Date

Re: VOTE "incubation principle"

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Hello TOC members,

Friendly reminder to vote on the “incubation principle” if you haven't already done so. We have 5 out of the 9 TOC votes.

+1 (non binding)

Best,
Sarah

On Fri, May 6, 2016 11:08 AM, Brian Grant via cncf-toc cncf-toc@... wrote:
YES

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

TOC voters,

Per our call this week, we wish to record support for the "incubation principle" via a vote on a formal statement.

Please indicate your vote on when a project is promoted from Incubation by saying YES or NO. Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement. If this vote is passed then we shall record the principle in appropriate venues such as the CNCF development process (which is still being worked out).

alexis

----
“1. The time when becoming a CNCF Project is irrevocable is when a project is promoted from Incubation

2. Prior to this a project may choose to leave, or be asked to leave.

The TOC might change this rule in the future but for now it has a clear rationale: it enables new projects to have a safety valve. Before the TOC has finalised its modus operandi and how we help CNCF projects, we want projects to join CNCF and help us shape our model. So we are asking projects to join despite this uncertainty. In return we provide a safety valve.”
----

FYI: Stemmed from the April 13th discussion: http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-April/000131.html

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

Re: VOTE "incubation principle"

Brian Grant

[...]

On May 6, 2016 7:05 AM, "Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

[...]

[RESULT] Prometheus accepted as a CNCF project

Chris Aniszczyk

Just recapping the vote for record keeping purposes.

binding TOC votes:
+1 Jonathan Boulle http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000174.html
+1 Bryan Cantrill http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000187.html
+1 Camille Fournier http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000191.html
+1 Brian Grant http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000181.html
+1 Ben Hindman http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000192.html
+1 Solomon Hykes http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000193.html
+1 Elissa Murphy http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000180.html
+1 Ken Owens http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000179.html
+1 Alexis Richardson http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000177.html

non-binding community votes:
+1 Chris Aniszczyk http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000175.html
+1 John Lawler http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000178.html
+1 Chenxi Wang http://lists.cncf.io/pipermail/cncf-toc/2016-May/000185.html

Thank you everyone who voted. We'll work with the Prometheus community to get the project provisioned under the CNCF umbrella over the next weeks.

Re: VOTE "incubation principle"

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

YES

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Cisco Intercloud Services
kenowens@...
Phone: +1 408 424 0872
Mobile: +1 314 591 5708

Cisco.com

Think before you print. Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:

[...]

Benjamin Hindman

+1!

[...]

Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

VOTE "incubation principle"

alexis richardson

[...]

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

alexis richardson

We have unanimity!

On Wed, 4 May 2016 23:44 Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Yes

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016, Benjamin Hindman via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Yes

On May 4, 2016 1:09 PM, "Bryan Cantrill via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

YES.

         - Bryan

On May 4, 2016 8:14 AM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Solomon Hykes

[...]

Camille Fournier

Yes

On May 4, 2016 1:09 PM, "Bryan Cantrill via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

YES.

         - Bryan

On May 4, 2016 8:14 AM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

Re: CloudNativeCon CFP

Brian Grant

Suggested topic:

Stateful cloud-native applications

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Katie Stern via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello CNCF TOC-

A part of the project's overall strategy, CNCF has begun rolling out a series of events to gather the ecosystem in support of the project's mission.

Alexis has asked that I circulate the draft CFP to gather your input on the topics and categories that you'd like to see represented in the conference program at CloudNativeCon in Seattle at the beginning of November. We're also open to additional information that you'd like to see included in the form.

Please review and provide feedback by the end of the week. The goal is to publicly launch on Monday to continue the momentum we've already amassed in support of this event.

Regards,

Katie

--
Katie Stern
Director of Event Services

Re: CloudNativeCon CFP

Julius Volz

Hi,

Are the separate First Name and Last Name fields needed besides the Full Name field? This concept doesn't apply well to some international names:

Cheers,
Julius

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Katie Stern via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael Richmond

The form looks reasonable.

A paragraph of text giving context for Cloud Native Con and a link to the CNCF website/mission statement would help. This paragraph could replace the line “Submit a Proposal to Speak at CloudNativeCon | Seattle 2016” if the page title is updated to make it clear that this page is for submitting speaking proposals for CloudNativeCon.

It is striking that the suggested topic list does not reference any VM-based technologies.

Presumably the CFP Open date will be updated before the CFP goes live.

Regards,
Michael Richmond

michael richmond | cloud technology architect | infoblox | mrichmond@...

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Katie Stern via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 09:46
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] CloudNativeCon CFP

[...]

T: 407-967-1858 (Pacific Timezone)
E: kstern@linuxfoundation.org
W: linuxfoundation.org and events.linuxfoundation.org

Re: VOTE: Prometheus

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

YES.

         - Bryan

On May 4, 2016 8:14 AM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

Re: CloudNativeCon CFP

Sarah Novotny <sarahnovotny@...>

Hi Katie,

Since people may land at the CFP without any context, I'd recommend that we put a paragraph ahead of the bulleted list that explains the CNCF definition of "Cloud Native".

Sarah

[...]

Chenxi Wang

+1

Chenxi

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
TOC voters,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Prometheus as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Prometheus into the CNCF. Prometheus is now an Incubated Project at the CNCF. The TOC will work with the Prometheus community to finalize the project governance model.”

Chenxi Wang, Ph.D.
Chief Strategy Officer, Twistlock
@chenxiwang
+1.650.224.7197

CloudNativeCon CFP

Katie Stern <kstern@...>

[...]

Re: CNI discussion - actions

Brian Grant

Great. Hopefully it will prove helpful.

In general, github is optimized for small, single-purpose repos (to the extent that it's optimized for anything).

If you move your documentation to a repo named containernetworking.github.io, then you'll be able to manage your doc site more easily.

You might also consider creating a separate repo just for issues.

And maybe another if you want to have a wiki.

More generally, I'm not sure if there is a "guide to using github effectively for advanced users / large projects", but such a thing would be useful.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Stefan Junker <stefan.junker@...> wrote:
Brian,

Thanks for your suggestion which has been put into action already!
The CNI project is now the lonesome member of the "containernetworking"
organization on Github [1].

We (the CNI maintainers) are still very interested in working more
closely with the CNCF and are happy to receive further technical and
organizational feedback.

Best Regards
Stefan

[1]: https://github.com/containernetworking/cni