Date   

Re: process for CNCF proposals

Dan Kohn <dan@...>
 

Brett Preston, our new project coordinator, would be happy to manage the process.

I'm fine changing from Community to Projects. If you or others can propose some improved text, we can quickly make the changes.



On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 5:07 AM, Alexis Richardson alexis@... wrote:

Dan, Chris,


Who is the best person to work with on clarifying the projects

proposals process on the website? I think that the current website

design makes this info a little hard to find. Should there be a

"Projects" item on the menu ribbon instead of "Community"?


alexis




--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000


Re: cluster

alexis richardson
 

Many thanks Camille.  This is a very interesting topic.  I don't think we can throw the doors open to all projects, but I do think that your email touches on many places where interoperation & cooperation would advance the overall CNCF mission, brand, etc.  

Perhaps it would be helpful to pivot this topic in Ben's direction.  

Ben:

In your view, what is a good set of shared goals for CNCF & ASF?  How do we make sure that Mesos, an ASF project, benefits from CNCF and vice versa?  Are the "cloud native needs" of Mesos the same as for other ASF projects such as: ZK, Kafka, and all the data streaming projects?

alexis




On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

So the ZooKeeper community has expressed some interest in using the CNCF cluster to set up a more sharable testing infrastructure for release verification. Are we open to this sort of thing? It looks like the cluster has a minimum 20 node request volume which is far more than the project would need, and tbh I don't really understand that minimum requirement? Even if we don't necessarily want to support release verification testing for ZK specifically, should we ever want to support it for similar systems such as etcd imposing a minimum usage seems slightly strange?

In conversations with Dan we discussed the concept that one of the most useful things CNCF could provide to teams was support beyond unit/simple integration test infrastructure, into more thorough system testing infrastructure. Anyway, I would say that a huge challenge for these cloud native distributed infrastructure components is having distributed testing environments to validate releases in a public manner, so it would be cool if we could consider supporting that.

Thanks,
C

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc


process for CNCF proposals

alexis richardson
 

Dan, Chris,

Who is the best person to work with on clarifying the projects
proposals process on the website? I think that the current website
design makes this info a little hard to find. Should there be a
"Projects" item on the menu ribbon instead of "Community"?

alexis


cluster

Camille Fournier
 

Hi folks,

So the ZooKeeper community has expressed some interest in using the CNCF cluster to set up a more sharable testing infrastructure for release verification. Are we open to this sort of thing? It looks like the cluster has a minimum 20 node request volume which is far more than the project would need, and tbh I don't really understand that minimum requirement? Even if we don't necessarily want to support release verification testing for ZK specifically, should we ever want to support it for similar systems such as etcd imposing a minimum usage seems slightly strange?

In conversations with Dan we discussed the concept that one of the most useful things CNCF could provide to teams was support beyond unit/simple integration test infrastructure, into more thorough system testing infrastructure. Anyway, I would say that a huge challenge for these cloud native distributed infrastructure components is having distributed testing environments to validate releases in a public manner, so it would be cool if we could consider supporting that.

Thanks,
C


FYI: New UberConf Line for the Meeting

Chris Aniszczyk
 

Just a heads up as there seems to be some confusion here, we have a new dedicated uberconf line for CNCF:

Optional dial in number: 415-579-0198
No PIN needed

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: next week's TOC meeting

Chris Aniszczyk
 

Reminder that the TOC meeting is tomorrow, here's is the formalized agenda:

I know that Alexis/Brian will be on vacation.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Ken will chair next week's TOC call.  I'm on vacation.

Proposed agenda

* New Projects update
* Incubated Projects update
* Readout from Dan & Chris
* Marketecture & Example apps
* Engagement & Mission

alexis
_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


next week's TOC meeting

alexis richardson
 

Hi all,

Ken will chair next week's TOC call. I'm on vacation.

