Date

Re: Zoom

Camille Fournier

To be clear I dialed in but it was totally unclear how to unmute myself. I own a phone with a mute button perhaps there's a default setting we could fix to not default phone to mute

On Jun 20, 2017 11:58 AM, "Eduardo Silva" <eduardo@...> wrote:
actually there is phone-only option Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Zoom is cool but I need something phone-only that doesn't mute me in a fashion where I don't control it myself. Can we fix config default or move to something else?

Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

Re: Notary/TuF & GPG (& Harbor)

alexis richardson

That's good info.

Keen to learn more from the community about this use case and project!

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 18:05 Solomon Hykes, <solomon.hykes@...> wrote:
Notary has also been shipping to enterprise customers as part of Docker EE. Good to know Vmware has followed suit. If enterprise adoption is a point of evaluation we can put together a few case studies.

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017, Mark Peek via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Harbor is an open source enterprise registry built on top of Docker distribution. It adds enterprise features such as RBAC, LDAP/AD support, auditing, Notary, and other features (follow link below). While standalone, it is also being shipped with the vSphere Integrated Containers product.

https://github.com/vmware/harbor

My apologies if there was confusion on my Notary/Harbor comment on the call. The Notary team was asked about the number of github stars and/or the broader community. The point I was trying to make in support is since Notary is included into Harbor (with over 2k stars) and shipping to enterprise customers, the Notary project has more scope than just their own repo.

Mark

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: Patrick Chanezon <patrick.chanezon@...>
Subject: Notary/TuF & GPG (& Harbor)

Hi all

Thanks Patrick & Docker people for Notary pres.  I personally found it very useful & educational, having avoided package signing myself as much as possible ;-)

I would love to understand how a GPG person would make the case for sticking with just that.

I would love to hear more from Mark about Harbor as a broader use case for Notary.

alexis

Re: Notary/TuF & GPG (& Harbor)

Solomon Hykes

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM
To: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Cc: Patrick Chanezon <patrick.chanezon@...>

Hi all

Thanks Patrick & Docker people for Notary pres.  I personally found it very useful & educational, having avoided package signing myself as much as possible ;-)

I would love to understand how a GPG person would make the case for sticking with just that.

I would love to hear more from Mark about Harbor as a broader use case for Notary.

alexis

Re: Zoom

Richard Hartmann

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Camille Fournier via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Zoom is cool but I need something phone-only that doesn't mute me in a
fashion where I don't control it myself. Can we fix config default or move
to something else?
I called in over the German number. It kicked me out while blarring
gibberish first, but then allowed me to call in just fine. Other than
the one time I heard, well, blarring gibberish, and you couldn't hear
me, that was fine. The recording at the start told me to use *6 to
mute/unmute and I did that several times without issue.

All that being said, I would personally prefer something that runs
in-browser on Linux; Hangouts is quite nice in this regard. But
obviously, I am mainly sitting on the peanut gallery in this context.

Richard

Notary/TuF & GPG (& Harbor)

alexis richardson

Hi all

Thanks Patrick & Docker people for Notary pres.  I personally found it very useful & educational, having avoided package signing myself as much as possible ;-)

I would love to understand how a GPG person would make the case for sticking with just that.

I would love to hear more from Mark about Harbor as a broader use case for Notary.

alexis

Re: Zoom

Chris Aniszczyk

I'm not sure what the problem was Camille on your end but I'll investigate why you couldn't un mute yourself.

Thanks for your patience, we are still learning the ins and outs of Zoom.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:56 PM Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Zoom is cool but I need something phone-only that doesn't mute me in a fashion where I don't control it myself. Can we fix config default or move to something else?

http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

Re: Zoom

Eduardo Silva

actually there is phone-only option Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Camille Fournier via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Zoom is cool but I need something phone-only that doesn't mute me in a fashion where I don't control it myself. Can we fix config default or move to something else?

Eduardo Silva
Open Source, Treasure Data
http://www.treasuredata.com/opensource

Zoom

Camille Fournier

Zoom is cool but I need something phone-only that doesn't mute me in a fashion where I don't control it myself. Can we fix config default or move to something else?

Re: openmetrics next steps

Richard Hartmann

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Please talk to the GH project owner who has "openmetrics".
Those requests are proxied by GH these days, but I will try.

For help & next steps, you can follow up with Lee & Ken via email - ccd.
Will do.

You can find the Kubernetes Instrumentation SIG at
https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/sig-instrumentation
Fabian is listed as a lead and he's in on this effort as well. Still,
I will make them officially aware.

Richard

openmetrics next steps

alexis richardson

Richard

Thanks!

Please talk to the GH project owner who has "openmetrics".

For help & next steps, you can follow up with Lee & Ken via email - ccd.

You can find the Kubernetes Instrumentation SIG at https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/sig-instrumentation

TOC Agenda for 6/20/17

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the deck: https://goo.gl/moEKQp

Also as a reminder, we are trying out Zoom conferencing for TOC calls now, this is a better system IMHO and easier for our Chinese community too!

Time: June 20 800AM-900AM (Pacific)

https://zoom.us/j/263858603

Or Telephone:

   Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)

   +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)

   +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)

   Meeting ID: 263 858 603

   International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=ddKUsXGa2tGOHvCl4ccI0juqU7TZaCov

News from Kubernetes leadership summit

alexis richardson

CNCF community,

The Kubernetes project is at full tilt.

