From: Dan Kohn
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 1:32 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] Cloud Native definition in Chinese
To: cncf-toc@...
Cc: 蔡俊杰

We have a request from some of our Chinese members to improve the quality of the translation of our definition of Cloud Native from what we included in a handout at the LC3 event in Beijing this week. This proposed text is from Jack at Alibaba. Could I please request the Chinese speakers on the list to make any corrections you think appropriate.

Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public, private, and hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices, immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this approach.

云原生技术能帮助公司和机构在公有云、私有云和混合云等新型动态的环境中构建运行可弹性扩展的应用。该路线的典型代表是容器技术、服务网格、微服务架构、不可变基础设施及声明式API设计。

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient, manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably with minimal toil.

这些技术让构建富有韧性、易于管理、便于观察的松耦合系统成为可能。辅以健壮的自动化手段,工程师们就能不费吹灰之力对系统进行高频且可预期的重大变更。

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source, vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to make these innovations accessible for everyone.

云原生计算基金会致力于培育和维护一个厂商中立的开源生态来推广这种范式。我们把最前沿的计算模式民主化,让这些创新为大众所用。
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: Cloud Native definition in Chinese

Kevin Xu

Thanks Dan. I've asked our team at PingCAP for input as well.

Kevin

Thanks Dan

I have asked our team for some input.

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # E2-9

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 16:31
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: 蔡俊杰 <j.cai@...>

Please do so in this Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-QhD9UeOqEBxaEiXrFP89EhG5K-MFJ4vsfNZOg6E9co/edit

--
Kevin S. Xu
General Manager of U.S. Strategy and Operations

Re: Cloud Native definition in Chinese

Quinton Hoole

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 16:31
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: 蔡俊杰 <j.cai@...>

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

[...]

Re: New project proposals

Chris Aniszczyk

The first step is to always file a github issue to request time to present to the TOC, see these examples:

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 6:22 AM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Chris is managing the backlog of these project proposals.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Hi TOC,
I have two projects from Red Hat that are looking for TOC sponsors.

Can some assist me in setting up the TOC call to circulate these ideas?

Thanks,
Erin

Re: New project proposals

alexis richardson

Chris is managing the backlog of these project proposals.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Hi TOC,
I have two projects from Red Hat that are looking for TOC sponsors.

Can some assist me in setting up the TOC call to circulate these ideas?

Thanks,
Erin

New project proposals

Erin Boyd

Hi TOC,
I have two projects from Red Hat that are looking for TOC sponsors.

Can some assist me in setting up the TOC call to circulate these ideas?

Thanks,
Erin

Re: New Spec about : Cloud Meta Language

Chris Aniszczyk

Create an issue here to present your idea to the TOC where we can continue the discussion: https://github.com/cncf/toc

We can then schedule you if there's enough interest. Do you have already have a spec/project in mind or are you still in the idea stage?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Charles Moulliard <cmoullia@...> wrote:
Hi

I try to figure out what I should do and what should be the path to follow in order to propose a new spec around "Cloud Meta Language" ?

The main objective of this spec is to propose a way to express using a META language = YAML. JSON, FluentAPI, information that the Cloud platform (pivotal, k8s, openshift, ) will use to perform different things such as by example

- compilation : tool, version, command to be used to build native code
- build : tool or docker image , version, command to be used to generate docker image
- deployment : image, language, build or out folder containing code, ....

E.g. Microservice definition

service: "order", {
    compilation: {
       tool: maven,
       version: 3.5
       command: "mvn test package",
       repo: // Nexus Server
    },
    build: ,
    deployment: {
        java-openjdk-1.8: {
            build: "./app",
            cmd: java -jar ...
            cpu: 2
            memory: 128,
            ports: [{ port: 8080 }],
        },
       Persistence: {
          Mount: /path/to/folder
       }
    },
    replicas: 1,
});

Best regards

CHARLES MOULLIARD

SOFTWARE ENGINEER MANAGER SPRING(BOOT)

Red Hat

cmoulliard@...    M: +32-473-604014

[...]

Re: apologies

Quinton Hoole

I’ll be out in the mountains, so won’t be able to dial in either.

