Date

Re: Postponing KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam

Kevin Wang

Big +1.
I and a few community members are also discussing on organizing virtual summit for the China (or probably APAC) Community.
Most chinese contributors would not be able to attend KubeCon EU nor KubeCon NA, I believe people would be happy to join even it's a virtual one.
Let's have a talk how to collaborate.

Thanks,
Kevin Wang

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 05:40 PM, Puja Abbassi wrote:
We are thinking of at least organizing a virtual Contributor Summit for China now. It's not decided, yet, but it was proposed and we will discuss what we can do.

Puja

Re: Postponing KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam

Puja Abbassi

We are thinking of at least organizing a virtual Contributor Summit for China now. It's not decided, yet, but it was proposed and we will discuss what we can do.

Puja

Re: Postponing KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam

Jimmy Song <jimmysong@...>

Although Chinese community members feel disappointed, after all, safety first. We can meet next year.
---------------------------------------
Best Regards.

Jimmy Song(宋净超)

Developer Advocate at Ant Financial
CNCF Ambassador
Co-founder of ServiceMesher community

WeChat: jimmysongio

On Mar 5, 2020, at 10:53 PM, Haining Zhang <hi@...> wrote:

It was a pity to learn that KubeCon Shanghai had been canceled. Community members in China were disappointed, but supportive of the decision. It's a wise move given the current situation. Thanks CNCF for being considerate of attendees' health and safety.

Henry

-----------------------------

Creator and maintainer of Harbor

https://github.com/goharbor/harbor

@zhanghaining

On 3/5/20 12:09 AM, Dan Kohn wrote:

Dear Cloud Native Community:

The health, safety, and wellbeing of our attendees and staff are our highest priority, and we know that what makes KubeCon + CloudNativeCon such a great event is the people who gather there. Thus, after discussions with many community members, we have made the difficult decision to postpone KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam (originally set for March 29 to April 2, 2020) to instead be held in July or August, 2020. (We’re finalizing the date and will announce it shortly.) We expect that by mid-summer, there will be more clarity on the effectiveness of control measures to enable safe travel to industry events like this one.

Additionally, we are, unfortunately, canceling KubeCon + CloudNativeCon + Open Source Summit Shanghai in July 2020 due to the uncertainty around travel to China and our ability to assemble the speakers, sponsors, and attendees necessary for a successful event. CNCF remains deeply committed to engaging with our Chinese community and we are looking forward to again holding KubeCon + CloudNativeCon + Open Source Summit in China in 2021.

Our North America event in Boston will occur as planned, November 17-20, 2020.

These events are important to all of us. Although nearly all the implementation work for CNCF-hosted projects is conducted online, in-person events are invaluable for making and strengthening the connections that enable our technical communities to thrive. Our sponsors, project maintainers, technical audience, and many community members consider it one of the best networking, learning, and marketing opportunities of the year. CNCF reinvests the income from events to directly support CNCF’s hosted projects. Some recent examples include funding the Kubernetes security audit, bug bounty program, and Jepsen testing of etcd. The services CNCF provides to its hosted projects are detailed in the latest CNCF Annual Report.

Thank you for your patience as we work through the issues regarding these changes. Please continue to support each other in the community, wash your hands, and we look forward to seeing you in July/August.

- CNCF staff

Here is an initial FAQ:

I’ve registered for Amsterdam; what do I do?

Your Amsterdam registration is being updated to the July/August date, so if you can attend in July/August, you’re all set for registration.

We are working with our host hotels on a process to cancel current reservations.  We will advise attendees on the next steps shortly here and via email. Once the new dates are finalized, we will upload new reservation links, and you can directly make new reservations.

If you are unable to attend in July/August, please cancel your registration online by logging back into your registration using your confirmation number and select “unregister” and you will be refunded in full. You will also need to cancel your hotel directly. Please email events@... if you encounter any issues.

I’m sponsoring in Amsterdam; what do I do?

We sincerely hope that all 180 Amsterdam sponsors will be able to work with the new date in July/August. The sponsor team will be in touch in the next couple of weeks with a contract addendum covering the new date. If you are unable to accommodate the new date, we will work with you to apply your sponsorship to a future CNCF event or, if necessary, provide a refund. This also applies to organizations hosting a Day 0 co-located event.

I’m a diversity scholar, media, analyst, or speaker who received travel funding; what do I do?

We’ll be contacting you directly in the next week to assist in changing your travel plans.

I’m a speaker; what do I do?

We are planning to keep the schedule the same. The co-chairs will work with speakers who need to make adjustments to their topics to cover advances in the intervening six months, but the topic of the talk needs to be the same.

If you are unable to travel on the new dates, and you don’t have a co-speaker who can do the talk, we will backfill your talk from the waitlist. When choosing waitlisted talks, the co-chairs may also pull from the recently-completed CFP to KubeCon + CloudNativeCon China.

I’ve registered for a Day 0 co-located event, what do I do?

