From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 15:10
To: Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Sandbox projects and timing requirements

We decided not to put any timelines on anything in the beginning as each project is going to be different at its maturity stage. There are projects that may have decent adoption but low maintainer diversity and so on. The maturity levels are outlined pretty well here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/process/graduation_criteria.adoc

The particular line "since these metrics can vary significantly depending on the type, scope and size of a project, the TOC has final judgement over the level of activity that is adequate to meet these criteria" was put in place to give the TOC some flexibility in decisions making as they are the final arbiter of maturity level decisions.

IMHO I don't think having a minimum time to bake is a bad idea but that is going to be different for each project as some are quicker to mature than others.

You're welcome to propose improvements to the sandbox process and discuss it in a PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/process/sandbox.md

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 4:25 PM Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...> wrote:
Hi,

Why Sandbox projects don't have a minimum time of requirement before to try to move to incubation ? I see that Harbor joined as a Sandbox project on July 31 and just after 3 months moving forward to incubation ?

To be clear, this is not something against Harbor, but I see a potential "gray area" since it would be easier to go with sandbox and then jump into incubation, than do direct to incubation (which is harder).

comments ?

--
Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data

Re: Sandbox projects and timing requirements

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Harbor moving to incubation

Igor Mameshin

+1 non-binding

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 6:27 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
The Harbor community has requested to move to the incubation maturity level and believes it has fulfilled the criteria: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/163

They have also created a presentation on top of the proposal for the community: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1aBQnE96kKatc1_t3E97lJBwiWvL-3GTitojuv-nWMuo/edit?usp=sharing

Document that it is being used successfully in production by at least three independent end users which, in the TOC’s judgement, are of adequate quality and scope: https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/blob/master/ADOPTERS.md

Maintainers of the project are listed in https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/blob/master/OWNERS.md

Maintainers are added and removed from the project as per the policies outlined in the project governance: https://github.com/goharbor/community/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions:

Releases: 7 major releases - https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/releases
Roadmap: https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/wiki/Harbor-Roadmap
Contributors: https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/graphs/contributors
Commit activity: https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/graphs/commit-activity
CNCF DevStats: https://harbor.devstats.cncf.io

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/163

Re: [VOTE] Harbor moving to incubation

Ruben Orduz <ruben@...>

+1 agree to what Justin said.

Re: [VOTE] Harbor moving to incubation

Baldwin, Matt

+1 nb

-matt

From:Chris Aniszczyk
To:CNCF TOC,
Date:2018-11-06 06:27:26

[...]

sonya@...

+1 binding

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 7:16 AM Chris Short via Lists.Cncf.Io <chris=chrisshort.net@...> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Ken Owens <kenchristineowens@...> wrote:
+1 binding

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Sonya

- Sonya Koptyev | Director of Evangelism | m: +1 425 505 0100

[...]

Jimmy Song <jimmysong@...>

+1 non-binding
---------------------------------------
Best Regards.

Jimmy Song(宋净超)

Developer Advocate
Ant Financial
CNCF Ambassador
Co-founder of ServiceMesher community

WeChat: jimmysong

On Nov 6, 2018, at 10:32 PM, alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

+1 binding

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Hindman

+1 binding

[...]

Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Follow Us Twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube

Re: [VOTE] Harbor moving to incubation

Randy Abernethy

+1 nb

[...]

Managing Partner