Proposed agenda

* New Projects update
* Incubated Projects update
* Readout from Dan & Chris
* Marketecture & Example apps
* Engagement & Mission

alexis


TOC revised schedule & f2f readout

alexis richardson
 

TL;DR
- no meeting this week
- moving to 2 meetings per month
- precis of f2f below


Hi all,

Thanks very much to those who came to the F2F last week at DockerCon.
The slides are here --
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VJi3mXaYJgDICC7PIMaJnsJgY5LXwO56JZi8u1huOdc/edit#slide=id.g150431822b_1_15

The most important readout from this meeting is that the CNCF is
providing budget to help the TOC achieve our goals around docs, tests
and example apps. This is not the same as the CNCF's marketing
budget. This is great news: budgets mean we can prioritise and
execute. The budget owner is Dan Kohn, ED. We shall be working
closely with Dan over the coming months, plus his team of Chris
Aniszczyk, COO, and other LF staff including Sarah Saul. We shall
spend the coming meetings clarifying these priorities and aligning. I
welcome Dan's help in this.

A second item is that as TOC members we can spend time engaging the
community and helping the CNCF projects. I know that time is
extremely precious to you, and must be used very carefully. Let's do
more here.

To spend time better, one thing we can do is change our meeting
cadence. We can do more via email and other means. We do not need
weekly calls. In the meeting it was proposed that we change our
meeting schedule to the 1st and 3rd week of every month. Please can
we try this -- I know it's not ideal for everyone. There will be
holidays and business travel to contend with.

The meeting schedule is now:
- no meeting this week
- meeting on July 6th
- meeting on July 20th
- etc.

If anyone has significant objections to this schedule, please say so.

I am away on July 6th and 13th, and will contact people to arrange for
someone to chair the meeting in my place.

alexis


Re: TOC F2F Meeting June 21- Meeting Time Change

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
 

Friendly reminder to RSVP to me by today for the TOC F2F by 2PM PT if you haven't already.
 



On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 12:48 PM, Sarah Saul ssaul@... wrote:
Hello All,

If you're attending the F2F next week, please RSVP to me by this Friday at 2PM PT. If you've already reached out to me and received the calendar invite, you're all set.

There is also an open document that Alexis created, so please add your name directly by Friday. 

Thank you,
Sarah



On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 12:24 PM, Sarah Saul ssaul@... wrote:
Hello All,

The F2F TOC meeting time has changed. It will now be held from 11AM-1PM PT to avoid conflicting with the DockerCon keynote. I just sent a new calendar invite with the update timeslot. I'll update the location once I confirm with Docker on the space. 

If you don't have the invite and are attending the meeting, please drop me a note so I can add you.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


Re: TOC F2F Meeting June 21- Meeting Time Change

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
 

Hello All,

If you're attending the F2F next week, please RSVP to me by this Friday at 2PM PT. If you've already reached out to me and received the calendar invite, you're all set.

There is also an open document that Alexis created, so please add your name directly by Friday. 

Thank you,
Sarah



On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 12:24 PM, Sarah Saul ssaul@... wrote:
Hello All,

The F2F TOC meeting time has changed. It will now be held from 11AM-1PM PT to avoid conflicting with the DockerCon keynote. I just sent a new calendar invite with the update timeslot. I'll update the location once I confirm with Docker on the space. 

If you don't have the invite and are attending the meeting, please drop me a note so I can add you.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


Re: no TOC call this week

alexis richardson
 



On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:30 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
TOC,

There will be no TOC call this week.  Please use the time to prepare for the F2F @DockerCon.  Some topics for the F2F are listed in last week's slides. 

