project it has been around for a while, and
since I joined, the goal has transitioned away from the initial
statement which was still captured in the README. Shortly after the call
I submitted a small but significant change [1] which I hope will clarify
the position of the project.

We, the maintainers, don’t want to make CNI a blessed standard. Instead,
we hold great value in the specification that has already allowed many
projects to use the flexible plugin system for developing and
interconnecting simple to complex container networking solutions.

Our hope is that the CNCF provides a stable, vendor-neutral brand and
home to foster these values, so that even more developers feel
comfortable to help improve the quality of existing code and upstream
their plugin code.


As a next step, for now, if you'd like to create a more neutral brand, I
recommend moving the project to its own github org. Practically
speaking, that would make the project easier to manage, also.




Thanks for your attention! I will also be happy to answer any questions
that the TOC has about the project.

Stefan Junker

[1]: https://github.com/appc/cni/pull/186


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io <mailto:cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io>
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc


Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Chris Aniszczyk
 

+1 (non binding)

Here's a link to the initial proposal:
http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-proposals/2016-April/000002.html

Prometheus Proposal
  • name of project: Prometheus
  • description
    • Prometheus is an open source time series/metrics monitoring system. It features ingestion of samples via an open specification, service discovery, a powerful processing language for calculation and alerting, an alertmanager for alerting deduplication, notification dispatching and silencing, and a myriad of integrations including Kubernetes (which also supports Prometheus natively). Prometheus is designed to run in an isolated fashion with no hard network dependencies, so that it can be relied upon even in worst-case emergencies likely to happen in a complex cloud environment.
  • sponsor / advisor from TOC: Alexis Richardson
  • unique identifier: prometheus
  • license: Apache License v2.0
    • Our documentation is also Apache 2.0
  • source control repositories: https://github.com/prometheus (everything in the org). We also have https://github.com/prometheus-junkyard for obsolete code and https://github.com/promcon for the Prometheus conference (PromCon) website
  • issue tracker: GitHub
  • initial committers:
    • Core: brian-brazil, beorn7, fabxc, juliusv. All have made sustained significant contributions for 1-3 years across multiple parts of the project.
    • matttproud was an active core contributor in the first 1.5 years of the project and is now an alumnus.
    • Additionally there are developers who are lead maintainers for a limited number of special-purpose repositories: grobie for client_ruby, consul_exporter, and procfs; superq for mysqld_exporter; stuartnelson3 for promdash; sdurrheimer for promu and golang_builder (both concerned with building Prometheus components).
    • Github organisation and permissions need cleanup.
  • infrastructure requirements (CI / CNCF Cluster)
    • A partial list follows - project team is not 100% sure what is best / possible.
    • Website hosting for prometheus.io.  Could move this off GitHub. Would be handy for SSL (currently using free Cloudflare account for that).
    • CI - currently using free online services
    • Infrastructure to allow integration testing of various components would be good.
      • Other CNCF projects could test on their own infra, or Prometheus could test against CNCF projects using some shared infra (eg CNCF Cluster?).
      • Access to 10-20 largeish machines for load-testing and large-scale tests would be useful. (Thinking more ambitiously: having the node exporter installed on every node in the Cluster would enable gathering of overall stats for utilisation).
      • Some place to store sample data sets for benchmarking etc. We currently have one 200MB dataset and no good place to store it