We are in the process of confirming with the organizers that each of the Day 0 events will go forward as planned. We will inform attendees of any that are being canceled and encourage them to register for a different Day 0 event.

I have other questions

Attendees can email events@..., speakers can email speakers@... and sponsors can email sponsorservices@.... We request your patience as we deal with the volume of inquiries.

--
Dan Kohn <dan@...> +1-415-233-1000
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation cncf.io

Re: Postponing KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam

Haining Zhang

[...]

SPIFFE/SPIRE Incubation Proposal and Annual Review

Andres Vega <av@...>

Hello TOC,

In your response to the annual review request, I just created PR https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/382. We would like to request a slot in the upcoming TOC meeting if available. As part of it, the project team would like to combine the review with a proposal for incubation status.

Here are the materials we have prepared for this process:

Thanks and best regards,

Andres Vega
av@... | +1 408 420-1680
Scytale.io

Re: Postponing KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Amsterdam

Jacopo Nardiello

While I understand Andreas frustration, I think this was the right call. I just wanted to thank the CNCF and all Board of Directors for their hard work and for taking an incredibly hard choice in the public best interest.

I just wanted to let you know that, at this challenging time, we, as CNCF members and KubeCon EU sponsors, are fully supporting you in this decision.

_______________________________________

Jacopo Nardiello
Founder & CEO - SIGHUP
DevOps / Cloud-Native infrastructures

CNCF Silver Member
Kubernetes Certified Service Provider (KCSP)

@jnardiello/ github.com/jnardiello
https://calendly.com/jnardiello // Book a meeting
http://sighup.io

On 4 Mar 2020, 22:56 +0100, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, wrote:
Andreas, the CNCF Board of Directors and staff have made this call as we reached out to a lot of community members and sponsors to come up with the best solution for the safety of our community. Given recent events across the world and even in the country we are hosting the event, postponing the EU event versus cancelling seems prudent.

Thank you for understanding and we hope to see you at the event in the summer.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 3:50 PM Andreas Stroppel <Andreas.Stroppel@...> wrote:

Sorry guys…

But somehow i feeling lost now.. How did we just switch from a discussion of a plan B and what kind to use to a sudden movement of the whole event. And all of this after just 2 days when we got an email mentioning,

That everything is fine and we can be informed of the kubecon side that everything will be done to keep all attendees save.

It is not too long since I am a sponsor, but this behaviour somehow seems as pure reaction and panic oriented. I don’t even know how I can see this as cool headed and interpret this as a thorough decision.

It feels like we switch from feeling quite fine, through a discussion and then while originally discussing a plan B we already implemented plan B. But without any concrete situation forcing us to do this.

Has anyone calculated the impact on all day 0 Events, Or sponsors of this event? All the effort already put in place and all the preparations?`

Just to clarify. I am a full supporter of security first and even a cancelation if needed. But for me this is pure panic nothing I can understand and to be honest quite confusing…

What in all this is professional behaviour?

The decision is made and we have to accept this. But as an sponsor/investor to such an event, I really don’t know what to think of such reaction…

Just my 2 cent which hat do be written out of some frustration….

Greetings Andreas

[...]

Re: Agenda for 3/3

Gerred Dillon

Hi Erin,

This particular discussion happened at the beginning of the TOC meeting. We specifically got combined when we were raised for discussion, and then we got skipped after discussing the hub that got raised yesterday. I raised a lot of these expectations during the SIG App Delivery meeting today - there was no private meeting outside of anything known publicly, and was focused around hitting topics that we've presented on in the SIG in the past. Any new content I'll also make sure is publicly available. :)

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 12:51 PM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Gerred,
Would it be possible that we have those discussions in public rather than private meetings (or a read out after) so we can all benefit from things that may have been missed or expectations for our projects?
I know the SIG process is new and we are continually learning and improving but there is a strong desire from the community at large to ensure transparency across the board and I do think it would help make sure SIGs and TOCs are aligned.
Thanks,
Erin

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 12:04 PM Gerred Dillon <hello@...> wrote:
Hi,

KUDO also got combined with OF on the SIG App Delivery slide from a discussion perspective and then was never followed up on. I've since talked with Michelle, and have meeting times setup with other TOC members and am finalizing our due diligence docs. Is there anything we're missing? We got completely left out and I'd like to ensure a smooth process so I don't miss anything.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 2:01 PM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Hi All,
I have met with Matt and he will comment in the PR there isn't a blocker from a Helm perspective.
Longer term would like to understand how the 'hub' became a dependency in the process....if anyone can weigh in on that it would be appreciated for future projects.
Thanks,
Erin

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 11:06 AM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Matt,
Can you kindly send me a link to this call.
For the life of me, if it wasn't the DD SIG call, I don't have any recollection of it.
Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Thanks,
Erin

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 10:40 AM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Hello TOC,
So I was a little troubled about the discussion around the operator framework.
Looking through the PR (indidating it was to come up for the vote) and then to hear there is a secondary conversation with Dan  (I assume, Kohn)....I am feeling lost here.

