Date

Re: Mentoring WG for Approval

Katie Gamanji

Reviewed too! LGTM

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022, 17:06 Davanum Srinivas, <davanum@...> wrote:
Just reviewed. LGTM Josh. Thanks for wrapping it up.

-- Dims

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 11:59 AM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
Dims, Kate, Matt, all:

Here's the final on the charter for the Mentoring WG:

https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy/pull/188

Once you approve this, I'll update references elsewhere.

--
-- Josh Berkus
    Kubernetes Community Architect

Re: Real Name Policy for CNCF

Gareth Rushgrove

Worth noting the policy doesn't define "real name".

This could be implied to mean full legal name (not a lawyer, but I
think that's the common usage term in law). Or you could imply it to
mean "the name literally everyone calls me in the real world". Those
two names for lots of people could be different.

That I think makes it clearer how this can be exclusionary and open to
being weaponised against marginalised folks.

Gareth

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 at 07:26, Frederick Kautz <frederick@...> wrote:

This policy is going to exclude a lot of people who are at risk from harassment. A significant number of people use pseudonyms today. We should consider revising this policy. Perhaps there is a path where we can allow people to register their pseudonym to help balance privacy and legal protection of the projects.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Christoph Blecker <cblecker@...> wrote:

This isn't so much a question, as it is a request for the CNCF/TOC to review and possibly reverse this policy. While I and many others choose to use their legal name when contributing to projects, there are many reasons why someone might choose to use a pseudonym while contributing. Examples of some of those reasons and the harm that a "real names" policy can create are discussed in the EFF's open letter to Facebook, when Facebook introduced their real name policy in 2015 [1].

Pseudonyms are also used regularly when publishing copyrighted works. When used in the book publishing industry, they are commonly known as "pen names". The U.S. Copyright Office [2] (where the CNCF is based) and the Canadian Intellectual Property Office [3] (where I am personally based) both affirm that use of a pseudonym is permitted.

I'm sure there are others who have more expertise in the subject who could provide more reasons and context, but I personally feel like this is an unnecessary barrier to contribution and may exclude talented contributors from our projects.

Cheers,
Christoph Blecker

[1]: https://www.eff.org/document/open-letter-facebook-about-its-real-names-policy
[2]: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ32.pdf
[3]: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr02281.html?Open&wt_src=cipo-cpyrght-main&wt_cxt=learn#copyrightInformation

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 3:04 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:

Hi Folks,

There was a query from one of the projects about Pseudonyms for DCO and CLA. The CNCF staff has clarified the current policy:
- https://github.com/cncf/foundation/issues/379
- https://github.com/cncf/toc/commit/4b5d5049bce9719bff4b10939389204bc0493557

If you have any questions related to this policy, please chime in.

thanks,
Dims

Gareth Rushgrove
@garethr

garethr.dev
devopsweekly.com

Re: Real Name Policy for CNCF

Frederick Kautz

[...]

[RESULT] CubeFS (formerly known as ChubaoFS) passed for incubation

Amye Scavarda Perrin

Re: Real Name Policy for CNCF

Christoph Blecker

[...]

Real Name Policy for CNCF

Davanum Srinivas

[...]

Mentoring WG for Approval

Josh Berkus

Dims, Kate, Matt, all:

Here's the final on the charter for the Mentoring WG:

https://github.com/cncf/tag-contributor-strategy/pull/188

Once you approve this, I'll update references elsewhere.

--
-- Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community Architect
OSPO, OCTO

Re: Comment period for Interim Code of Conduct documentation

Davanum Srinivas

Josh,

Thanks, Kudos go to Joanna and the interim CoCC team!.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 8:46 PM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 6/29/22 13:50, Erin Boyd wrote:

> As announced in today’s blog post
> <https://www.cncf.io/blog/2022/06/29/comment-period-for-interim-code-of-conduct-draft-documentation/>,
> the Interim CNCF Code of Conduct Committee has posted drafts of the
> following Code of Conduct documentation to the CNCF website for public
> review and comment:

These are really excellent ... and complicated!

Had some minor feedback around wording in just a couple of places
(submitted).

--
-- Josh Berkus
    Kubernetes Community Architect
    OSPO, OCTO

Re: Comment period for Interim Code of Conduct documentation

Josh Berkus

On 6/29/22 13:50, Erin Boyd wrote:
As announced in today’s blog post <https://www.cncf.io/blog/2022/06/29/comment-period-for-interim-code-of-conduct-draft-documentation/>, the Interim CNCF Code of Conduct Committee has posted drafts of the following Code of Conduct documentation to the CNCF website for public review and comment:
These are really excellent ... and complicated!

Had some minor feedback around wording in just a couple of places (submitted).

--
-- Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community Architect
OSPO, OCTO

Comment period for Interim Code of Conduct documentation

Erin Boyd

CNCF Community Members,

As announced in today’s blog post, the Interim CNCF Code of Conduct Committee has posted drafts of the following Code of Conduct documentation to the CNCF website for public review and comment:

We welcome your feedback.  If you have comments, please share them with us using our Feedback Form on or before July 15, 2022 (in any time zone).

Thank you.

Erin A. Boyd

Chairperson, Interim CNCF Code of Conduct Committee

--

Erin A. Boyd

Director of Emerging Technologies OCTO

Distinguished Engineer

Red Hat

eboyd@...

Re: [cncf-gb] TOC Election Results for GB Special Election

Katie Gamanji

Massage congrats and welcome on the TOCs!

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022, 12:08 Stephen Augustus, <hey@...> wrote:
Congrats Cathy!!!

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022, 17:32 Richard Hartmann <richih@...> wrote:
(Replying to both lists at once and adding Cathy directly, moving Jeffrey to CC)

Congrats, Cathy. Welcome aboard!

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 11:05 PM Jeffrey Sica <jsica@...> wrote:

> Many thanks to all who participated in this process, I’m pleased to announce the results of the special election.
>

> GB appointed seat:
>
> Cathy Zhang

locked [CNCF] Greetings from Singapore

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Subject: [CNCF] Greetings from Singapore

Hi!

My name is Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming.

I am a Targeted Individual (TI) living in Singapore.

Just a short intro :)

Re: [cncf-gb] TOC Election Results for GB Special Election

Stephen Augustus

Congrats Cathy!!!

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022, 17:32 Richard Hartmann <richih@...> wrote:
(Replying to both lists at once and adding Cathy directly, moving Jeffrey to CC)

Congrats, Cathy. Welcome aboard!

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 11:05 PM Jeffrey Sica <jsica@...> wrote:

> Many thanks to all who participated in this process, I’m pleased to announce the results of the special election.
>

> GB appointed seat:
>
> Cathy Zhang

Re: [cncf-gb] TOC Election Results for GB Special Election

Liz Rice

Congratulations!

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 at 00:02, Karena Angell <kangell@...> wrote:
Congratulations Cathy!!

--

Karena Angell

Principal Product Manager, OpenShift

Red Hat OpenShift

kangell@...

--

Karena Angell

Principal Product Manager, OpenShift

Red Hat OpenShift

kangell@...

Re: TOC Election Results for GB Special Election

Josh Berkus

On 6/28/22 14:12, Jeffrey Sica wrote:
Cathy Zhang
Wow, congrats!

--
-- Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community Architect
OSPO, OCTO

Re: [cncf-gb] TOC Election Results for GB Special Election

Tina Tsou

Congratulations at your new position @Zhang, Cathy H.

Best Regards,

Tina