From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:25 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Falco moving to incubation

Falco has requested to move to the incubation maturity level:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/307

The Falco community believes it has fulfilled all the incubation criteria:

Joe Beda from the TOC has performed due diligence:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TJCzW8dQ6858lw2UNY-H5LMnvEd4GzwjuOcDInimeyA/edit?ts=5dacfd96#heading=h.378jkvcve1nq

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/307

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [TOC] Nominations Open through 12pm PT, December 20th, 2019

Amye Scavarda Perrin

The qualification process is the same for all of the TOC nominees.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:32 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:

Another one that i saw in the charter was the section that says - "Qualification: After the Evaluation Period, the Governing Board and the TOC members shall vote on each nominee individually to validate that the nominee meets the qualification criteria. A valid vote shall require at least 50% participation. Nominees passing with over 50% shall be Qualified Nominees."

Is this true for all the 3 groups? Will this be enforced for the "Graduating + Incubating Maintainers" group too?

It's getting way too complicated for my brain!

-- Dims

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 7:54 PM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:51 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin
<amye@...> wrote:

> There is an #elections channel on the CNCF slack for questions, I am also going to reserve time on Tuesday's TOC meeting for questions.
> Happy to talk this through so that it makes sense.

it's too complicated, sorry

please can we avoid all processes that require in-person explanation,
or in-slack, since these repel applicants

> -amye
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, 4:43 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
>>
>> amye,
>>
>> 100% respectfully to you and to all those who drafted the language
>> below: i have no idea what those words mean.  sorry.

>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin
>> <ascavarda@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > The Maintainers Election Policy has been updated for Graduating and Incubating maintainers to nominate themselves.
>> >
>> > Maintainers Nomination
>> > To nominate themselves for an open position, a graduated or incubating maintainer needs to send an email to the private list cncf-maintainer-nomination@... prior to the announced deadline with a maximum 1-page nomination pitch which includes the nominee's name, contact information, and a supporting statement identifying the nominee's experience in CNCF domains and interest in the position. The nominee needs to cc (i.e., copy) 2 other maintainers from 2 different graduated or incubating CNCF projects who each need to group reply endorsing the nomination. The 2 endorsers also need to be employed by different companies than the nominee and each other (i.e., the nominee and endorsers must each work for a different group of Related Companies as defined in the CNCF Charter section 14). It is the nominee’s responsibility to ensure that their nomination and both endorsements are sent prior to the deadline.
>> > The deadline for this nomination period is 12pm Pacific time, December 20th.

>> > --
>> > Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [TOC] Nominations Open through 12pm PT, December 20th, 2019

Amye Scavarda Perrin

This is a great question!
In order to "stand", you need to self-nominate, get another maintainer to nominate you, get a GB member or end user member to nominate you.

There are no prerequisites for individuals being nominated by the GB and end user community.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:36 PM Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:
One thing is not entirely clear...

can anyone stand?

The charter notes that:

The Governing Board shall determine the process and timeline for the nominations, qualification and election of TOC members.

For the non-sandbox project maintainers the criteria that the person be a maintainer was publicly documented in the publicly documented process.

But, the GB and end-user community processes do not appear to be publicly documented. Do they have qualifications like the maintainer seat needs to be a maintainer? These kinds of processes and qualifications would be great to have documented in an open and accessible manner.

- Matt Farina

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, at 8:06 PM, Alexis Richardson wrote:
yes this helps

can anyone stand?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 1:02 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin
<amye@...> wrote:

> [...]
>> 2. if you wish to help, what should you do in simple steps
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:49 AM Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have been asking a bunch of questions so far and here's what I've learned...
>> >
>> > 5 seats are up for election. 3 elected by the GB, 1 elected by the end user community, and 1 elected by the maintainers of the graduated and incubating projects
>> > The maintainers election process is new and comes through a GB process which is what the charter notes. It entails...
>> >
>> > The use of the word nominate confused me at first. We often think of nominate as "to propose (someone) for appointment or election to an office." A second definition is "to appoint to a duty or office." which is the one being used here. Definitions from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nominate
>> > To get someone on the ballet
>> >
>> > A person needs to be proposed and accepted
>> > 2 maintainers from two other incubation or graduated projects need to endorse. These two people cannot be from the same project as the person running. 3 total projects represented in this process. I got this from some recent direct conversations. The language confused me.
>> > The 2 endorsements need to be from different companies for each other and the nominee. A total of 3 companies represented.
>> >
>> > The election (not covered in that statement) is also complex and new. The voting is setup to give more power to graduated projects and make it so the number of maintainers on any project does not give them more power in the election.
>> >

>> > Hope this helps. I'm thankful for Amye and Dan spending time answering my questions on this whole process.
>> >
>> > - Matt Farina
>> >
>> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, at 7:37 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for reaching out!
>> > There are 5 seats to nominate: 3 from the General Board, 1 from the end user community, 1 from the maintainers group of Graduating + Incubating projects.
>> > We have 9 days to be able to nominate candidates.
>> >

>> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > hi folks
>> >
>> > please can someone explain, in plain language, what this means
>> >
>> > i am unable to make sense of the written materials presented thus far,
>> > which may well be due to my own inadequacy
>> >
>> > in particular, what does this mean? "five seats are open for
>> > nomination by the GB, End User Community and Graduating + Incubating
>> > Maintainers. Nominations are open for the three Selecting Groups."
>> >
>> > also, whatever the window to dec 20th means, it feels short and
>> > untimely as we hit 'holiday season'.

