Date

Re: Moving to written proposals for projects over presentations

Davanum Srinivas

Camille,

If we are looking for prior art to build templates on, the ASF incubator has a template [1], examples of proposals are at [2][3].

I like the sections in there on why the project wants to come to ASF, and the risks too.

Thanks,
Dims

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 12:06 PM Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:
Chris pointed out in chat that groups already are writing up docs for their proposals. However, the problem in my mind is that first we see a slide deck style presentation, then it is followed by a written doc.

I can't speak for Bob, but as someone who heavily adopted Amazon-style paper writing over presentations for much of my internal team, I far prefer reading thoroughly-written docs to watching slide shows. Right now, the details that we get in a lot of the proposals we vote on are not nearly as thorough as what we see in the presentations, and if we tried to replace the presentations with the proposal docs, we would not have much to go on.

A typical design doc that I would review would have information like:
Summary
Project goals (possibly including user scenarios this is aimed at addressing)
Project non-goals
High-level design
Roadmap

There's no one exact way to write one, but if we want to move to a writing-driven review process at least for sandbox projects, we should agree on more questions we want answered as part of the doc and length recommendations (and possibly restrictions). I feel like this doc is going to be a hybrid product/tech design doc, so if there are any product managers who want to chime in with further suggestions I'm all ears.

Re: Moving to written proposals for projects over presentations

Chris Aniszczyk

I agree requiring the writing up front (instead of after the presentation) can be useful, here are some good examples imho:

Falco (sandbox)

Rook (sandbox->incubation)

If we want a specific template happy to hear ideas, we can put it in the TOC repo.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 11:06 AM Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:
[...]

Camille Fournier

[...]

Re: TOC Agenda 10/2/2018

Quinton Hoole

I’ll be boarding a plane at 8AM, so I probably won’t be on the call today.

Technical Vice President

America Research Center

2330 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel: 408-330-4721   Cell: 408-320-8917   Office # C2-27

Email: quinton.hoole@...   ID#Q00403160

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of alexis richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 02:43
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Cc: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] TOC Agenda 10/2/2018

I have updated the Agenda

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, 22:19 alexis richardson, <alexis@...> wrote:
Hi all

Apologies, there will be an updated Agenda tomorrow. Want to discuss some TOC business.  Will be asking project presentations to go on hold

Alexis

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, 21:02 Chris Aniszczyk, <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Here's the agenda deck for tomorrow:

We will be hearing from the keycloak project on top of welcoming Cheryl to the CNCF who will be working on ways to improve our end user ecosystem.

See everyone tomorrow!

Re: TOC Agenda 10/2/2018

Richard Hartmann

I won't have time to listen in on the call, but I like what I am
seeing. Thanks Alexis and everyone else.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 11:43 AM alexis richardson <alexis@weave.works> wrote:

I have updated the Agenda

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Xt1xNSN8_pGuDLl5H8xEYToFss7VoIm7GBG0e_HrsLc/edit?ts=5bae170b#slide=id.g25ca91f87f_0_0

We will be hearing from the keycloak project on top of welcoming Cheryl to the CNCF who will be working on ways to improve our end user ecosystem.

See everyone tomorrow!

Re: TOC Agenda 10/2/2018

alexis richardson

[...]

TOC Agenda 10/2/2018

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the agenda deck for tomorrow:

We will be hearing from the keycloak project on top of welcoming Cheryl to the CNCF who will be working on ways to improve our end user ecosystem.

See everyone tomorrow!

Re: [VOTE] SAFE (Security) Working Group

Tom Keiser

+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 2:36 AM Zhipeng Huang <zhipengh512@...> wrote:
would like to remind TOC member to vote on WG proposition :)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:24 AM Sree Tummidi <stummidi@...> wrote:
Sree Tummidi

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado

[RESULT] Rook moving to incubation (PASSED)

Chris Aniszczyk

The vote for Rook moving to the incubation maturity level has been approved: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/139

https://www.cncf.io/blog/2018/09/25/toc-votes-to-move-rook/

+1 non-binding community votes:

Thanks all!

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

On Aug 21, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Aviv Laufer

+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 5:57 PM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Aviv Laufer
| DoiT International
phone: +972-54-5365536
email: aviv@...
Follow me:linkedintwittermediumgithub

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Suresh Krishnan

+1 (non-binding)

On Sep 25, 2018, at 1:55 AM, Aparna Sinha via Lists.Cncf.Io <apsinha=google.com@...> wrote:

+1 non-binding

+1 non binding

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Aparna Sinha
Group Product Manager
Kubernetes

650-283-6086 (m)

Re: [VOTE] SAFE (Security) Working Group

Zhipeng Huang

[...]

Alena Prokharchyk

+1 non binding

Ayrat Khayretdinov <akhayretdinov@...>

+1 non binding

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, 10:57 Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a separate coordination service for other distributed systems like Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects: https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Liz Rice

+1 non binding

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 at 14:56, <sam@...> wrote:

Sam Batschelet

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

sam@...

Sam Batschelet

Re: [VOTE] etcd project proposal (incubation)

Jonathan Boulle <jon@...>

very belated +1 binding

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 11:25, Michael Hausenblas <mhausenb@...> wrote:

Michael

--
Michael Hausenblas, Developer Advocate
OpenShift by Red Hat

> The etcd project is being proposed as an INCUBATION level CNCF project,
> sponsored by Brian Grant from the TOC: https://github.com/coreos/etcd
>
> etcd is a consistent distributed key-value store, designed to hold small
> amounts of data that can fit entirely in memory and mainly used as a
> separate coordination service for other distributed systems like
> Kubernetes. It is used by a variety organizations and projects:
> https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-users.md
>
> Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full project proposal
> located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/143
>
> Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate
> non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719

4541 - 4560 of 6990