Date

Re: TOC vote on Kubernetes

alexis richardson

All,

Please be patient on this.  Turns out that a few people had questions that I'm chasing down.  Update to come.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...> wrote:
Yes.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
To the TOC members,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Kubernetes as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Kubernetes into the CNCF. Google may now transfer copyright and trademarks(*) associated with Kubernetes to the Linux Foundation. Kubernetes is now an Incubated Project(**) at the CNCF. The TOC is working with the Kubernetes community to finalise the project governance model.”

(*) Sarah Novotny will provide a complete list of assets.  Our understanding is that a "yes" vote will lead to Google initiating the IP transfers to LF for the CNCF.
(**) The TOC will define "Incubated Project" asap

NOTE: This is a special process that we have introduced for Kubernetes as the first CNCF project. For later projects, we (the TOC) intend to use a more formal process.

If you have questions or comments, speak up!

draft agenda for next week TOC call

Draft agenda for next week's call.  Please let me know if there is anything I have missed.  I'll finalise slides next week.  This email also acts as a gentle reminder for the Workgroups.

---

Voting
* Progress towards final set of TOC members
* Update on k8s and CNCF (we should have voted by then)

Reporting
* Report from Bryan on Cluster (if any)

Eventing
* Kubecon update
* LF Summit update

Working
* CNCF - what's in it for new projects
* Proposals process
* Project development process

AOB

Re: TOC vote on Kubernetes

Gou Rao <grao@...>

Yes

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

alexis

Re: TOC vote on Kubernetes

alexis richardson

Just to be clear, the "TOC members" refers to members of the TOC, not members of the mailing list cncf-toc....!

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Gou Rao <grao@...> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Hindman

Yes

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

TOC -- please VOTE

alexis richardson

TOC Members

We are rerunning the Kubernetes vote following some amendments. We are looking for a unanimous YES across voting members of the TOC, in support of accepting Kubernetes into CNCF.  If we all vote YES then the aim is to be able to make the statement below ("Target:...").

Sarah

Please could you share the Kubernetes project's proposal for joining the CNCF, by posting the document (or a link) to this mailing list....?

alexis

**********

Target: CNCF announcement on Thursday 10th March at Kubecon

“On behalf of the CNCF TOC:

We have accepted Kubernetes into the Cloud Native Computing Foundation. While Kubernetes is the first project to be accepted, our intention is to welcome many open source projects into the foundation. Our remit is broad and we encourage applicants across the spectrum of cloud native, containers and microservices technology.

We now invite the Kubernetes community to work with the TOC to help shepherd the project through a formal transition to the foundation.  All CNCF projects will pass through the same process of Incubation(**).

The first step is that Google transfer copyright and trademarks(*) associated with Kubernetes to the Linux Foundation. When this is complete, the TOC will work with the Kubernetes community to finalise the project governance model.

In summary: we are pleased to announce that Kubernetes is now an Incubated Project(**) at the CNCF.”

(*) Sarah Novotny will provide a complete list of assets.  Our understanding is that a "yes" vote will lead to Google initiating the IP transfers to LF for the CNCF.
(**) A full and formal definition of "Incubation” and “Incubated Project” will be published by the CNCF TOC.

**********

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

Sarah Novotny <sarahnovotny@...>

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
TOC Members

We are rerunning the Kubernetes vote following some amendments. We are looking for a unanimous YES across voting members of the TOC, in support of accepting Kubernetes into CNCF.  If we all vote YES then the aim is to be able to make the statement below ("Target:...").

Sarah

Please could you share the Kubernetes project's proposal for joining the CNCF, by posting the document (or a link) to this mailing list....?

Here's a link to the proposal document.  If there's more information that any of you want, please feel free to reach out.

alexis

**********

[...]

thanks very much Sarah!

TOC voting members,

My vote is YES.

Over to you....

alexis

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Sarah Novotny <sarahnovotny@...> wrote:

[...]

Camille Fournier

Yes

On Mar 8, 2016 7:29 AM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

yes

Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> schrieb am Di., 8. März 2016 14:39:

[...]

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

YES

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Cisco Intercloud Services
kenowens@...
Phone: +1 408 424 0872
Mobile: +1 314 591 5708

Cisco.com

Think before you print. Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:

[...]

CEO, Eldarion, Inc
http://eldarion.com/

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

Brian Rosner

YES

Brian Rosner
Chief Architect
http://eldarion.com

Re: TOC -- question on Kubernetes/Cluster Manager

Carlos Alonso <calonso@...>

Given the statement in the proposal document below

  • Kubernetes will serve as a cluster manager for the CNCF ecosystem.

How does the cluster manager fit/maps the Schedule A: Initial CNCF Scope Vision block diagram? Or to the identified areas/sub-system functions defined in the Schedule A.   For example, does it just maps to the Distribute System Services?

Thx
Carlos

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Sarah Novotny via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

The assertion is just that Kubernetes is a cluster manager.  It is not assumed that it MUST play a specific role in everyone's architectures.

alexis

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Sarah Novotny via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

Yes!

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Carried!

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:51 Benjamin Hindman, <benh@...> wrote:
[...]

final draft agenda for TOC call tomorrow

alexis richardson

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

Chris Aniszczyk

yes +1 (non-binding vote)