The proposed topics for the face to face from last week's slides were:

1. Projects & How we help - review tests & docs, CNCF Cluster Update

2. Deliverables outside of enabling CNCF project success
Model apps as a way to clarify Cloud Native “what it is” & marketecture diagram
Clarify “Incubation” & “Development Guidelines”
What do we want from GB (and new ED) to achieve our goals






 
If anyone wants to table a new topic, or raise a priority, please speak up on this thread.

alexis


no TOC call this week

alexis richardson
 

TOC,

There will be no TOC call this week.  Please use the time to prepare for the F2F @DockerCon.  Some topics for the F2F are listed in last week's slides.  If anyone wants to table a new topic, or raise a priority, please speak up on this thread.

alexis


TOC F2F Meeting June 21- Meeting Time Change

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>
 

Hello All,

The F2F TOC meeting time has changed. It will now be held from 11AM-1PM PT to avoid conflicting with the DockerCon keynote. I just sent a new calendar invite with the update timeslot. I'll update the location once I confirm with Docker on the space. 

If you don't have the invite and are attending the meeting, please drop me a note so I can add you.

Best,
Sarah

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul


TOC Meeting Agenda

alexis richardson
 

All,

Please see:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17QjDpilpsBFQZg045KiSujt3cefiqjmeZVrW9D1mJRQ/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Agenda:

Projects Update
Cluster Update
Quick Review: How CNCF adds value to projects
CNCF F2F planning

ttys

a


Re: F2F at DockerCon

Chris Wright
 

Can you please add Mrunal Patel <mpatel@redhat.com> to invite details?

-chris (terse + typos = phone)

On Jun 3, 2016 2:56 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@lists.cncf.io> wrote:

As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesdy at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.


Re: F2F at DockerCon

alexis richardson
 

Solomon

You are correct. Docker has indeed arranged a room. I'll follow up offline.

a


On Sat, 4 Jun 2016, 03:48 Doug Davis, <dug@...> wrote:

Solomon, I think you're thinking of the OCI meeting that I was setting up and that Arnaud was finding a room for - so this would be a different one.



thanks
-Doug
_______________________________________________________
STSM | IBM Open Source, Cloud Architecture & Technology
(919) 254-6905 | IBM 444-6905 | dug@...
The more I'm around some people, the more I like my dog

Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc ---06/03/2016 10:09:48 PM---Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the

From: Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@...
Date: 06/03/2016 10:09 PM


Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] F2F at DockerCon




Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

    As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

    Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

    _______________________________________________
    cncf-toc mailing list
    cncf-toc@...
    https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc
_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: F2F at DockerCon

Doug Davis <dug@...>
 

Solomon, I think you're thinking of the OCI meeting that I was setting up and that Arnaud was finding a room for - so this would be a different one.

thanks
-Doug
_______________________________________________________
STSM | IBM Open Source, Cloud Architecture & Technology
(919) 254-6905 | IBM 444-6905 | dug@...
The more I'm around some people, the more I like my dog

Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc ---06/03/2016 10:09:48 PM---Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the

From: Solomon Hykes via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@...
Date: 06/03/2016 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] F2F at DockerCon
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...





Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
    As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

    Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

    _______________________________________________
    cncf-toc mailing list
    cncf-toc@...
    https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc
_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: F2F at DockerCon

Solomon Hykes
 

Alexis, I believe the Docker team has already arranged for a room for this. Are we talking about the same meeting? If so are we still going to use the room arrange for by Docker?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc



Re: F2F at DockerCon

Michael Richmond
 

I’ll be at DockerCon

 

 

michael richmond | cloud technology architect | infoblox | mrichmond@...

 

 

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Reply-To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Friday, June 3, 2016 at 01:55
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] F2F at DockerCon

 

As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

 

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.


Re: F2F at DockerCon

Brian Grant
 

I'll be there.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As things stand, some of the TOC will be at DockerCon and will gather f2f on Tuesday at 10am-12pm.  This will be an open meeting.  It will not be a meeting where voting / decisions happen because we probably won't be quorate.

Weaveworks may be able to provide a room for this (and maybe some snacks), so I'd like to get a sense of numbers.  I think we can manage up to about 20.

_______________________________________________
cncf-toc mailing list
cncf-toc@...
https://lists.cncf.io/mailman/listinfo/cncf-toc


6121 - 6140 of 6383