From: cncf-toc-bounces@... [mailto:cncf-toc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 6:35 PM
To: Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>
Cc: cncf-toc@...
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Serverless WG formation

I'll organize a read out to the TOC in 1-2 months based on the WG's progress.

I'd still follow this doc: https://goo.gl/DRGHMo and we'll work on scheduling the first official meeting over the next couple of weeks.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or agreement.

Thanks,

Ken

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

Re: Away next week

alexis richardson

Argh please ignore me

On Mon, 22 May 2017, 17:43 Alexis Richardson, <alexis@...> wrote:
Hi all, I'm away for next week's TOC and so would love Chris or Ken to chair

Away next week

alexis richardson

Hi all, I'm away for next week's TOC and so would love Chris or Ken to chair

Re: Serverless WG formation

jason smith

Hi Ken,

I work closely with Pini at Container Solutions and I would like to be involved in the Working Group.

--
Jason Smith
Senior Developer

Re: Serverless WG formation

[...]

Re: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup

weiyuan.yl

Please add me as well. Thanks

在 2017年5月22日,上午5:07,Doug Davis via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> 写道:

Can I get an invite too please. I opened a PR to get added but wasn't sure if that was an old way of signing up.

<graycol.gif>Meenakshi Kaushik via cncf-toc ---05/01/2017 08:50:44 AM---Please add me as well. Thanks,

From: Meenakshi Kaushik via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 05/01/2017 08:50 AM
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

Please add me as well.

Meenakshi

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Ghe Rivero via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date:
Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM
Cc:
Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup

I will also need one. Thanks a lot!

Ghe Rivero

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:40 PM, Quinton Hoole via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Me too please.

Best regards

易立
Yi, Li (Mark)

Re: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup

Alex Baretto

Please add me as well: axbaretto@...

From: Meenakshi Kaushik via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 05/01/2017 08:50 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

Please add me as well.

Meenakshi

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@....io> on behalf of Ghe Rivero via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date:
Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM
Cc:

Doug Davis <dug@...>

From: Meenakshi Kaushik via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: cncf-toc@...
Date: 05/01/2017 08:50 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

Please add me as well.

Meenakshi

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Ghe Rivero via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date:
Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM
Cc:
Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Re: [cncf-toc] Fwd: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup

I will also need one. Thanks a lot!

Ghe Rivero

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:40 PM, Quinton Hoole via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Me too please.

Serverless WG formation

Dylan Stamat <dylan@...>

+1!  Iron.io (IronFunctions) would love to be involved:

CNCF & BV Panel & Reception, Monday, May 22, 4:30 to 7:30 PM

Dan Kohn <dan@...>

Please join me Monday afternoon!

 Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 12.02.08 PM.png

Open Source Software Fuels Explosive Growth and Startup

Join ​Cloud ​Native ​Computing ​Foundation ​and ​Battery ​Ventures ​​for ​​an ​​interactive ​​discussion ​moderated ​by ​Dharmesh ​Thakker, ​General ​Partner ​at ​Battery ​Ventures, ​​on ​​the ​​explosive ​​growth ​​and ​​adoption ​​of ​​open ​​source ​​software, like Kubernetes, ​​with ​​some ​​of ​​the ​​most ​​respected ​​developers, ​​founders ​​and ​​investors ​​in ​​our ​​industry.

Panel Featuring:

Priyanka Sharma, OpenTracing

Janet Kuo, Kubernetes

Andy Randall, Tigera

Evan Kaplan, InfluxDB

Monday, May 22

4:30-5:00 Check In

5:00-5:15 Opening Remarks by Jim Zemlin

5:15-7:00 Lightning Talk and Panel

7:00-7:30 Networking, Cocktails & Appetizers

Nitro Software

225 Bush St

San Francisco, California 94104

MUST RSVP

Click Here to Register for this Event

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@...>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation <https://cncf.io/>

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Dustin Kirkland <dustin.kirkland@...>

+1 (non binding)

On May 18, 2017 00:51, "Camille Fournier via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

+1

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of "Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM
To: "'cncf-toc@...'" <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Serverless WG formation

Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or agreement.

Thanks,

Ken

anner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

Re: Serverless WG formation

Yaron Haviv

Ken,

I would join for iguazio, we have high-perf “serverless” framework for internal use and will soon open-source it

Seems like there is a consensus that serverless function portability and common events & context models are important, I summarized the current state, requirements, and points raised by the team in the following doc, feel free to comment

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hPtq6h_Uh81anteboe38gJQxCERadokpjhAQkuYFr6Q/edit?usp=sharing

Yaron

Iguazio, CTO

Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or agreement.

Thanks,

Ken

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:09 AM, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On 15 May 2017 at 18:43, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: prior docs about vitess

alexis richardson

thanks Sugu - that is helpful.

If we are going to ask Kyle if he could 'do a jepsen', it would be
very good to understand which consistency choices should be tested.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Sugu Sougoumarane <sougou@...> wrote:
Vitess offers different transaction modes and isolation levels as described
here: http://vitess.io/user-guide/twopc.html#isolation.

The choice depends on what an application can tolerate. In case of the
current Vitess community, users have rarely requested 2pc. They are usually
satisfied with single-shard ACID transactions. The few that have requested
2PC are satisfied with the default isolation trade-offs.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
wrote:

This transition: X --> scalable X, suggests we are seeing parallel
evolutions of each category X. If so then we can ask what properties
of X are preserved. Atomicity and durability only?

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Brian Grant <briangrant@...>
wrote:
Again, the main value as I see it is that Vitess facilitates a
transition
from MySQL to a more scalable implementation (scalable enough for
Youtube),
without taking so big a leap as NoSQL. Sugu confirmed that Vitess is
getting
interest from MySQL users.

I could imagine also trying to find projects covering other categories,
such
as object storage and some flavor(s) of NoSQL.

I view filesystems as a different category than these application-level
storage systems.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The main doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p7gqlpQNJpZtsolHeX6vXR4NXXwGrCMsCz8rSi5jsBA/edit#heading=h.d6b07oufwoag

The original presentation a few weeks ago:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1hvTin7ui_p_klCM9F88vBoFU_5K4Ax6KlnYIZR5jAgs/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

+1

On 15 May 2017 at 18:43, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: Serverless WG formation

Tim Uckun <timuckun@...>

I would like to participate.

Thanks.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Cathy Zhang via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

I will participate for Huawei and actively contribute to this effort. As I presented today,

my key interest is consistent and portable user-facing configuration (event, function, event-function interaction/relationship)

for its serverless workflow requirement .

Thanks,

Cathy

Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or agreement.

Thanks,

Ken

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

Re: Serverless WG formation

Harry Zhang <harryz@...>

+1 This is great!

Hyper.sh also built hyper func fully based on Kubernetes, and cooperating with IBM Whisk. Hope to be involved in the new WG!

---

Harry