Date

Re: Vote: Updating CNCF Project Proposal Process

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

+1

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016, 17:16 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Just following up on Alexis' desire to get consensus from the TOC to solidify the project proposal process from the last couple of TOC meetings so we can put it on the website.

The first suggestion is to move the project proposal process to GitHub. This will make it easier to find and submit project proposals. It's also working well for CoreDNS who is iterating on their project proposal on GitHub now: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/9/files

Second, Alexis wanted to get consensus on the project proposal process having four stages which I've listed below. Dear TOC, please reply +1 if you support this and we'll update everything on our end:

---

The project proposal process within CNCF has four stages.

Stage 1: Discovery

Project contacts CNCF. Informal conversation about mission of CNCF and how CNCF can help Project. At this stage, the Project should decide if it potentially wishes to be in the CNCF. The representatives of the CNCF should decide if they are comfortable recommending a move to Stage 2.

Stage 2: Introduction

Project makes a 20 minute presentation to the TOC during a scheduled TOC meeting. In the first 10 minutes: present a slide deck should explain why the project exists, who is using it, and where it is going.  Not more than 5 slides.  In the second 10 minutes: Q&A.

At this stage, the TOC has the opportunity to invite a Project to make a formal Proposal.  This invitation occurs when, in public forum, a voting TOC member agrees to act as Project Sponsor and the Project agrees to proceed.

Stage 3: Proposal

Project and Sponsor create a written proposal using the published proposal template on GithUb. At this stage, the TOC may provide feedback and ask questions. The TOC may request a formal presentation of the Proposal during one of its regular meetings.  This stage is completed when, during a TOC meeting, the TOC states that a vote will take place.

Stage 4: Vote

The TOC votes on the Project Proposal on the public TOC mailing list.  A successful vote requires 6 TOC members. Projects that are successful will then proceed to Incubation.

[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

draft TOC slides for tomorrow

alexis richardson

Software Circus: CNCF Community Opportunity

Brett Preston <bpreston@...>

Members of the CNCF technical community,

As the Community Sponsor of Software Circus (Amsterdam) August 31 - September 2, 2016; the CNCF has access to 20 complimentary tickets.

Software Circus is a three day event where software enthusiasts, startups and established companies, devs, ops, IT architects, leaders, strategists and entrepreneurs all come together to learn, be inspired and be entertained.

Given high demand for tickets, we will offer up 2 tickets per company, on a first-come-first-serve basis. Reserve your tickets by emailing events@... by EOD Friday, August 19. Within your request, note if you could use more than 2 tickets, and if there are any tickets remaining after the 19th, we will work to accommodate requests for extra tickets that we are able to fulfill.

Thank you!

Brett

--
Brett Preston
The Linux Foundation

Google Talk: bpreston@...
Skype: bprestoncf

Re: Why you should host your project at CNCF

alexis richardson

Hi everyone

Please do take a look at Dan's doc and comment!

alexis

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:55 PM Dan Kohn via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi, I have proposed language for the website on why projects should host at CNCF. It will be added to https://cncf.io/projects.

I'd appreciate if you could review on Google Docs and add any comments there:

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>

Why you should host your project at CNCF

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14EZghMg8MQmaDTnBZwZTwrBGwvdJtmey1s440rYiVZE/edit?usp=sharing
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>
tel:+1-415-233-1000

Re: RFC: Minio

alexis richardson

I would like to see docs for the design and ux of distributed minio per my q on today's call, please. AB mentioned that these are in the works.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, 17:30 Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The Minio project presented at today's TOC meeting:

See slides 18-22:

If anyone in the TOC and the wider community has questions for the project or want to state support for it being part of CNCF, now is the time!

RFC: Minio

Chris Aniszczyk

The Minio project presented at today's TOC meeting:

See slides 18-22:

If anyone in the TOC and the wider community has questions for the project or want to state support for it being part of CNCF, now is the time!

RFC: Heron

Chris Aniszczyk

The Heron project presented at today's TOC meeting:
https://blog.twitter.com/2016/open-sourcing-twitter-heron

See slides 14-17:

If anyone in the TOC and the wider community has questions for the project or want to state support for it being part of CNCF, now is the time!