  • external dependencies
    • We strongly believe resilience and isolation is essential for a critical monitoring system, so we have no hard dependencies for any component beyond local disk and network access. We also believe in ease of use, openness, clear boundaries and being platform agnostic so will not accept any dependencies (CNCF supported or otherwise) that’d require setup of additional systems or use of non-standard software in arbitrary non-cloud or cloud environments. For example for service discovery we currently offer Kubernetes, AWS, Azure (pending), Consul, Marathon, DNS, and two Zookeeper integrations, but you’re not required to use any of these.
    • In practice this means for an end user that the only software or systems dependency they are required to encounter is our standardisation on YAML for configuration.
    • We recommend Grafana for visualisation for new users, Apache 2.0 license, requires a SQL database (sqlite by default, postgres and mysql supported). PromDash (our own deprecated equivalent) has similar dependencies. There are other dashboarding options with no such dependencies (console templates or build your own on our APIs).
    • Building binaries/libraries locally requires only standard tools for that language (e.g. Python requires distutils, Java/JVM requires Maven, Go requires Git and make, Ruby requires bundler). The exceptions are protoc for changing the protobufs (happens extremely rarely), govendor for updating go vendoring (happens often, a clear winner has yet to emerge in this space).
    • prometheus, core binary - Go with some JS
      • Includes transitive Go dependencies
      • govendor used for vendoring (release/dependency changes)
      • github.com/jteeuwen/go-bindata (asset updates): CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0) Public Domain Dedication
      • golang.org/x/net/context: BSD 3-clause
      • gopkg.in/fsnotify.v1: BSD 3-clause
      • gopkg.in/yaml.v2/: LGPLv3 and MIT
      • github.com/vaughan0/go-ini: MIT
      • github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go: Apache 2.0
      • github.com/syndtr/goleveldb: BSD 2-clause
      • github.com/samuel/go-zookeeper: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/miekg/dns: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/matttproud/golang_protobuf_extensions: Apache 2.0
      • github.com/julienschmidt/httprouter: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/influxdb/influxdb: MIT
      • github.com/hashicorp/consul: Mozilla Public License 2.0
      • github.com/golang/: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/beorn7/perks: MIT
      • github.com/asaskevich/govalidator: MIT
      • github.com/Sirupsen/logrus: MIT
      • bitbucket.org/ww/goautoneg: BSD 3-clause - old dep still in use by some repos, should be removed from vendoring
      • bootstrap: MIT
      • bootstrap-datetimepicker: Apache 2.0
      • bootstrap3-typeahead: Apache 2.0
      • rickshaw: MIT
      • jquery: MIT
    • prometheus_cli, deprecated CLI tool, Go
      • No dependencies
    • alertmanager, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • github.com/cenkalti/backoff: MIT
      • github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3: MIT - cgo, so may have build challenges
      • angular: MIT
      • Kube CSS: MIT
      • Moment CSS: MIT
    • pushgateway, batch job interface, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • github.com/elazarl/go-bindata-assetfs: BSD 2-clause
    • client_golang, Go client
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
      • Note that Go instrumentation will pull in protobuf and beorn7/perks
    • common, internal library, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • procfs, internal library, Go
      • No dependencies
    • log, internal library, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • client_model, library for client libraries, Go, Python, Ruby, Java (only used by client_golang?)
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus, client_golang, client_ruby
      • protoc: BSD 3-clause
    • migrate, migration tools, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • promu, new build infrastructure, WIP
      • TODO
    • golang-builder, new build infrastructure, WIP
      • TODO
    • utils, build infrastructure, make/bash
      • No dependencies
    • busybox, build infrastructure for producing Docker images, make/bash
      • No dependencies
    • distro-pkgs, packaging experiment, bash  - can we delete this?
      • fpm: MIT
    • nagios_plugins, alerts prometheus -> nagios, bash
      • No dependencies
    • blackbox_exporter: Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
    • node_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/soundcloud/go-runit: MIT
      • github.com/kolo/xmlrpc: MIT
      • github.com/godbus/dbus: BSD 2-clause
      • github.com/coreos/go-systemd: Apache 2.0
      • Depends on FreeBSD/OpenBSD specific headers+libraries on those platforms. Cross-building with all modules is difficult due to this.
    • host_exporter
      • Just a README pointing to node_exporter
    • haproxy_exporter, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus
    • mysqld_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • gopkg.in/DATA-DOG/go-sqlmock.v1: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/go-sql-driver/mysql: Mozilla Public License Version 2.0
    • consul_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • github.com/hashicorp/consul: Mozilla Public License Version 2.0
    • statsd_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/howeyc/fsnotify: BSD 3-clause
      • github.com/stretchr/testify: MIT
      • github.com/davecgh/go-spew/: ISC
      • github.com/pmezard/go-difflib: BSD 3-clause
    • influxdb_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus
      • golang.org/x/sys: BSD 3-clause
      • (influxdb vs influxdata due to github organization rename)
    • graphite_exporter, Go
      • No dependencies relative to prometheus and statsd_exporter
    • collectd_exporter, Go
      • Dependencies relative to prometheus and statsd_exporter
      • collectd.org/{api, cdtime, format, network}: ISC
    • client_java, Java
      • maven (build/release): Apache 2.0
      • jetty (testing/optional): Dual Apache 2.0/Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • log4j (optional): Apache 2.0
      • logback (optional): Dual LGPL 2.1/Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • dropwizard/codahale metrics (optional, benchmarks): Apache 2.0
      • junit (testing): Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • mockito (testing): MIT
      • mockserver-netty (testing): Apache 2.0
      • jmh (benchmarks): GPLv2
    • jmx_exporter, Java
      • Deps relative to client_java
      • jetty: Dual Apache 2/Eclipse Public License 1.0
      • snakeyaml: Apache 2.0
      • jdeb (release): Apache 2.0
    • cloudwatch_exporter, Java
      • Deps relative to client_java
      • snakeyaml: Apache 2.0
      • AWS SDK: Apache 2.0
    • client_python, Python
      • twisted (optional): MIT
    • snmp_exporter, Python
    • client_ruby
      • various Ruby gem dependencies
    • promdash, deprecated dashboard, Ruby/JS
      • Requires sqlite or mysql or postgres database
      • various Ruby gem dependencies
    • docs, website source, Markdown/Ruby/JS
      • Includes logos of companies using Prometheus, with permission
      • various Ruby gem dependencies
    • prometheus.github.io:
      • Website deployment


