Date

Re: [VOTE] linkerd inception project review 2018

Sam Lambert <samlambert@...>

+1 non-binding.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Here is my

+1

Vote

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 04:36 Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io, <briangrant=google.com@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
Contributor diversity is not an explicit criterion at the incubation stage:

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM, Dan Kohn <dan@...> wrote:
I think the biggest concern is that Buoyant continues to dominate development given that other companies are generally making small patches rather than becoming major contributors. Chart:

Please note that non-binding votes are encouraged.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:24 PM, Duncan Johnston-Watt <duncan.johnstonwatt@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:
I don't have a binding vote either but I am curious given linkerd's impressive stats why it isn't being promoted?

Best

Duncan

On 17 January 2018 at 20:59, Brandon Dimcheff via Lists.Cncf.Io <brandon=olark.com@....io> wrote:
I don't have a vote, but I'd love to see linkerd remain a CNCF project.

- brandon

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 2:20 PM William Morgan <william@...> wrote:
FWIW that article is not 100% correct. Linkerd ships with a control plane (Namerd). This is how these companies are controlling routing policy across Linkerd instances.

-William

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@lists.cncf.io> wrote:
Different projects make different design tradeoffs.

Also, these 2 projects aren't directly comparable.

This article explains the difference pretty well:

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
CNCF allows for competing projects, see our TOC principles for more information on this:

Istio currently isn't an official CNCF project but has been invited to formalize a project proposal.

For the merits of one project over another, I'd advise you to speak to the respective project communities for that information.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Santosa, Andy <asantosa@...> wrote:
Hi Chris,
Personally, I would like to get clarification of competing component: linkerd vs istio. I learnt for example one company I met in KubeCon converting from linkerd to istio.

Regards,
-Andy

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@linuxfoundation.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] linkerd inception project review 2018

Hey TOC and community, we are requesting a vote to keep linkerd (https://github.com/linkerd/linkerd) as an inception project for another year based on their presentation yesterday. Here are some stats shared yesterday from the linkerd community:

* 60+ contributors; 50+ releases (2--4 week cadence); 3400+ GH stars
* 1.5m+ Docker Hub pulls; 5--10 billion requests a day
* 1400+ Slack members
* 40+ companies using Linkerd in production. Public ones include Monzo, CreditKarma, Salesforce, Expedia, BigCommerce, NCBI, PayPal, Taboola, FOX, and AOL
* Powers the Human Genome Project!

Please vote +1/-1 (remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support).

Also note that every inception project has to be reviewed on an annual basis to decide whether it will continue to be a CNCF project or potentially graduate to another level. We will have another discussion in the near future about moving/graduating linkerd to another level, along with other CNCF projects.

Duncan Johnston-Watt

Founder & Chair, Advisory Board

Phone: +44 777 190 2653 | Skype: duncan_johnstonwatt

Twitter: @duncanjw | LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/duncanjohnstonwatt

Cloudsoft Logo.jpg

Stay up to date with everything Cloudsoft:

Twitter_Logo_White_On_Blue.png YouTube-social-icon_red_48px.png

Re: [VOTE] linkerd inception project review 2018

alexis richardson

Here is my

+1

Vote

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Doug Davis <dug@...>

+1 to keeping it - non-binding

"Dan Kohn" ---01/17/2018 10:58:41 PM---I think the biggest concern is that Buoyant continues to dominate development given that other compa

From: "Dan Kohn" <dan@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 01/17/2018 10:58 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc@...

https://linkerd.devstats.cncf.io/dashboard/db/companies-velocity?orgId=1

+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

    https://blog.envoyproxy.io/service-mesh-data-plane-vs-control-plane-2774e720f7fc

      https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/PRINCIPLES.md#no-kingmakers--one-size-does-not-fit-all

      From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
      Date:
      Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
      To:
      "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
      Subject:
      [cncf-toc] [VOTE] linkerd inception project review 2018

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

Yes, this is simply "let's keep this project going" decision.

It's in two steps because I'd like to queue up multiple projects to be reviewed to graduate/move to the next level in one TOC call. I'd also like linkerd to follow the process we've been experimenting with fluentd (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/69) and coredns (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/66).

That's all.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:14 PM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
"Why are we doing this in 2 steps? This is just a "yes, we want to
keep the project" decision?"

agreed, Chris, what's your thinking here?

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:38 AM
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Re: Project metadata & calendar

Brian Grant

Good idea

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018, 5:59 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Chris, Dan,

To Brian's comment - "I think there's an opportunity for help from TOC contributors with these types of reviews, to pre-review the information provided, ask questions about project health and adoption, whether the projects are getting what they need from CNCF, and whatever else we feel is important."

I'm thinking that if we want Contributors to help then we could inform them of a project's status and upcoming 'events' via the CNCF website.

For example:
- fluentd
- incubation
- graduation review Jan 2018
- last health check [date]
- service desk / status [link]

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 4:30 AM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
The application specifically addressed the graduation criteria, which was helpful.

I posted some links to some stats relating to project health and contributor diversity. The incubation criteria also apply at graduation:

I think there's an opportunity for help from TOC contributors with these types of reviews, to pre-review the information provided, ask questions about project health and adoption, whether the projects are getting what they need from CNCF, and whatever else we feel is important.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
It's on queue to discuss at the next TOC meeting in terms of how we are going to handle the process.

We also have some project proposals in flight that we are tackling.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:49 AM, Eduardo Silva via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

is there any update about when graduation reviews will happen ?

best,

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...> wrote:
thanks Chris for the update.

As usual please let us know if TOC requires any additional info

best

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Hey Eduardo, the current feeling within the TOC was that everyone was slammed with the conference coming up next week to do formal reviews.

We plan to discuss the graduation review process at the TOC F2F next week and make a decision.

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Eduardo Silva via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hello TOC!,

Fluentd team have sent a PR with the required information for the graduation review of the project, would you please take a look at it and share some feedback ?

https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/69

thanks,

--
Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data

Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

--
Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

Project metadata & calendar

alexis richardson

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...g> wrote:
[...]

Re: Graduation review for Fluentd

Brian Grant

[...]

TOC Agenda for Jan 16th 2018

Chris Aniszczyk

First off, happy 2018! Second, here's the deck for tomorrow: https://goo.gl/5wBe3d

We plan to cover the existing project proposals + deciding on calling for a vote for the ones that have received enough due diligence.

We also will have the linkerd project present a brief year in review which is required on an annual basis for all inception level projects. A vote will then be held by the TOC to decide whether linkerd will move up to incubating or continue operating at inception.

See everyone tomorrow!

Re: light-4j project proposal

stevehu@...

Thanks Chris for the quick reply. I have booked 30 minutes next Friday morning at 10 am and will have the github issue ready before then.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:24 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Hey Steve, you can book a time with me to chat here about the project proposal process: calendly.com/caniszczyk

I also recommend filing a GitHub issue about your project with more information: https://github.com/cncf/toc/issues

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:12 PM, <stevehu@...> wrote:
Hi,

I am the author of light-4j which is a fast, lightweight and cloud native microservices framework built on top of Java 8 SE. I am considering to join CNCF and wondering if someone can be a sponsor to help with the process.

Thanks,

Steve

https://github.com/networknt

https://doc.networknt.com