Date

Re: [PROPOSED] CNCF TAG Contributor Strategy leadership changes

He/Him/His
Sr. Developer Advocate, AWS Kubernetes (GitOps)
TZ=America/Detroit

Re: [PROPOSED] CNCF TAG Contributor Strategy leadership changes

Justin Cormack

+1 (binding)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 9:07 PM Stephen Augustus <hey@...> wrote:
Hi TOC!

TAG Contributor Strategy would like to propose Dawn Foster as a TAG Chair.

For those that have the privilege of working with Dawn in her many capacities, no introduction is necessary.
But for the sake of the list, a few words...

Dawn leads the open source community strategy efforts within VMware’s Open Source Program Office. She is on the Board of OpenUK, committed to develop and sustain UK leadership in Open Technology. She is on the Governing Board and is a maintainer for the Linux Foundation’s CHAOSS open source metrics project and is also on the TODO Group Steering Committee.

She has more than 20 years of experience in business and technology with expertise in strategic planning, management, community building, community management, open source software, market research, and more. She is passionate about bringing people together through a combination of online communities and real-world events. She has experience building new communities, and managing existing communities with a particular emphasis on developer and open source communities.

Most recently, Dawn was a consultant at The Scale Factory after being Director of Community at Puppet. Prior to Puppet, she was leading the Community Office within Intel’s Open Source Technology Center. In addition to working at Intel, Dawn was an online community consultant, and she has worked at Jive Software, Compiere, and a Midwestern manufacturing company in positions ranging from Unix system administrator to market researcher to community manager to open source strategist.

Upon TOC approval of Dawn's appointment, both Paris and I will be moving to Emeritus TAG Chairs.

From Paris:

Team,

I'd like to resign my Chair hat for the TAG and nominate Dawn Foster in my place. Explanation below but first about Dawn:

<Dawn's bio above>

**Whats Next:**
I submitted the proposal to the Technical Advisory Council (TOC) for the then Special Interest Group that we now call Technical Advisory Groups over [two years ago]. The group has flourished to be a helpful resource to the TOC and CNCF projects through ad hoc services, tooling, and programs. We've grown to include many contributors, a new tech lead role: Carolyn!, a repo of templates AND guidance, a CNCF contributor site to house said guidance!, and a maintainer circle to support the humans behind the code.

And the last point brings me to my 2022 goals: I'd like to focus on Maintainer Circle! Bringing that up not only to a solid state but an industry leading resource for the thousands of maintainers and leaders of CNCF projects. After coordinating the events we have had virtually and in-person, we've gotten feedback that folks not only really like this but want to see more of it. With this focus, it would be best if I step back from Chair and concentrate on this area. There is a lot of power in maintainers coming together to learn, share, and grow; really looking forward to this thriving.

I have the utmost respect and trust in Dawn to co-chair our group; she has stepped up in countless ways with contributions including organizational functions and leadership. Dawn will be an excellent TAG Chair!

From me:

Hey TAG Contributor Strategy!

Upon the TOC's approval of Dawn's appointment as TAG Chair, I will also be resigning my seat.

It has been an absolute pleasure to serve the community in this capacity and with the leadership we have in place and the wonderful TAG Contributor Strategy contributors, I have complete faith that this crew will continue to flourish and support CNCF maintainers on their journey.

To get the administrivia out of the way, here is the pull request to actuate the leadership changes: https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy/pull/150

In 2022, I'll be turning focus to my new roles on the TODO Group and Kubernetes Steering Committee.
...but! I'll also be working with Paris to evolve the Maintainers Circle, so I won't be too far away.

Same address. Same GitHub. A few more Slack channels, but a whole lot of fun ahead. See you on the internets!

--
Stephen Augustus
hey@... | 212.390.0094 | whois.auggie.dev

Re: [PROPOSED] CNCF TAG Contributor Strategy leadership changes

Cornelia Davis

+1 binding

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 11:24 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.nenashev@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding, thanks to Paris and Stephen for initiatives in this TAG

Re: [PROPOSED] CNCF TAG Contributor Strategy leadership changes

Oleg Nenashev

+1 non-binding, thanks to Paris and Stephen for initiatives in this TAG

in-toto Incubation public comment period

Justin Cormack

I am opening in-toto for the public comment period for incubation

Justin

Re: [PROPOSED] CNCF TAG Contributor Strategy leadership changes

Ricardo Rocha

+1 binding

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 08:54:35AM -0800, Alena Prokharchyk via lists.cncf.io wrote:
+1 binding

-alena

I submitted the proposal to the Technical Advisory Council (TOC) for the then Special Interest Group that we now call Technical Advisory Groups over [two years ago] <https://hackmd.io/rs7HMq-1Q9-VBTOZ02Ybcg>. The group has flourished to be a helpful resource to the TOC and CNCF projects through ad hoc services, tooling, and programs. We've grown to include many contributors, a new tech lead role: Carolyn!, a repo of templates AND guidance <https://github.com/cncf/project-template>, a CNCF contributor site <http://contribute.cncf.io/> to house said guidance!, and a maintainer circle <https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy/tree/main/maintainers-circle> to support the humans behind the code.

To get the administrivia out of the way, here is the pull request to actuate the leadership changes: https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy/pull/150 <https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy/pull/150>

In 2022, I'll be turning focus to my new roles on the TODO Group and Kubernetes Steering Committee.
...but! I'll also be working with Paris to evolve the Maintainers Circle, so I won't be too far away.

Same address. Same GitHub. A few more Slack channels, but a whole lot of fun ahead. See you on the internets!

--
Stephen Augustus
hey@auggie.dev <mailto:hey@auggie.dev> | 212.390.0094 | whois.auggie.dev <https://whois.auggie.dev/>

Re: Proposal to register CNCF persistent identifier namespace

Noel MacLochlainn

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 5:37 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The mailing list isn't the best place for this topic, can you open up a github issue here for CNCF staff to investigate:

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Noel MacLochlainn <noel.mcloughlin@...> wrote:
Hello TOC,

I wish to ask the CNCF Technical Oversight Committee to consider registering CNCF as a persistent identifier namespace on the Web.

Web applications dealing with Linked Data often need URLs that are very stable. Registering CNCF as a persistent identifier namespace allows member projects to leverage the service to register their own sub-namespaces, vocalabaries, and glossaries. For example, CNCF projects publish their vocabulary at: https://w3id.org/cncf/<project>, and potentially in machine readable format in future. The following are examples of persistent identifiers namespaces which could be used today.

The use cases and business value is derived from W3C Linked Data initiatives, and makes CNCF data more accessible on the Semantic Web.

Since I am not TOC member I hope someone on the committee might pick up on this proposal and have it discussed at TOC.

kind regards
Noel Mc Loughling
Open Source Engineer and SRE

https://aniszczyk.org

Re: Proposal to register CNCF persistent identifier namespace

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

January 18th TOC meeting cancelled

Amye Scavarda Perrin

We are not meeting tomorrow, but we will see you all for the February 1st meeting!
Thank you!

--
Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [tag-contributor-strategy] [cncf-toc] [PROPOSED] CNCF TAG Contributor Strategy leadership changes

Carolyn Van Slyck

+1 non-binding