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Camille Fournier <skamille@...>
Date: Monday, June 18, 2018 at 08:35
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] apologies

I'll also be missing at least the second half if not the whole thing

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 11:13 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Hi all, I am travelling tomorrow and will miss the TOC call.

Re: apologies

Camille Fournier

I'll also be missing at least the second half if not the whole thing

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 11:13 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Hi all, I am travelling tomorrow and will miss the TOC call.

Re: apologies

Chris Aniszczyk

No worries Alexis, I'm fine with helping steer the meeting in your absence. Here's the deck:

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Hi all, I am travelling tomorrow and will miss the TOC call.

apologies

alexis richardson

Hi all, I am travelling tomorrow and will miss the TOC call.

Updating the CNCF Reference Architecture

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

In November 2016, the TOC approved this reference architecture: https://docs.google.com/presentation/u/1/d/1uMw2wkK0ubmc3khxqIuxK_rLK_wN89tNCnK7gDmTGR8/

It's best known as the basis for the groupings the Cloud Native Landscape: https://github.com/cncf/landscape#current-version

We've kicked off a mailing list and monthly phone call at 11 AM PT today to discuss revisions.

If you have views about how the architecture should change, please participate on the cncf-reference-architecture@... and the call. (And if you reply to the message, please remove cncf-toc@... from the response.) Any outputs from this effort would then go for a vote to the full TOC.

Thanks.

Topic: CNCF Reference Architecture
Time: Every month on the Second Wednesday, 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/cncfrefarch

Or Telephone:
        US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 646 558 8656  or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 304 550 1079
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/cGgwaajOj
NOTE: Please use *6 to mute/un-mute your phone during the call.
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

Re: [RESULT] Cloud Native Definition: APPROVED

Richard Hartmann

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:

And here is some initial marketing material with the new definition: https://twitter.com/dankohn1/status/1006218781268631552
Stupid nitpick: Even though people (tend to) start reading at the top,
shouldn't a path forward go from to top bottom? As a bonus, something
could be at the top, i.e. the end of the trail; a cloud would come to
mind.

Other than that, it's a nice way to get people into the concept,
showing the actual steps to take.

Richard

Re: [RESULT] Cloud Native Definition: APPROVED

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

And here is some initial marketing material with the new definition: https://twitter.com/dankohn1/status/1006218781268631552

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The TOC has approved the updated cloud native definition with input from the community: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/117

+1 TOC binding votes (6 / 9):

+1 non-binding community votes:

-1 non-binding community votes:

Thanks all for voting, in the coming weeks CNCF will work to update marketing materials and the charter based on this result.

[RESULT] Cloud Native Definition: APPROVED

Chris Aniszczyk

The TOC has approved the updated cloud native definition with input from the community: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/117

+1 TOC binding votes (6 / 9):

+1 non-binding community votes:

-1 non-binding community votes:

Thanks all for voting, in the coming weeks CNCF will work to update marketing materials and the charter based on this result.

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Sijie Guo

+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:48 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The TOC worked with the community (i.e.,
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2004) to craft an updated
cloud native definition:

"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run
scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public,
private, and hybrid clouds. Containers, service meshes, microservices,
immutable infrastructure, and declarative APIs exemplify this
approach.

These techniques enable loosely coupled systems that are resilient,
manageable, and observable. Combined with robust automation, they
allow engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably
with minimal toil.

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation seeks to drive adoption of this
paradigm by fostering and sustaining an ecosystem of open source,
vendor-neutral projects. We democratize state-of-the-art patterns to
make these innovations accessible for everyone."

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full definition
is located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/117

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Benjamin Hindman

+1 binding

[...]

Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Follow Us Twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube

Re: [VOTE] Cloud Native Definition

Sam Lambert <samlambert@...>

+1 binding.

Lots of work went into this. Thank you everyone.

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Paul Adams <paul.adams@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On 21 May 2018 at 15:48, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
"Cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run...

--
Dr. Paul Adams
Open Source Lead

Mobile: +49 152 3884 2958

Zalando SE

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 158855 B
Steuer-Nr. 29/560/00596 * USt-ID-Nr. DE 260543043
Vorstand: Robert Gentz, David Schneider, Rubin Ritter
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Cristina Stenbeck
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin