Date

Re: TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

Bassam Tabbara <bassam@...>

Also have a look at some of the open and closed PRs like:

Thanks!
Bassam

On Oct 3, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I don't think we have a DD process yet.  If you want to help with nats i can show you what we have mostly been doing.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 19:26 Lachie Evenson via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I would like to help contribute with project tech due diligence. Before I dig in I wanted to ask if there is an established process that I can apply?

Looking here -- https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

Re: TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

alexis richardson

I don't think we have a DD process yet.  If you want to help with nats i can show you what we have mostly been doing.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 19:26 Lachie Evenson via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I would like to help contribute with project tech due diligence. Before I dig in I wanted to ask if there is an established process that I can apply?

Looking here -- https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

TOC Contributors - Project tech due diligence

Lachlan Evenson

I would like to help contribute with project tech due diligence. Before I dig in I wanted to ask if there is an established process that I can apply?

Looking here -- https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

github.com
toc - Technical Oversight Committee (TOC)

Cheers,

Lachie

Re: Running NATS in K8s

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Regarding cross-cloud, the project is here: https://github.com/cncf/cross-cloud/ and I will make intros as NATS goes forward.

Echoing your previous points, a lot of what the cross-cloud team spends time on is the continuous deployment packaging of projects into a chart, so if NATS moves forward on that work it will dramatically simplify what cross-cloud needs to do.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Bob Wise via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Peter,

Thank you.

I would advocate for building a chart for deployment on Kubernetes in the short run and an operator (much bigger job) over time.
I would advise that your team should consider the chart as first-class maintained artifact as an important step for the core NATS server as well.

My team (Samsung CNCT) have done a lot of work around charts, and happy to offer some advice/assistance.
I can connect you with our charts lead (Matt Farina) who is also one of the Kubernetes SIG Apps leads.

Noting that the pires project referenced below appears to be tested against 1.5.x. That's getting pretty old in Kubernetes releases.
If you are interested in nats-on-kubernetes CI (which I think you should be), I can also offer assistance via one of our
other team members - Aaron Crickenberger.

CNCF also has a growing cross project CI effort that we would recommend you get involved in. Chris - do we have a normal first point of contact for those interested in this?

Offer is open to anyone on the candidate project lists needing some opinionated guidance.

-Bob Wise

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Peter Miron via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As requested on today's call.

Core NATS server on Kubernetes (with custom route generator):
https://github.com/pires/kubernetes-nats-cluster

NATS Streaming with NFS (Helm Chart):

Also, a quick note on NATS Streaming, we do have file-locked based fault tolerance today, as configured in the above example. This relies on you having trusted, replicated storage vs. the NATS server handling redundancy.

If anyone has suggestions for how to more easily configure with some of the more recent container storage specs and possibly replica sets, let us know. Happy to hear ideas. Thanks!
Pete

Re: Running NATS in K8s

Bob Wise

[...]

Running NATS in K8s

Peter Miron <peter.miron@...>

As requested on today's call.

Core NATS server on Kubernetes (with custom route generator):
https://github.com/pires/kubernetes-nats-cluster

NATS Streaming with NFS (Helm Chart):

Also, a quick note on NATS Streaming, we do have file-locked based fault tolerance today, as configured in the above example. This relies on you having trusted, replicated storage vs. the NATS server handling redundancy.

If anyone has suggestions for how to more easily configure with some of the more recent container storage specs and possibly replica sets, let us know. Happy to hear ideas. Thanks!
Pete

Re: [VOTE] Notary/TUF project proposal (incubation)

Mark Peek

+1

Mark

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Monday, October 2, 2017 at 8:41 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Notary/TUF project proposal (incubation)

The Update Framework (TUF) is a specification designed to solve specifically provenance and trust problems as part of a larger distribution framework. Notary is a content signing framework implementing the TUF specification in the Go language. The project provides both a client, and a pair of server applications to host signed metadata and perform limited online signing functions.