  • Statement on alignment with CNCF mission
    • Prometheus was created to monitor microservices-oriented, containerized dynamic environments. The Prometheus community is looking forward to putting the project on a more formal footing and fostering growth of its ecosystem.
  • Communication channels
    • #prometheus on freenode
    • prometheus-developers google group, primary mailing list discussion
    • prometheus-team google group, internal non-technical discussion (rarely used)
    • /r/prometheusmonitoring subreddit, not quite official. We post all articles we know about here, and there’s the odd user question
    • There’s a ‘prometheus’ tag on StackOverflow
    • prometheus-users Google group - held by Brian for future use
  • Website
    • prometheus.io, hosted on GitHub with CloudFlare in front
      • We wish to keep this served at this location
    • promcon.io, for the conference. Also on GitHub.
  • Release methodology and mechanics
    • For Prometheus itself this is currently being defined, releases every few months with RC process.
    • For all other components, releases performed on demand. For a handful of repos with non-trivial levels of contributions (e.g. node exporter), we’ll usually ask other devs if there’s anything they want to get in.
    • Website is automatically pushed.
  • Social media accounts
    • @PrometheusIO Twitter account, password shared via LastPass
    • @PromConIO Twitter account, password shared via LastPass (still unused)
    • There’s a Prometheus LinkedIn project with the core developers.
  • Community size and any existing sponsorship
  • What Prometheus is looking for in a Foundation
    • Key Goals
      • Driving adoption and investment in it - being “blessed” as neutral and not a one-company project - “a clear signal that the project is truly independent”.
      • Quality and brand - The companies involved into the CNCF are simply a good match and I'm sure the peer projects will be as well. Prometheus is a large ecosystem. For new users who are not monitoring experts it’s not always easy to evaluate whether it's what they need. Being part of the CNCF gives (especially new) users a good signal that Prometheus has its place in modern infrastructure stacks.
    • Marketing
      • Active “marketing” by the foundation for its projects.
      • Sponsorship of events or hosting could also be nice, although that can also be provided by various companies.
    • Core Project Governance
      • Prometheus is not a single-company project.
      • The direction of the project should still be in the hands of the original developers rather than being steered by a foundation.
      • Help to establish and enforce clear rules for project governance (who can decide what, team membership, etc.). Not a priority initially, but will become more important later on.
      • We’d hope to be with a foundation for a long period, however if the worst happened that we could split out from the foundation.
    • Help & TOC Oversight
      • Getting more people involved on a deeper technical level beyond the current community input. Particularly for new users, lots of them are used to different paradigms and end up trying fit a square peg into a round hole or are lacking basic infrastructure and want to add a bandaid in Prometheus for that. Being able to have insight that helps separate those ideas from changes that are worthwhile would be beneficial.
      • Where the core developers cannot agree among themselves, we’d actually appreciate a TOC giving us advice from the perspective of the general industry.
    • Legal
      • Assistance in any legal things, such as trademark registration
      • At some point, once enough trust is established, ownership/stewardship of most/all of the project's assets (domain, GitHub, etc.).



On Wed, May 4, 2016 8:14 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc cncf-toc@... wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis



Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>
 

YES

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson
 

TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.  

