Date

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Thangavelu, Kapil

+1 (non-binding)

From: cncf-toc-bounces@... <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 12:43:55 PM
To: CNCF TOC
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Ihor Dvoretskyi

+1 (non-binding).

On May 16, 2017 9:44 PM, "Benjamin Hindman via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1!

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Designing Data-Intensive Applications eBook

Re: prior docs about vitess

alexis richardson

This transition: X --> scalable X, suggests we are seeing parallel
evolutions of each category X. If so then we can ask what properties
of X are preserved. Atomicity and durability only?

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Brian Grant <briangrant@...> wrote:
Again, the main value as I see it is that Vitess facilitates a transition
from MySQL to a more scalable implementation (scalable enough for Youtube),
without taking so big a leap as NoSQL. Sugu confirmed that Vitess is getting
interest from MySQL users.

I could imagine also trying to find projects covering other categories, such
as object storage and some flavor(s) of NoSQL.

I view filesystems as a different category than these application-level
storage systems.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The main doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p7gqlpQNJpZtsolHeX6vXR4NXXwGrCMsCz8rSi5jsBA/edit#heading=h.d6b07oufwoag

The original presentation a few weeks ago:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1hvTin7ui_p_klCM9F88vBoFU_5K4Ax6KlnYIZR5jAgs/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Re: prior docs about vitess

Brian Grant

[...]

Re: Serverless WG formation

Chris Aniszczyk

a +1 here is sufficient for now Justin if you support the WG creation, here are the concrete goals for the proposed serverless WG atm:
  • Provide clarity for ourselves and consumers w.r.t. what this topic is all about:
    • Define common terminology
    • Define the scope of the space as it exists today - over time this may change
    • Identify common use cases and patterns between existing implementations
  • Identify potential next steps for the community (may or may not happen within CNCF):
    • Identifying areas where we’d like to see some harmonization or interop work
  • Create a white/position-paper on Serverless in relation to Cloud Native.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Justin Garrison via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
I agree this would be a useful group in the cncf but also have concerns discussed in earlier calls about being too early on trying to standardize a solution and possibly limit an evolving technology too soon.

Is there a google group I can subscribe to or should I just +1 here?

--
Justin Garrison
justingarrison.com

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Doug Davis via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
As I mentioned on the call, IBM as a key participant in Open Whisk will be there.

-Doug

Sent from my iPhone

On May 16, 2017, at 5:42 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Ken

Can you solicit some oss projects to get involved?  Is that doable?  Please let us know!

On Tue, 16 May 2017, 17:32 Antonio Gulli via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
thanks Ken,
I'd like to  participate as well for Google Cloud Function, with a particular interest for portable container environment, standard events, etc
Cheers
//A

Thanks Ken,
Chiming in for Fission.io -- I'd like to participate too, and we're
especially interested in function portability across different serverless
platforms, and standardization around event formats etc.

-Soam

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <
cncf-toc@...> wrote:

> Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I
> agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but
> many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or
> agreement.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ken
>

> [image: banner2]
>

> *Kenneth Owens*
>
> CTO
>
> kenowens@...
>
> Tel: *+1 408 424 0872 <(408)%20424-0872>*
>
> *Cisco Systems, Inc.*

> 16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
> CHESTERFIELD
> 63017
> United States
> cisco.com
>

> [image: http://www.cisco.com/assets/swa/img/thinkbeforeyouprint.gif]Think
> before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
> authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
> reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>
> Please click here

> Company Registration Information.

Antonio Gulli | Site Lead && Eng. Director | gulli@...

Re: Serverless WG formation

Justin Garrison <justinleegarrison@...>

Doug Davis <dug@...>

cncf-toc@...> wrote:

> Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I
> agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but
> many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or
> agreement.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ken
>

> [image: banner2]
>

> *Kenneth Owens*
>
> CTO
>
> kenowens@...
>
> Tel: *+1 408 424 0872 <(408)%20424-0872>*
>
> *Cisco Systems, Inc.*

> 16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
> CHESTERFIELD
> 63017
> United States
> cisco.com
>

> [image: http://www.cisco.com/assets/swa/img/thinkbeforeyouprint.gif]Think
> before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
> authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
> reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>
> Please click here

> Company Registration Information.

Antonio Gulli | Site Lead && Eng. Director | gulli@...

Re: Serverless WG formation

Ying Huang

Hi Ken,

Very interested! Please add me in.

Thanks,

Ying

cncf-toc@...> wrote:

> Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I
> agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but
> many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or
> agreement.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ken
>

> [image: banner2]
>

> *Kenneth Owens*
>
> CTO
>
> kenowens@...
>
> Tel: *+1 408 424 0872 <(408)%20424-0872>*
>
> *Cisco Systems, Inc.*

> 16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
> CHESTERFIELD
> 63017
> United States
> cisco.com
>

> [image: http://www.cisco.com/assets/swa/img/thinkbeforeyouprint.gif]Think
> before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
> authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
> reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>
> Please click here

> Company Registration Information.

Antonio Gulli | Site Lead && Eng. Director | gulli@...

Sebastien Goasguen

Senior Director of Cloud Technologies, Bitnami

+41 79 367 38 25

@sebgoa

Run your favorite apps in the cloud with http://bitnami.com/cloud

Confidential - All Rights Reserved.

BitRock © 2017

Re: Serverless WG formation

Sebastien Goasguen <sebgoa@...>

cncf-toc@...> wrote:

> Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I
> agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but
> many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or
> agreement.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ken
>

> [image: banner2]
>

> *Kenneth Owens*
>
> CTO
>
> kenowens@...
>
> Tel: *+1 408 424 0872 <(408)%20424-0872>*
>
> *Cisco Systems, Inc.*

> 16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
> CHESTERFIELD
> 63017
> United States
> cisco.com
>

> [image: http://www.cisco.com/assets/swa/img/thinkbeforeyouprint.gif]Think
> before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
> authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
> reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>
> Please click here

> Company Registration Information.

