Date   

Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Julien SENON
 

+1 nb

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 4:41 PM Ken Owens <kenchristineowens@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 8:17 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Ken Owens
 

+1 nb

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 8:17 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Randy Abernethy
 

+1 nb

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:17 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719



--
-- 
Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@...
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Steven Dake
 

+1 non-binding.

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:17 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!


--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Lorenzo Fontana <fontanalorenz@...>
 

+1 non binding :)

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 6:49 AM Nathan Shimek <nathan.shimek@...> wrote:
+1nb - looking forward to contributing!

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:46 AM Hausenblas, Michael via Lists.Cncf.Io <hausenbl=amazon.com@...> wrote:
+1, super excited about it and will contribute.

Cheers,
Michael

--

Developer Advocate @ AWS
+353 86 0215164

On 29 May 2019 at 14:17:58, Chris Aniszczyk (caniszczyk@...) wrote:
> A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the
> TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ
>
> Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located
> here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146
>
> Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate
> non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719
>
>
>
>
Amazon Data Services Ireland Limited registered office: One Burlington Plaza, Burlington Road, Dublin 4, Ireland. Registered in Ireland. Registration number 390566.





--
New Context
Nathan Shimek
VP of Client Solutions
 415-940-2786
  


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

nathan.shimek@...
 

+1nb - looking forward to contributing!

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:46 AM Hausenblas, Michael via Lists.Cncf.Io <hausenbl=amazon.com@...> wrote:
+1, super excited about it and will contribute.

Cheers,
Michael

--

Developer Advocate @ AWS
+353 86 0215164

On 29 May 2019 at 14:17:58, Chris Aniszczyk (caniszczyk@...) wrote:
> A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the
> TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ
>
> Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located
> here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146
>
> Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate
> non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!
>
> --
> Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719
>
>
>
>
Amazon Data Services Ireland Limited registered office: One Burlington Plaza, Burlington Road, Dublin 4, Ireland. Registered in Ireland. Registration number 390566.





--
New Context
Nathan Shimek
VP of Client Solutions
 415-940-2786
  


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Sunil James <sunil@...>
 

+1 non-binding. 

SJ



On Wed, May 29, 2019, 6:17 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Hausenblas, Michael
 

+1, super excited about it and will contribute.

Cheers,
Michael

--

Developer Advocate @ AWS
+353 86 0215164

On 29 May 2019 at 14:17:58, Chris Aniszczyk (caniszczyk@...) wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the
TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located
here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate
non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719



Amazon Data Services Ireland Limited registered office: One Burlington Plaza, Burlington Road, Dublin 4, Ireland. Registered in Ireland. Registration number 390566.


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

alexis richardson
 

+1 binding


On Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:37 Justin Cormack via Lists.Cncf.Io, <justin.cormack=docker.com@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 16:17, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!


--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Justin Cormack
 

+1 nb

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 16:17, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!


--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Roger Klorese <roger.klorese@...>
 

+1/nb 

Roger B.A. Klorese
Senior Product Manager
SUSE
705 5th Ave SSuite 1000
Seattle WA 98104

(P)+1 206.217.7432
(M)+1 425.444.5493
roger.klorese@...
Schedule a meeting: https://doodle.com/RogerKlorese
GPG Key: D567 F186 A6AE D244 067E  95E4 E67D 019F 0670 D9CC


On May 29, 2019, at 6:22 AM, Lee Calcote <leecalcote@...> wrote:

Excellent. +1 non-binding.

On May 29, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


Re: [VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Lee Calcote
 

Excellent. +1 non-binding.

On May 29, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:

A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


[VOTE] CNCF Security SIG

Chris Aniszczyk
 

A new CNCF Security SIG has been proposed with Liz Rice and Joe Beda as the TOC liaisons. The Co-Chairs: Sarah Allen, Dan Shaw, Jeyappragash JJ

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/146

Remember that the TOC has binding votes only, but we do appreciate non-binding votes from the community as a sign of support!

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


CNCF interactions with Huawei

Dan Kohn <dan@...>
 

CNCF interactions with Huawei are covered by this statement from the Linux Foundation:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/2019/05/linux-foundation-statement-on-huawei-entity-list-ruling/

In short, our collaboration continues. If you have questions about this policy, please feel free to have your company's counsel reach out to Michael Dolan <mdolan@...> to discuss. Note that the ASF and OpenStack are operating under the same policy:

--
Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com


Reminder: TOC Session at KubeCon EU 2019 @ 1155am

Chris Aniszczyk
 

Just a reminder, we have a TOC session at 1155am today:

Essentially it will be an open meeting, with some intros + questions and then we will have an open Q&A with the audience.