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

alexis


Re: TOC call: this week & next week

Solomon Hykes
 

My appologies I have to skip this call.


On Wednesday, May 4, 2016, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Yes, I'm just waiting for someone to OK sharing a particular URL on the slides.


On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 3:13 PM Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Is there an agenda for today's meeting?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to be on a plane during next week's TOC call.  Please could a TOC member volunteer to chair the call next week?

Thank-you all for the call yesterday.  I wanted to say that I'm really pleased with how we are interacting as a group.  Yes, we have already found some things to disagree about!  But we are still getting to know each other and figuring out assumptions and expectations.  That will take a little time.  For me, what is more important is that we seem to have consensus on the priority of establishing a base of *good open source software projects*.  Perhaps I am stating the obvious there.  Yet we could so easily have picked a different battle to fight first -- something at one remove from focus on the projects. 

To make sure that CNCF attracts such projects, I'd really like us to focus on the question "How can we help?"

Would it be possible to start the ball rolling on this next week?  

We can return to other topics later, those being: discussion of assumptions around interoperability and 'what can be a project', plus working groups and so on.  

alexis









_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Slides for Today's TOC Call: 5/4/16

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
 

Here are the slides/agenda for today's call. 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11jk9t_oRovx0fNoRnGInVeNn3PsaOKIb5K_c704Zwhs/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136  

TOC Call- 5/4/16
8AM PT
Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/ssaul
Optional dial in number: 646-494-8704
No PIN needed

Speak with you all in about 20 minutes.

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

Sent with Mixmax


Re: TOC call: this week & next week

alexis richardson
 

Yes, I'm just waiting for someone to OK sharing a particular URL on the slides.


On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 3:13 PM Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Is there an agenda for today's meeting?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to be on a plane during next week's TOC call.  Please could a TOC member volunteer to chair the call next week?

Thank-you all for the call yesterday.  I wanted to say that I'm really pleased with how we are interacting as a group.  Yes, we have already found some things to disagree about!  But we are still getting to know each other and figuring out assumptions and expectations.  That will take a little time.  For me, what is more important is that we seem to have consensus on the priority of establishing a base of *good open source software projects*.  Perhaps I am stating the obvious there.  Yet we could so easily have picked a different battle to fight first -- something at one remove from focus on the projects. 

To make sure that CNCF attracts such projects, I'd really like us to focus on the question "How can we help?"

Would it be possible to start the ball rolling on this next week?  

We can return to other topics later, those being: discussion of assumptions around interoperability and 'what can be a project', plus working groups and so on.  

alexis









_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: TOC call: this week & next week

Brian Grant
 

Is there an agenda for today's meeting?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to be on a plane during next week's TOC call.  Please could a TOC member volunteer to chair the call next week?

Thank-you all for the call yesterday.  I wanted to say that I'm really pleased with how we are interacting as a group.  Yes, we have already found some things to disagree about!  But we are still getting to know each other and figuring out assumptions and expectations.  That will take a little time.  For me, what is more important is that we seem to have consensus on the priority of establishing a base of *good open source software projects*.  Perhaps I am stating the obvious there.  Yet we could so easily have picked a different battle to fight first -- something at one remove from focus on the projects. 

To make sure that CNCF attracts such projects, I'd really like us to focus on the question "How can we help?"

Would it be possible to start the ball rolling on this next week?  

We can return to other topics later, those being: discussion of assumptions around interoperability and 'what can be a project', plus working groups and so on.  

alexis









_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: an interesting read, about "Cloud Native"

Brian Grant
 

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:57 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Not too long ago Joe Beda wrote an interesting doc about "Cloud Native".  I have his permission to share it, and so I am posting a URL below. 

I bring this to your attention because it may help us think about how to define "cloud native" for prospective projects and end users.   Obviously this is Joe's take on things.  What do others think?


alexis

Our mission is currently defined more natively than Joe's definition of "cloud native":

The mission is described in terms of mechanisms rather than goals: containers, dynamic management, micro-services.

To me, "cloud native" implies turn-key/self-service/automated provisioning, predictable/reproducible deployment, elastic scaling, self-healing, automatic discovery, and automatic monitoring. These properties increase the velocity of application delivery and management scalability (i.e., manage N things as easily as 1).

ssh-ing into an instance to configure it manually in a non-reproducible fashion, manually creating a configuration file listing IP addresses of specific instances, and crashing if a dependency is not reachable are examples that don't quality as "cloud native".