Please see below a summary of the recent Leadership Summit, a
gathering of mostly technical folk driving this project. Apologies if
some hyperlinks are missing - please refer to Brian's post @
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kubernetes-dev/PpgLgkffr3o

At the CNCF we want many such projects - all learning from each other.
Help make that happen: As you can see the project is breaking the
bounds of even modern tools and structures. There are many
opportunities to help - please speak up here, or contact the relevant
project leads.

alexis

From: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Date: 6/9/17 12:52 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: "Kenneth Owens (kenowens)" <kenowens@...>, cncf-toc@...
Cc: cncf-wg-serverless <cncf-wg-serverless@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Serverless Workgroup Kickoff

Thank you all for getting this off the ground.

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, 18:16 Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Just wanted to give everyone an update on the serverless workgroup. We had our initial meeting, agreed on the objective of documenting what Serverless means to Cloud Native, outlined a white/position paper, assigned ownership to the sections/topics, and defines a draft deliverable of July 6th.

If you’re interested in tracking the progress, joining, or getting involved, please check our Gitub page often, join the google group, or contact me directly.

https://github.com/cncf/wg-serverless

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

[...]

Re: rook.io

Bassam Tabbara <Bassam.Tabbara@...>

I understand that part ;)

Sorry I was thrown off by your “what does it do differently than Amazon” :-)

The part that I don't fully grok is what you mean by "storage".  Forgive my naive questions.

I mean block storage (raw block devices underneath pods comparable to AWS EBS), filesystems (shared POSIX compliant file systems comparable to AWS EFS), and Object Storage (comparable to AWS S3).

Re: rook.io

alexis richardson

Bassam

I understand that part ;)

The part that I don't fully grok is what you mean by "storage".  Forgive my naive questions.

Alexis

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, 23:18 Bassam Tabbara, <Bassam.Tabbara@...> wrote:
Camille, yes! :-)

The premise of Rook is to provide a cloud-native alternative to Amazon S3, EBS and EFS. These storage services can run directly inside the cloud native environment vs. vendor specific implementations outside it. By running them inside the cluster it enables us to to integrate them more deeply (scheduling, security, management, etc.) and enables multi-cloud and federation.

This is similar to the relationship between Istio/Envoy and Amazon ELB, Prometheus and Amazon CloudWatch, etc.

Alexis, I know you were having audio issues, I’d be happy to repeat the talk this morning if you’d like.

On Jun 6, 2017, at 3:01 PM, Camille Fournier <skamille@...> wrote:

Presumably providing an abstraction layer that can front Amazon, Google, and internal cloud offerings. For those of us who need such a thing.

On Jun 6, 2017 5:55 PM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I don't understand what you are doing which is better than what Amazon can do alone.

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, 22:50 Bassam Tabbara, <Bassam.Tabbara@...> wrote:
Do you mean EBS? For S3 which has 11 9’s (over a year) of durability you’d need 10s of Rook storage nodes spread across three availability zones.

For block storage, i.e. the use case in the original thread, you can make do with a smaller number of nodes. You can run with two, but I would recommend you deploy more.

On Jun 6, 2017, at 2:43 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

So you need a pair of rook nodes to be more reliable than S3?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, 22:27 Bassam Tabbara, <Bassam.Tabbara@...> wrote:
Definitely. You would need to have a sizable cluster before you can reach high availability and durability numbers like S3.

However, EBS volumes supposedly have an annual failure rate of 0.1-0.2%, and are rumored to run on a pair of servers for each volume.

On Jun 6, 2017, at 2:22 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Ok so in the single node case you are less reliable than S3?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, 22:15 Bassam Tabbara, <Bassam.Tabbara@...> wrote:
No. There are no writes to S3 at all, and that would slow down write significantly.

If you’re concerned about DR then you can take a crash-consistent snapshot of the volume(s) and send that off to S3, just as with EBS snapshots.

On Jun 6, 2017, at 2:13 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Does the first storage node write to S3 before or after pushing updates to the other nodes

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, 22:10 Bassam Tabbara, <Bassam.Tabbara@...> wrote:
Sure. Assuming a pod running in K8S has already mounted a Rook volume the main flow is:

- writes to the volume (say /dev/rbd0) go through the kernel module and then out on the network
- one of the storage nodes receives the data and replicates it to 2-3 other storage nodes (in parallel) in the same pool backing the volume
- once the other replicas acknowledge the write the primary storage node completes the write operation.

Note there is no distinction between local and remote writes in this flow, they all result in network traffic due to replication. Its possible that one of the storage nodes is colocated with the client initiating the write, but thats inconsequential.

On Jun 6, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:

Please can you talk through the interaction flow for a local plus remote disk write on AWS, assuming the write is initiated by a process associated with a container cluster (eg k8s).

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, 21:39 Bassam Tabbara, <Bassam.Tabbara@...> wrote:
The most severe failure cases are ones that could lead to permanent data loss. There are a few, but first some background:

- Volumes are backed by virtual storage pools.
- Virtual pools are made up of a number of storage nodes that work together to ensure that data is stored reliably
- A pool can be configured to store replicas of data (typically 3x) or erasure coded chunks (different algorithms and factors are supported).
- when a storage node is lost the others help re-replicate the data (i.e. data maintenance).

Now the failure cases:

- if too many nodes in the same pool are lost within a short window of time you’ll suffer data loss, for example, all three nodes in a 3x replica are lost at the same time.
- if there are not enough resources to replicate/regenerate the data before more losses occur.

To guard against such failures, most systems (including Rook) do the following:

- storage nodes are spread across failure domains (different hosts, racks, zones etc.)
- prioritize resources for “data maintenance” over resources used for “normal" data operations.

In the context of running Rook in AWS, this means ensuring that the Rook storage pods are spread across the nodes in the cluster and across availability zones. Also ensuring that you’ve sized the machines and network to support data maintenance. Prioritization schemes also help, for example, SRV-IO is a popular way to do so without massive changes to the network.

Finally, this is a good example of why building a control plane that can automate such decisions/tradeoffs helps ensure success with storage.