>> > --
>> > Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...
>> >

> --
> Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

--
Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [TOC] Nominations Open through 12pm PT, December 20th, 2019

Matt Farina

<amye@...> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > hi folks
>> >
>> > please can someone explain, in plain language, what this means
>> >
>> > i am unable to make sense of the written materials presented thus far,
>> > which may well be due to my own inadequacy
>> >
>> > in particular, what does this mean? "five seats are open for
>> > nomination by the GB, End User Community and Graduating + Incubating
>> > Maintainers. Nominations are open for the three Selecting Groups."
>> >
>> > also, whatever the window to dec 20th means, it feels short and
>> > untimely as we hit 'holiday season'.

>> > --
>> > Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...
>> >

> --
> Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [TOC] Nominations Open through 12pm PT, December 20th, 2019

Davanum Srinivas

<amye@...> wrote:

> There is an #elections channel on the CNCF slack for questions, I am also going to reserve time on Tuesday's TOC meeting for questions.
> Happy to talk this through so that it makes sense.

it's too complicated, sorry

please can we avoid all processes that require in-person explanation,
or in-slack, since these repel applicants

> -amye
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, 4:43 PM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
>>
>> amye,
>>
>> 100% respectfully to you and to all those who drafted the language
>> below: i have no idea what those words mean.  sorry.

>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin
>> <ascavarda@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > The Maintainers Election Policy has been updated for Graduating and Incubating maintainers to nominate themselves.
>> >
>> > Maintainers Nomination
>> > To nominate themselves for an open position, a graduated or incubating maintainer needs to send an email to the private list cncf-maintainer-nomination@... prior to the announced deadline with a maximum 1-page nomination pitch which includes the nominee's name, contact information, and a supporting statement identifying the nominee's experience in CNCF domains and interest in the position. The nominee needs to cc (i.e., copy) 2 other maintainers from 2 different graduated or incubating CNCF projects who each need to group reply endorsing the nomination. The 2 endorsers also need to be employed by different companies than the nominee and each other (i.e., the nominee and endorsers must each work for a different group of Related Companies as defined in the CNCF Charter section 14). It is the nominee’s responsibility to ensure that their nomination and both endorsements are sent prior to the deadline.
>> > The deadline for this nomination period is 12pm Pacific time, December 20th.

>> > --
>> > Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [TOC] Nominations Open through 12pm PT, December 20th, 2019

alexis richardson

Also, the maintainer election policy can be found at https://github.com/cncf/foundation/blob/master/maintainers-election-policy.md

<ascavarda@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

The blog post goes into more detail about the different seats open: https://www.cncf.io/blog/2019/12/06/cncf-toc-governance-structure-elections-2020/

re: timing, we don't expect to have any problem getting nominations in with the amount of people already asking how to get nominated

<ascavarda@...> wrote:

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Falco moving to incubation

Koerbaecher Max

+1 nb

Max Körbächer

Storm Reply
a Reply AG company

Luise-Ullrich-Straße 14
80636 - München - GERMANY

phone: +49 89 411142-0
mobile: +49 151 19556474

m.koerbaecher@...
www.reply.de

 Storm Reply

Von: <cncf-toc@...> im Auftrag von iftach Schonbaum <iftachsc@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2019 um 10:44
An: "golfen.guo@..." <golfen.guo@...>, "michelle.noorali@..." <michelle.noorali@...>, "Owens, Ken via Lists.Cncf.Io" <ken.owens=mastercard.com@...>, Philippe Robin <Philippe.Robin@...>, "ascavarda@..." <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Betreff: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Falco moving to incubation

+1 nb

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "GolfenGuo via Lists.Cncf.Io" <golfen.guo=daocloud.io@...>
Date: Tuesday, 10 December 2019 at 3:40
To: "michelle.noorali@..." <michelle.noorali@...>, "Owens, Ken via Lists.Cncf.Io" <ken.owens=mastercard.com@...>, Philippe Robin <Philippe.Robin@...>, "ascavarda@..." <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Falco moving to incubation

郭峰  Golfen Guo

Co-founder & CTO

+86 18016427071

Shanghai DaoCloud Network Technology Co,. Ltd

#Your Cloud Native Application Delivered!#

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 "Michelle Noorali via Lists.Cncf.Io" <michelle.noorali=microsoft.com@...>
答复: "michelle.noorali@..." <michelle.noorali@...>
日期: 20191210 星期二 上午4:24
收件人: "Owens, Ken via Lists.Cncf.Io" <ken.owens=mastercard.com@...>, Philippe Robin <Philippe.Robin@...>, "ascavarda@..." <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
抄送: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
主题: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Falco moving to incubation

+1 binding

From: Philippe Robin <Philippe.Robin@...>

Date: 12/5/19 9:24 AM (GMT-06:00)

To: ascavarda@..., CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

CAUTION: The message originated from an EXTERNAL SOURCE. Please use caution when opening attachments, clicking links or responding to this email.

+1 non-binding

Falco has requested to move to the incubation maturity level:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/307

The Falco community believes it has fulfilled all the incubation criteria:

Joe Beda from the TOC has performed due diligence:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TJCzW8dQ6858lw2UNY-H5LMnvEd4GzwjuOcDInimeyA/edit?ts=5dacfd96#heading=h.378jkvcve1nq

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/307

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager, CNCF | amye@...

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This e-mail message and any attachments are only for the use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution or other use of this e-mail message or attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

本邮件及附件含 DaoCloud 保密信息,仅限发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组,禁止任何其他人以任何形式使用本邮件中的信息。若误收本邮件,请务必通知发送人并直接删去,不得使用、传播或复制本邮件。

Storm Reply GmbH
Sitz/Registered Office: Gütersloh
Handelsregister/Register of Companies: Amtsgericht Gütersloh, HRB 9906
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Danilo Albino, Michele Giordano, Peter Sleur

Re: [VOTE] Falco moving to incubation

iftach Schonbaum

+1 nb

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 "Michelle Noorali via Lists.Cncf.Io" <michelle.noorali=microsoft.com@...>