Are containers more "cloud native" than VMs? Unless we want to change our mission/charter, this question doesn't really matter, but containers do facilitate higher-level and more automated management and introspection. VMs are by nature more opaque and responsible for more of the application lifecycle. However, we may consider a number of projects (e.g., Prometheus) that could be used equally well with either containers or VMs.

On DevOps: Joe mentions that developers are incentivized to make their applications production-ready, but one thing that's not made clear enough is that developers are responsible for meeting operational requirements: reliability, availability, scalability, efficiency, liveness and readiness signals, exported metrics, actionable logging, termination/signal handling, self-configuration based on the environment, configuration knobs exposed to operators, compatibility with the production environment, ... Failure to meet these requirements is a bug. Operators are both partners and customers.



Re: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
 

For reference for the TOC list since this was sent to the marketing mailing list. 



Sent with Mixmax


On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 6:12 PM, Diane Mueller-Klingspor dmueller@... wrote:
The panel was not accepted by O'Reilly. I sent an earlier email to the list

Diane

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I'm not sure how my name got on there - I won't be attending the conference.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi Kiersten,

I believe it's a full panel. Diane can confirm if anyone has dropped or if Ben could be a backup. I have the below folks listed for the panel:

Chris Aniscyzk, Linux Foundation, Developer Relations
Vincent Batts, OCI TDC Member (Red Hat)
Patrick Chanzeon, OCI TDC Member (Docker)
Jonathan Bouille, CNCF TOC Member (CoreOS & founder of RKT project)

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

On Apr 27, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Kiersten Gaffney <kiersten@...> wrote:

Hello Sarah,

Please keep myself, Kim and RJ in the loop on Ben's participation at the Open Container Day. 

Have any further emails gone out about this? Please share.

Best,
Kiersten


----
Kiersten Gaffney
Senior Manager, Events @ Mesosphere

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Benjamin Hindman <benh@...> wrote:
I told them I'd be there and happy to join as a panelist. What else if anything are we doing for/at OSCON?


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benjamin Hindman <benh@...>
Date: Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@..., Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>


I'll be there and happy to join as a panelist.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
FYI on Open Container Day. Would anyone from the TOC be able to attend this event and be willing to participate as a panelist?

Diane is looking for someone by Monday so we'll need to move quickly.

Thanks,
Sarah

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diane Mueller-Klingspor via cncf-marketing <cncf-marketing@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Subject: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: cncf-marketing@..., Douglas Nassaur <dn283x@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>


All,

I'm organizing a panel for OSCON's Open Container Day and would like to have 1-2 CNCF TOC reps on the panel along with 1-2 reps from OCI. Chris Anisczyk has offered himself up already. I'd like to have a TOC rep as well. 

Can you all help me reach out to the TOC members to see who from the list below is coming to OSCON and willing to be a panelist? I haven't the emails for most of these folks and I'm not on the TOC's mailing list. 

The event is in Austin May 17th. 

Alexis R has already said, he not planning on coming to OSCON

Here's the list:
  • Jonathan Boulle, founder of the RKT project and team lead at CoreOS

  • Bryan Cantrill, chief technology officer at Joyent;

  • Camille Fournier, ZooKeeper PMC member, committer;

  • Benjamin Hindman, Apache Mesos co-creator, founder and chief architect at Mesosphere;

  • Ken Owens, chief technology officer of cloud services at Cisco; and

  • Alexis Richardson, founder of Weave and chief executive officer at WeaveWorks.




--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


_______________________________________________
cncf-marketing mailing list
cncf-marketing@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-marketing




--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc




--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere



--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc




--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org



Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


Re: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel

Diane Mueller
 

The panel was not accepted by O'Reilly. I sent an earlier email to the list

Diane

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I'm not sure how my name got on there - I won't be attending the conference.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi Kiersten,

I believe it's a full panel. Diane can confirm if anyone has dropped or if Ben could be a backup. I have the below folks listed for the panel:

Chris Aniscyzk, Linux Foundation, Developer Relations
Vincent Batts, OCI TDC Member (Red Hat)
Patrick Chanzeon, OCI TDC Member (Docker)
Jonathan Bouille, CNCF TOC Member (CoreOS & founder of RKT project)

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

On Apr 27, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Kiersten Gaffney <kiersten@...> wrote:

Hello Sarah,

Please keep myself, Kim and RJ in the loop on Ben's participation at the Open Container Day. 