RFC: fluentd

Chris Aniszczyk

The fluentd project presented at today's TOC meeting:
http://www.fluentd.org/

See slides 9-13:

If anyone in the TOC and the wider community has questions for the project or want to state support for it being part of CNCF, now is the time!

draft TOC slides for this week

alexis richardson

Hi all

This week we have the privilege of no less than THREE project "intro
presentations". They dominate the agenda, and the full hour will
likely be used.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ZZFn7EfySQuAFBOH_EWGKifzXTWSSqpnFNuJLAXVBmk/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Re: proposed change to our proposals process

alexis richardson

Noted!

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Sarah Novotny <sarahnovotny@...> wrote:
In addition to definitions of "Incubation" status and benefits, it would be good to know what it takes to progress to a full acceptance.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:40 AM Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Doug

Agreed - I shall add this to the agenda for this week, so that we can have a vote soon.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 3:17 AM, Doug Davis <dug@...> wrote:

Alexis,
per the charter [1], in section 9, it says:
All such contributions should meet a set criteria created by the TOC and ratified by the Governing Board.
I would suggest that the TOC work on getting this ratification done fairly soon so that we don't delay in getting new projects on-boarded and so that we have a clear, agreed upon and consistent set of criteria by which new projects will be evaluated.

[1] https://cncf.io/about/charter

Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc ---07/29/2016 01:29:33 AM---Hi all, As we talk to more projects, a consistent proposals process is

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 07/29/2016 01:29 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] proposed change to our proposals process
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

Hi all,

As we talk to more projects, a consistent proposals process is
emerging.  I'd like to describe how this is working now, with a view
to the TOC blessing the model.  After this, let's ask Dan's team to
publish a summary of the process on the CNCF website, plus collateral
changes [ shown in brackets below ].

alexis

Stages are:

1. Discovery.  Project contacts CNCF or is approached by TOC / ED
staff.  Informal conversation about mission of CNCF and how CNCF can
help Project.

At this stage, the Project should decide if it potentially wishes to
be in the CNCF.  The representatives of the CNCF should decide if they
are comfortable recommending a move to stage 2.

[ CNCF website should state benefits of CNCF to Projects ]

2. Introduction.  Project makes a 20 minute presentation to the TOC
during a scheduled TOC meeting.

In the first 10 minutes: present a slide deck should explain why the
project exists, who is using it, and where it is going.  Not more than
5 slides.  In the second 10 minutes: Q&A.

At this stage, the TOC has the opportunity to invite a Project to make
a formal Proposal.  This invitation occurs when, in public forum, a
voting TOC member agrees to act as Project Sponsor and the Project
agrees to proceed.

[ CNCF website should link to example 5-slide deck eg. Prometheus intro ]

3. Proposal.  Project and Sponsor create a written proposal using the
published proposal template.  On completion, this document must be
posted to the CNCF proposals list and TOC list.

At this stage, the TOC may provide feedback and ask questions.  The
TOC may request a formal presentation of the Proposal during one of
its regular meetings.  This stage is completed when, during a TOC
meeting, the TOC states that a vote will take place.

[ CNCF website should link to template plus example proposal doc eg.
Prometheus ]

4. Vote.  The TOC votes on the Project Proposal on the public TOC
mailing list.  A successful vote requires 6 TOC members, out of a
possible 9.  Projects that are successful will then proceed to
Incubation.

[ CNCF website should link to the charter statements that explain
voting.  Also, CNCF website should describe Incubation. ]

Final note: stages 2 and 3 may not happen in the same meeting.

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 07/29/2016 01:29 AM

Doug Davis <dug@...>

From: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 07/29/2016 01:29 AM
[...]

Re: minio

NASSAUR, DOUGLAS C <dn283x@...>

It's too bad we are not getting one in a piece like this.. Perfect example of the value proposition I've proposed we pursue for CNCF in the CNCF Vision Document. Unfortunate that nobody seems to want to discuss it, make some decisions and get actionable.