To be clear, I was not a call with Matt and Dan, so I have no reference to what this is about. I was on the discussion with the SIG and I was under the impression they were in support.

Can someone please clearly articulate what "Dan is figuring out." in the PR so it's consumable for the community. I feel we are not being fully transparent with this status and next steps for the project.

Thanks,
Erin

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:56 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Hi all,
We'll be meeting today, agenda is as follows:
SIG Updates:
* SIG-Storage
* SIG-Security
* SIG-App Delivery
* SIG-Runtime
* SIG-Network
Forming SIGs
* SIG Observability
* SIG Contributor Strategy
Projects waiting for TOC input
Graduation Process Review

See you there!
-- amye

Erin A. Boyd

Senior Principal Software Engineer, OCTO

Red Hat

eboyd@...

--

Erin A. Boyd

Senior Principal Software Engineer, OCTO

Red Hat

eboyd@...

--

Erin A. Boyd

Senior Principal Software Engineer, OCTO

Red Hat

eboyd@...

--

Erin A. Boyd

Senior Principal Software Engineer, OCTO

Red Hat

eboyd@...

Propose donation of Dex as a Sandbox project

Stephen Augustus

Hey TOC,

Long-time listener, few-time emailer.
We've just submitted a proposal PR to donate Dex to CNCF as a Sandbox project: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/379
PTAL when you have a chance. :)

-- Stephen

Re: Agenda for 3/3

Erin Boyd

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

[...]

Ricardo Aravena

Hi Erin,

Some of us in SIG-Runtime reviewed the Harbor DD for Graduation from the Runtime perspective and didn't find any substantive concerns.

We decided to create a PR

We'll update the document so that we can have a consolidated review.

I agree, let's not jump the gun on a vote until all the relevant SIGs have weighed in.

Thanks,
Ricardo

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 9:10 AM Erin Boyd <eboyd@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted to clarify a few things for Harbor.
It is not ready for a vote. The 'main SIG', SIG-runtimes, has not provided a recommendation.
In addition, I don't feel like I conveyed our concerns (SIG-Storage) around external dependencies clearly enough. We would not move to graduate based on our findings. We will update our DD into the consolidated document but given this document is empty, I just want to make sure we aren't jumping the gun on a vote.

Thanks,
Erin

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:56 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Hi all,
We'll be meeting today, agenda is as follows:
SIG Updates:
* SIG-Storage
* SIG-Security
* SIG-App Delivery
* SIG-Runtime
* SIG-Network
Forming SIGs
* SIG Observability
* SIG Contributor Strategy
Projects waiting for TOC input
Graduation Process Review

See you there!
-- amye

Erin A. Boyd

Senior Principal Software Engineer, OCTO

Red Hat

eboyd@...

Re: Harbor Graduation next steps

Quinton Hoole <quinton@...>

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...> wrote:
Xiang,

That's still the case. There are several aspects such as its use of Notary and image scanners that fall under the scope of SIG-Security.

Thanks,
Ricardo

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:41 AM Li, Xiang <x.li@...> wrote:
I remember that the runtime sig ( main sig of the
review ) also requested a co-review from sig security. Is that still the case? Can you double check with sig runtime?

- Xiang

发件人:Michael Michael<michmike@...>
日 期:2020年03月04日 00:27:15
收件人:<cncf-toc@...>
主 题:[cncf-toc] Harbor Graduation next steps

hello TOC and Mr Xiang Li,

first,i would like to thank sig-runtime and sig-storage in their review of Harbor.
Sig-storage results are at https://github.com/cncf/sig-storage/pull/52
Sig-runtime results are at https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/311#issuecomment-588561863

The Harbor graduation PR is at https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/311 (PR has links to the due diligence document as well)

Mr Xiang, as our TOC assignee, is there anything else you need from the Harbor team before a vote is called for Harbor graduation?

thanks,

Michael Michael
Harbor Maintainer

quinton@...

Re: Agenda for 3/3

Erin Boyd

[...]

Amye Scavarda Perrin

Following up from today's meeting, items for review:

SIG Charters to Review:
SIG Contributor Strategy: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/370
SIG Observability: https://github.com/cncf/sig-observability/pull/1

Projects that need 3 TOC sponsors to be included at Sandbox level:
* Volcano (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/318)
- SIG-Runtime recommends,  Needs 3 TOC sponsors in the PR
* KEDA (https://github.com/cncf/toc/issues/335)
- SIG-Runtime recommends, needs 3 TOC sponsors in the PR

Projects that need a TOC vote to be included at Incubation level:
* Operator Framework (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/303)
- SIG-App Delivery recommends, Katie Gamanji has on deck for review
* Argo (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/299)
 - SIG-App Delivery recommends, Michelle Noorali has on deck for review

We'll be putting a March 17th agenda together to finalize graduation review process and leave time for graduation presentations.