Date

no TOC call this week

alexis richardson

TOC,

There will be no TOC call this week.  Please use the time to prepare for the F2F @DockerCon.  Some topics for the F2F are listed in last week's slides.  If anyone wants to table a new topic, or raise a priority, please speak up on this thread.

alexis

TOC F2F Meeting June 21- Meeting Time Change

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Hello All,

The F2F TOC meeting time has changed. It will now be held from 11AM-1PM PT to avoid conflicting with the DockerCon keynote. I just sent a new calendar invite with the update timeslot. I'll update the location once I confirm with Docker on the space.

If you don't have the invite and are attending the meeting, please drop me a note so I can add you.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

TOC Meeting Agenda

alexis richardson

All,

Please see:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17QjDpilpsBFQZg045KiSujt3cefiqjmeZVrW9D1mJRQ/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Agenda:

Projects Update
Cluster Update
Quick Review: How CNCF adds value to projects
CNCF F2F planning

ttys

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Chris Wright

Can you please add Mrunal Patel <mpatel@redhat.com> to invite details?

-chris (terse + typos = phone)

On Jun 3, 2016 2:56 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:

As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesdy at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: F2F at DockerCon

alexis richardson

Solomon

You are correct. Docker has indeed arranged a room. I'll follow up offline.

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016, 03:48 Doug Davis, <dug@...> wrote:

Solomon, I think you're thinking of the OCI meeting that I was setting up and that Arnaud was finding a room for - so this would be a different one.

Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc ---06/03/2016 10:09:48 PM---Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the

From: Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@...
Date: 06/03/2016 10:09 PM

Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] F2F at DockerCon

Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

    As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Doug Davis <dug@...>

From: Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@...
Date: 06/03/2016 10:09 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
    As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

    Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Solomon Hykes

Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Michael Richmond

I’ll be at DockerCon

michael richmond | cloud technology architect | infoblox | mrichmond@...

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2016 at 01:55
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] F2F at DockerCon

As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: F2F at DockerCon

Brian Grant

I'll be there.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

Re: "try.cncf.io"

Pini Reznik

Of course Brian.
We will just have a first call today.

On vr 3 jun. 2016 at 13:35, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Pini, please keep me in the loop.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Pini Reznik via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
We are available indeed.
Will continue the conversation with Dan and Chris.

Pini

On vr 3 jun. 2016 at 12:11, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016, 19:05 Camille Fournier, <skamille@...> wrote:
I got connected briefly with the folks making this:

which is I think in the general ballpark.

they contacted me off list yesterday to say they are available

i connected them with Dan K

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Jon,

Noted, thanks.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...> wrote:
I'm not totally opposed to the try idea in principle or as an end goal - my lack of obvious enthusiasm was more about a) resources (who's going to do it?)

I think we'd want to commission a 3rd party to do work, much as we talked about for some of the docs.

and b) putting the cart before the horse - as Alexis alluded to I think we have some way to go before we have a clear enough idea of the model applications etc.

Indeed.

On 2 June 2016 at 10:25, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

Lee,

I agree with you on this --- i.e that "try" services help in many ways.  I was a bit surprised by the lack of buy-in during the call.  Having said that, the call was about setting an achievable number of priorities.  If we *can* get cloud native apps & patterns into shape, then it may be more obvious how to "try" them.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Lee Calcote via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
All,

Given the CNCF’s role of promulgating a general understanding of what cloud native is, specifically how the projects governed by the CNCF provide platforms and tooling for cloud native applications, I think the “try” approach to providing easy-to-use, publically-available sandboxes is a true facilitator, couching edification of cloud native in context of the CNCF projects.

The “try” sandboxes could:

  • have walk-thru tutorials that parlay and reference the “model applications” Bryan Cantrill referred to.
  • utilize part of the (idle?) 1000-node cluster for the CNCF community
  • be leveraged as a platform for training courses and developer certification
  • be a source of measuring interest, adoption, demographics

A page could be taken from these successes LinuxContainers.org and TryStack.org (I’ll through in Cisco dCloud as well).

I’m sure of the order of operations / speaking rules on the conference call. Apologies if I chimed-in out of turn today.

Cheers,
Lee

“(c) Promotion of the underlying technologies, and approach to application definition and management, including: events and conferences, marketing (SEM, direct marketing), training courses and developer certification

Pini Reznik

CTO - Container Solutions

Mobile: +31 (0) 6 317 99 811

Address: Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 12, 1017 RC Amsterdam

@pini42  www.container-solutions.com

[...]

Camille Fournier

[...]

F2F at DockerCon

alexis richardson

[...]

I'm not totally opposed to the try idea in principle or as an end goal - my lack of obvious enthusiasm was more about a) resources (who's going to do it?) and b) putting the cart before the horse - as Alexis alluded to I think we have some way to go before we have a clear enough idea of the model applications etc.

[...]

highlights from today's call

alexis richardson

All,

During today's call, there was consensus that Docs & Tests were the high priority items to focus on first, re "how CNCF helps OSS projects".  Some notes on this may be found **below the fold** of slide 7 of the deck.

Two important sub-topics got vocal support from TOC members:

1. That "example apps and patterns" be an explicit deliverable in order to clarify what it means to be cloud native.
2. That the cluster and related infra was an asset we should promote & use more.

alexis

"try.cncf.io"

Lee Calcote

[...]

6141 - 6160 of 6392