Have any further emails gone out about this? Please share.

Best,
Kiersten


----
Kiersten Gaffney
Senior Manager, Events @ Mesosphere

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Benjamin Hindman <benh@...> wrote:
I told them I'd be there and happy to join as a panelist. What else if anything are we doing for/at OSCON?


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benjamin Hindman <benh@...>
Date: Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@..., Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>


I'll be there and happy to join as a panelist.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
FYI on Open Container Day. Would anyone from the TOC be able to attend this event and be willing to participate as a panelist?

Diane is looking for someone by Monday so we'll need to move quickly.

Thanks,
Sarah

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diane Mueller-Klingspor via cncf-marketing <cncf-marketing@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Subject: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: cncf-marketing@..., Douglas Nassaur <dn283x@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>


All,

I'm organizing a panel for OSCON's Open Container Day and would like to have 1-2 CNCF TOC reps on the panel along with 1-2 reps from OCI. Chris Anisczyk has offered himself up already. I'd like to have a TOC rep as well. 

Can you all help me reach out to the TOC members to see who from the list below is coming to OSCON and willing to be a panelist? I haven't the emails for most of these folks and I'm not on the TOC's mailing list. 

The event is in Austin May 17th. 

Alexis R has already said, he not planning on coming to OSCON

Here's the list:
  • Jonathan Boulle, founder of the RKT project and team lead at CoreOS

  • Bryan Cantrill, chief technology officer at Joyent;

  • Camille Fournier, ZooKeeper PMC member, committer;

  • Benjamin Hindman, Apache Mesos co-creator, founder and chief architect at Mesosphere;

  • Ken Owens, chief technology officer of cloud services at Cisco; and

  • Alexis Richardson, founder of Weave and chief executive officer at WeaveWorks.




--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


_______________________________________________
cncf-marketing mailing list
cncf-marketing@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-marketing




--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc




--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere



--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc




--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


Re: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>
 

I'm not sure how my name got on there - I won't be attending the conference.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi Kiersten,

I believe it's a full panel. Diane can confirm if anyone has dropped or if Ben could be a backup. I have the below folks listed for the panel:

Chris Aniscyzk, Linux Foundation, Developer Relations
Vincent Batts, OCI TDC Member (Red Hat)
Patrick Chanzeon, OCI TDC Member (Docker)
Jonathan Bouille, CNCF TOC Member (CoreOS & founder of RKT project)

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

On Apr 27, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Kiersten Gaffney <kiersten@...> wrote:

Hello Sarah,

Please keep myself, Kim and RJ in the loop on Ben's participation at the Open Container Day. 

Have any further emails gone out about this? Please share.

Best,
Kiersten


----
Kiersten Gaffney
Senior Manager, Events @ Mesosphere

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Benjamin Hindman <benh@...> wrote:
I told them I'd be there and happy to join as a panelist. What else if anything are we doing for/at OSCON?


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benjamin Hindman <benh@...>
Date: Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@..., Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>


I'll be there and happy to join as a panelist.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
FYI on Open Container Day. Would anyone from the TOC be able to attend this event and be willing to participate as a panelist?

Diane is looking for someone by Monday so we'll need to move quickly.

Thanks,
Sarah

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diane Mueller-Klingspor via cncf-marketing <cncf-marketing@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Subject: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: cncf-marketing@..., Douglas Nassaur <dn283x@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>


All,

I'm organizing a panel for OSCON's Open Container Day and would like to have 1-2 CNCF TOC reps on the panel along with 1-2 reps from OCI. Chris Anisczyk has offered himself up already. I'd like to have a TOC rep as well. 

Can you all help me reach out to the TOC members to see who from the list below is coming to OSCON and willing to be a panelist? I haven't the emails for most of these folks and I'm not on the TOC's mailing list. 

The event is in Austin May 17th. 

Alexis R has already said, he not planning on coming to OSCON

Here's the list:
  • Jonathan Boulle, founder of the RKT project and team lead at CoreOS

  • Bryan Cantrill, chief technology officer at Joyent;

  • Camille Fournier, ZooKeeper PMC member, committer;

  • Benjamin Hindman, Apache Mesos co-creator, founder and chief architect at Mesosphere;

  • Ken Owens, chief technology officer of cloud services at Cisco; and

  • Alexis Richardson, founder of Weave and chief executive officer at WeaveWorks.