--
Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719


[RESULT] CNCF Storage SIG (APPROVED)

Chris Aniszczyk
 


Re: the challenge of documentation

Sarah Allen
 

I can't speak to what was discussed at the meeting, but I agree that the contributors need help.  In my experience, they (mostly) do want to produce good documentation. 

Many projects would benefit from experienced technical writers; however, I think the need is bigger than that. I'm seeing that many projects don't often get effective feedback from target users.  In the security reviews, I'm finding that it often takes quite a bit of time to just understand what the project is supposed to do (e.g. what problem is it solving, what is is not trying to accomplish).  I'm seeing a lot of confusion where developer or operators expect a project wil handle some aspect of security, but the project believes that is outside of its scope... but this problem isn't just about security.  Often the fundamental project capabilities are very time consuming to understand.

I'd like to see the core functionality explained better with clear tutorials of common use cases.  This is very hard for a project to do on its own, since maintainers typically don't understand the full context in how their projects are used.

Some ideas...
  1. Pair a writer with user researcher and invite "End User" companies to participate, let the maintainers watch developers go through the process of using the software.  This is standard practice with UI, and increasingly with APIs in larger companies, but rare in open source -- access to the cross-functional team + willing participants is very hard for an open source project to make happen.
  2. Create a virtual internship program where unemployed developers or students can apply to spend 5-10 hours with a project of their choosing, attempting to build something, writing up issues, making doc PRs, etc.  I strongly suggest actually paying people money for this, even though the overhead can be significant.  This would expand the talent pool as well as addressing gaps in the docs that are very hard to see by maintainers.
  3. CNCF technical writer could hold office hours and help triage doc bugs, review information architecture, and other advice.  
  4. Tell projects there is a budge of YY hours of a technical writer -- they just need to tag doc issues as "help wanted" and make sure their contributor guide includes appropriate context for how people can contribute to the docs. 
I appreciate that the CNCF TOC is thinking about this!

Sarah


On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 9:33 AM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
Great articulation, thank you Brian. IMO this adds more weight to the argument for hiring another writer to help the projects with these doc challenges. 


On 20 May 2019, at 20:11, Michelle Noorali <michelle.noorali@...> wrote:

Thank you Brian. That’s a really good point.

On May 20, 2019, at 6:41 PM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:

The challenge of documentation was mischaracterized in the GB/TOC meeting today.

It's less that contributors don't want to produce good documentation, but that it requires specialized expertise to do so. Issues like:
  • Information architecture
  • Navigation hierarchy and SEO to make documents sufficiently discoverable
  • What types of documents are needed and what structure and content they should have
  • Identifying target audiences and user scenarios that need to be represented in tutorials and how-to documents
  • Documentation versioning
  • Site management and analytics
  • Internationalization and accessibility
  • Mobile and web layouts
  • Tools and services available for publishing/hosting documentation
  • Processes for accepting contributions and keeping technical content up to date
Producing and maintaining documentation is hard.


Re: the challenge of documentation

Liz Rice
 

Great articulation, thank you Brian. IMO this adds more weight to the argument for hiring another writer to help the projects with these doc challenges. 


On 20 May 2019, at 20:11, Michelle Noorali <michelle.noorali@...> wrote:

Thank you Brian. That’s a really good point.

On May 20, 2019, at 6:41 PM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:

The challenge of documentation was mischaracterized in the GB/TOC meeting today.

It's less that contributors don't want to produce good documentation, but that it requires specialized expertise to do so. Issues like:
  • Information architecture
  • Navigation hierarchy and SEO to make documents sufficiently discoverable
  • What types of documents are needed and what structure and content they should have
  • Identifying target audiences and user scenarios that need to be represented in tutorials and how-to documents
  • Documentation versioning
  • Site management and analytics
  • Internationalization and accessibility
  • Mobile and web layouts
  • Tools and services available for publishing/hosting documentation
  • Processes for accepting contributions and keeping technical content up to date
Producing and maintaining documentation is hard.


Re: the challenge of documentation

Michelle Noorali <michelle.noorali@...>
 

Thank you Brian. That’s a really good point.

On May 20, 2019, at 6:41 PM, Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:

The challenge of documentation was mischaracterized in the GB/TOC meeting today.

It's less that contributors don't want to produce good documentation, but that it requires specialized expertise to do so. Issues like:
  • Information architecture
  • Navigation hierarchy and SEO to make documents sufficiently discoverable
  • What types of documents are needed and what structure and content they should have
  • Identifying target audiences and user scenarios that need to be represented in tutorials and how-to documents
  • Documentation versioning
  • Site management and analytics
  • Internationalization and accessibility
  • Mobile and web layouts
  • Tools and services available for publishing/hosting documentation
  • Processes for accepting contributions and keeping technical content up to date
Producing and maintaining documentation is hard.


[RESULT] tikv moving to incubation (APPROVED)

Chris Aniszczyk
 

4421 - 4440 of 7730