Antonio Gulli | Site Lead && Eng. Director | gulli@...

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Jong Choi

Jong Choi
VP, NCSOFT

_____________________________

Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc ---05/15/2017 12:44:09 PM---The TOC has decided to invite CNI (https://github.com/containernetworking/) as an incubation level C

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 05/15/2017 12:44 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719_______________________________________________

-- Randy AbernethyManaging PartnerRX-M, LLCrandy.abernethy@...o 415-800-2922c 415-624-6447
+31 652134960
Marketing Chair www.cncf.io

Re: Serverless WG formation

Antonio Gulli

cncf-toc@...> wrote:

> Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I
> agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but
> many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or
> agreement.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ken
>

> [image: banner2]
>

> *Kenneth Owens*
>
> CTO
>
> kenowens@...
>
> Tel: *+1 408 424 0872 <(408)%20424-0872>*
>
> *Cisco Systems, Inc.*
>
> 16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
> CHESTERFIELD
> 63017
> United States
> cisco.com
>

> [image: http://www.cisco.com/assets/swa/img/thinkbeforeyouprint.gif]Think
> before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
> authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
> reply email and delete all copies of this message.
>
> Please click here
> <http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html> for
> Company Registration Information.

Antonio Gulli | Site Lead && Eng. Director | gulli@...

Re: Serverless WG formation

Soam Vasani

Thanks Ken,
Chiming in for Fission.io -- I'd like to participate too, and we're especially interested in function portability across different serverless platforms, and standardization around event formats etc.

-Soam

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or agreement.

Thanks,

Ken

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

Re: Serverless WG formation

Lee Calcote

I agree and will participate.

As an aside, I consider our definition of "Cloud Native” being container-packaged, too limiting.

- Lee

On May 16, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Today on the TOC call we discussed starting a Serverless workgroup and I agreed to chair said workgroup. There was no disagreement on the call but many TOC members were not present. Please respond with concerns or agreement.

Thanks,

Ken

<image001.png>

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Tel: +1 408 424 0872
Cisco Systems, Inc.
16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

<image002.gif>Think before you print.
Please click here for Company Registration Information.

Serverless WG formation

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

Mark Coleman <mark@...>

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 05/15/2017 12:44 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

[...]

Re: Vitess follow up

alexis richardson

Sugu

Please see here for Jepsen and (f.ex) CockroachDB

https://jepsen.io/analyses/cockroachdb-beta-20160829

alexis

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Chris Aniszczyk
<caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Once you're an official CNCF project, most of these benefits are included so
it's not an issue :)

The next step would be to finalize the TOC sponsor (Brian), potentially
sketch out a proposal (you can find examples one here:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/tree/master/proposals) and on the next CNCF TOC
call, have the TOC discuss whether to formally invite the project for a
proposal per request of the TOC sponsor (Brian).

I'll respond to your specific points below:

- Help with marketing & PR. This is one area we're severely lacking.

We take care of this for projects and I think it's one of the most valuable
things we provide for CNCF projects (also conference space etc). We list
most of the benefits on this page: https://www.cncf.io/projects/

- Advocacy through the ambassador program.

Not a problem either: https://www.cncf.io/about/ambassadors/

- Take over funding (and ownership) of vitess.io, vitess.slack.io, github
repository, travis builds, and other CI & CD resources.

In terms of financial and neutral ownership, not a problem either.

- Help with setting up governance.

This we can help with if projects request it. For example, we are currently
working with the Prometheus team to finalize their governance and more than
willing to help if projects request it.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
wrote:

That's a great list.

Chris, what are your thoughts?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 02:48 Sugu Sougoumarane, <sougou@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,

Here are areas where we'd love to get help for Vitess:

- Help with marketing & PR. This is one area we're severely lacking.
- Advocacy through the ambassador program.
- Take over funding (and ownership) of vitess.io, vitess.slack.io, github
repository, travis builds, and other CI & CD resources.
- Help with setting up governance.

I'm still working on the product comparison (distracted by the Percona
conference). I'll try to get that done by next week.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
wrote:

Sugu

Thank-you. Those are good reasons! Are there specific places where
you'd like help winning or keeping more contributors?

Look forward to your view on systems & tradeoffs. Can I humbly ask
that you include Cockroach, Rethink & Goshawk? Maybe others.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Sugu Sougoumarane via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi Chris, Alexis,

For the license, we already intend to change it to ALv2:
https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2694.

For the comparison of various systems and trade-offs, we'll try to put
something together in the next few days.

As for why we're excited about wanting to join CNCF, I think this
issue
describes it well: https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2670.

PS: Thanks for the adopters suggestion on github. I'll work on that,
and
also see if we can feature them on vitess.io.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Also in terms of process, I believe Brian Grant on today's call has
expressed interest in sponsoring the project from the TOC. I'd
suggest at a
following or next TOC meeting to decide whether the TOC desires to
formally
invite the project.

Another thing to bring up is that Vitess is currently under the BSD-3
license (https://github.com/youtube/vitess/blob/master/LICENSE),
which isn't
a major issue, but we will have to decide what approach to take (move
ALv2 or go for an exception) if they become a project.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Sugu

Thank you again for your pres today.

What would *help Vitess the most* from a project advancement & end
user
POV? How can CNCF help?

prior docs about vitess

alexis richardson

[...]