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/38

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

Re: Face to face TOC meeting at Cloud Native Con / Kubecon?

Ihor Dvoretskyi

That's the best of my free slots, so +1.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Would 6pm Monday work well for people?

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
I could make the following times work:
  • Wednesday evening
  • Monday evening
  • 2pm Thursday
  • Friday afternoon
I'm going to be involved in the dev summit all day Tuesday and probably in a number of the SIG meetings (and certainly the one I lead), so other times will not work.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:53 AM, Dan Kohn via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The Kubernetes Dev Summit is scheduled for all day Tuesday, 12/5. There's also an evening reception afterward. I think my recommendation is to add a public and private TOC meeting to the SIG track for Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Can you do kube dev summit on Tuesday afternoon?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 12:10 Ihor Dvoretskyi, <ihor.dvoretskyi@...> wrote:
We've been considering an ability to set up a f2f meeting for CNCF Ambassadors in Austin, it might be a good point to extend the number of participants.

Please, note - we're also planning to set up the Kubernetes Developers Summit on Tuesday. It is strongly unlikely to make these events overlapping.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017, 1:51 PM Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all

Please can we organise an open F2F for all CNCF TOC, Contributors, Ambassadors and other interested humans?  This would be useful for:

* 2017 Retrospective
* What do want to achieve in 2018?
* Induction of new members into the Mysteries
* Singing the motivational Song of the Maintainers

For example, we could meet on the morning of Tuesday 5th Dec in Austin.  There is a CNCF GB meeting that afternoon.

Re: [VOTE] Notary/TUF project proposal (incubation)

Gianluca Arbezzano <gianarb92@...>

+1 (non binding)

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Ken Owens via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Oct 2, 2017 10:41 AM, "Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The Update Framework (TUF) is a specification designed to solve specifically provenance and trust problems as part of a larger distribution framework. Notary is a content signing framework implementing the TUF specification in the Go language. The project provides both a client, and a pair of server applications to host signed metadata and perform limited online signing functions.

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/38

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

Gianluca Arbezzano
www.gianarb.it

[...]

Brian Grant

[...]

Sam Lambert <samlambert@...>

+1

[...]

Stephen Watt

+1. I just wanted to add that other interested constituents in attending would be the various participating work group members. A lot of the work group work is still at a formative phase and having some face time goes a long a way to avoiding misinterpreted intentions when it comes time for the intense debates!

On 2017-10-02 10:41 (-0500), Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <c...@...> wrote:
> [...]

We've been considering an ability to set up a f2f meeting for CNCF Ambassadors in Austin, it might be a good point to extend the number of participants.

Please, note - we're also planning to set up the Kubernetes Developers Summit on Tuesday. It is strongly unlikely to make these events overlapping.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017, 1:51 PM Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi all

Please can we organise an open F2F for all CNCF TOC, Contributors, Ambassadors and other interested humans?  This would be useful for:

* 2017 Retrospective
* What do want to achieve in 2018?
* Induction of new members into the Mysteries
* Singing the motivational Song of the Maintainers

For example, we could meet on the morning of Tuesday 5th Dec in Austin.  There is a CNCF GB meeting that afternoon.

Re: FYI: Sam Lambert (GitHub) elected on the TOC

Ken Owens

Awesome news! Welcome Sam. Looking forward to collaborating and driving cloud native with you.

On Oct 2, 2017 3:47 PM, "Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hey TOC and wider CNCF community, just wanted to let you know our election ended for the End User TOC seat today: https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/process/election-schedule.md

Sam Lambert won the election and will be joining us on the TOC officially, representing the end user community: https://www.cncf.io/people/end-user-community/

Sam is a Senior Director of Infrastructure Engineering at GitHub and as you're aware, GitHub has recently started to adopt Kubernetes in a big way: https://githubengineering.com/kubernetes-at-github (they are also users of other CNCF projects too).

Anyways, everyone please welcome Sam to the community!

[...]

Good idea and timing.