--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


_______________________________________________
cncf-marketing mailing list
cncf-marketing@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-marketing




--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc




--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere



--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
 

Hi Kiersten,

I believe it's a full panel. Diane can confirm if anyone has dropped or if Ben could be a backup. I have the below folks listed for the panel:

Chris Aniscyzk, Linux Foundation, Developer Relations
Vincent Batts, OCI TDC Member (Red Hat)
Patrick Chanzeon, OCI TDC Member (Docker)
Jonathan Bouille, CNCF TOC Member (CoreOS & founder of RKT project)

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

On Apr 27, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Kiersten Gaffney <kiersten@...> wrote:

Hello Sarah,

Please keep myself, Kim and RJ in the loop on Ben's participation at the Open Container Day. 

Have any further emails gone out about this? Please share.

Best,
Kiersten


----
Kiersten Gaffney
Senior Manager, Events @ Mesosphere
Cell: 415-559-3771

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Benjamin Hindman <benh@...> wrote:
I told them I'd be there and happy to join as a panelist. What else if anything are we doing for/at OSCON?


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Benjamin Hindman <benh@...>
Date: Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@..., Diane Mueller-Klingspor <dmueller@...>


I'll be there and happy to join as a panelist.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
FYI on Open Container Day. Would anyone from the TOC be able to attend this event and be willing to participate as a panelist?

Diane is looking for someone by Monday so we'll need to move quickly.

Thanks,
Sarah

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diane Mueller-Klingspor via cncf-marketing <cncf-marketing@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Subject: [cncf-marketing] OSCON Open Container Day OCI/CNCF Panel
To: cncf-marketing@..., Douglas Nassaur <dn283x@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>


All,

I'm organizing a panel for OSCON's Open Container Day and would like to have 1-2 CNCF TOC reps on the panel along with 1-2 reps from OCI. Chris Anisczyk has offered himself up already. I'd like to have a TOC rep as well. 

Can you all help me reach out to the TOC members to see who from the list below is coming to OSCON and willing to be a panelist? I haven't the emails for most of these folks and I'm not on the TOC's mailing list. 

The event is in Austin May 17th. 

Alexis R has already said, he not planning on coming to OSCON

Here's the list:
  • Jonathan Boulle, founder of the RKT project and team lead at CoreOS

  • Bryan Cantrill, chief technology officer at Joyent;

  • Camille Fournier, ZooKeeper PMC member, committer;

  • Benjamin Hindman, Apache Mesos co-creator, founder and chief architect at Mesosphere;

  • Ken Owens, chief technology officer of cloud services at Cisco; and

  • Alexis Richardson, founder of Weave and chief executive officer at WeaveWorks.




--
Kind Regards,

Diane Mueller
Director, Community Development
Red Hat OpenShift
@openshiftcommons

We have more in Common than you know, learn more at http://commons.openshift.org


_______________________________________________
cncf-marketing mailing list
cncf-marketing@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-marketing




--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc




--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere



--
Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere


Re: CNI discussion - actions

alexis richardson
 

+1


On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:35 Brian Grant via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Stefan Junker via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi,

I’m one of the maintainers of CNI. I was on the CNCF call yesterday
during which understood only TOC members should state their opinion, so
I decided to just listen and write down my thoughts afterwards.

Although CNI is a small project it has been around for a while, and
since I joined, the goal has transitioned away from the initial
statement which was still captured in the README. Shortly after the call
I submitted a small but significant change [1] which I hope will clarify
the position of the project.

We, the maintainers, don’t want to make CNI a blessed standard. Instead,
we hold great value in the specification that has already allowed many
projects to use the flexible plugin system for developing and
interconnecting simple to complex container networking solutions.

Our hope is that the CNCF provides a stable, vendor-neutral brand and
home to foster these values, so that even more developers feel
comfortable to help improve the quality of existing code and upstream
their plugin code.

As a next step, for now, if you'd like to create a more neutral brand, I recommend moving the project to its own github org. Practically speaking, that would make the project easier to manage, also.

 

Thanks for your attention! I will also be happy to answer any questions
that the TOC has about the project.

Stefan Junker

[1]: https://github.com/appc/cni/pull/186


_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc

6201 - 6220 of 6383