Date

Re: Vitess follow up

alexis richardson

Sugu

Please see here for Jepsen and (f.ex) CockroachDB

https://jepsen.io/analyses/cockroachdb-beta-20160829

alexis

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Chris Aniszczyk
<caniszczyk@...> wrote:
Once you're an official CNCF project, most of these benefits are included so
it's not an issue :)

The next step would be to finalize the TOC sponsor (Brian), potentially
sketch out a proposal (you can find examples one here:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/tree/master/proposals) and on the next CNCF TOC
call, have the TOC discuss whether to formally invite the project for a
proposal per request of the TOC sponsor (Brian).

I'll respond to your specific points below:

- Help with marketing & PR. This is one area we're severely lacking.

We take care of this for projects and I think it's one of the most valuable
things we provide for CNCF projects (also conference space etc). We list
most of the benefits on this page: https://www.cncf.io/projects/

- Advocacy through the ambassador program.

Not a problem either: https://www.cncf.io/about/ambassadors/

- Take over funding (and ownership) of vitess.io, vitess.slack.io, github
repository, travis builds, and other CI & CD resources.

In terms of financial and neutral ownership, not a problem either.

- Help with setting up governance.

This we can help with if projects request it. For example, we are currently
working with the Prometheus team to finalize their governance and more than
willing to help if projects request it.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
wrote:

That's a great list.

Chris, what are your thoughts?

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 02:48 Sugu Sougoumarane, <sougou@...> wrote:

Hi Alexis,

Here are areas where we'd love to get help for Vitess:

- Help with marketing & PR. This is one area we're severely lacking.
- Advocacy through the ambassador program.
- Take over funding (and ownership) of vitess.io, vitess.slack.io, github
repository, travis builds, and other CI & CD resources.
- Help with setting up governance.

I'm still working on the product comparison (distracted by the Percona
conference). I'll try to get that done by next week.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
wrote:

Sugu

Thank-you. Those are good reasons! Are there specific places where
you'd like help winning or keeping more contributors?

Look forward to your view on systems & tradeoffs. Can I humbly ask
that you include Cockroach, Rethink & Goshawk? Maybe others.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Sugu Sougoumarane via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hi Chris, Alexis,

For the license, we already intend to change it to ALv2:
https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2694.

For the comparison of various systems and trade-offs, we'll try to put
something together in the next few days.

As for why we're excited about wanting to join CNCF, I think this
issue
describes it well: https://github.com/youtube/vitess/issues/2670.

PS: Thanks for the adopters suggestion on github. I'll work on that,
and
also see if we can feature them on vitess.io.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Also in terms of process, I believe Brian Grant on today's call has
expressed interest in sponsoring the project from the TOC. I'd
suggest at a
following or next TOC meeting to decide whether the TOC desires to
formally
invite the project.

Another thing to bring up is that Vitess is currently under the BSD-3
license (https://github.com/youtube/vitess/blob/master/LICENSE),
which isn't
a major issue, but we will have to decide what approach to take (move
ALv2 or go for an exception) if they become a project.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

Sugu

Thank you again for your pres today.

What would *help Vitess the most* from a project advancement & end
user
POV? How can CNCF help?

prior docs about vitess

alexis richardson

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Randy Abernethy

+1 non binding

Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc ---05/15/2017 12:44:09 PM---The TOC has decided to invite CNI (https://github.com/containernetworking/) as an incubation level C

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 05/15/2017 12:44 PM
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719_______________________________________________

Randy Abernethy
Managing Partner
RX-M, LLC
randy.abernethy@...
o 415-800-2922
c 415-624-6447

FYI: Agenda CNCF TOC Meeting: 5/16/2017

Chris Aniszczyk

Here's the deck for today: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SHfBDI3YeyCTJ3ZrGoc0S4EmfHsUVW2jMmXmcYQe96E/edit#slide=id.gd5ae4e962_2_136

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Duncan Johnston Watt <duncan.johnstonwatt@...>

+1 (Non-binding)

On 15 May 2017 at 17:43, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Duncan Johnston-Watt

Founder & Chief Executive Officer

Phone: +44 777 190 2653 | Skype: duncan_johnstonwatt

Twitter: @duncanjw | LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/duncanjohnstonwatt

Cloudsoft Logo.jpg

Stay up to date with everything Cloudsoft:

Twitter_Logo_White_On_Blue.png YouTube-social-icon_red_48px.png

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

John Belamaric

+1 non-binding

On May 15, 2017, at 9:43 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Bernstein, Joshua <Joshua.Bernstein@...>

+1

-Josh

<graycol.gif>Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc ---05/15/2017 12:44:09 PM---The TOC has decided to invite CNI (https://github.com/containernetworking/) as an incubation level C

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 05/15/2017 12:44 PM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719_______________________________________________

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

On Mon, 15 May 2017, 20:40 Lee Calcote via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On May 15, 2017, at 11:43 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

[...]

Solomon Hykes

+1

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

otto hillenbrand <otto@...>

+1

Otto Hillenbrand

SVP Sales/Operations

Galactic Fog

201-723-2635

Follow me on  Twitter

Connect with me on  LinkedIn

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

+1

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Mark Peek

+1 (non binding)

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Robert Lalonde via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Monday, May 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM
To: Kenneth Owens <kenowens@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

+1   (non binding)

On May 15, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

+1

<image001.png>

Kenneth Owens

CTO

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

<image002.gif>Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Re: [VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

Rob Lalonde

+1   (non binding)

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

[...]

Andrew Randall

Non-binding +1

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:44 AM Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

Andrew Randall
CEO
Tigera, Inc.
510-520-0999

[VOTE] CNI project proposal (incubation)

The CNI (Container Network Interface) project consists of a specification and libraries for writing plugins to configure network interfaces in Linux containers, along with a number of supported plugins. CNI concerns itself only with network connectivity of containers and removing allocated resources when the container is deleted. Because of this focus, CNI has a wide range of support (from Kubernetes, rkt, Mesos and more) and the specification is simple to implement (https://github.com/containernetworking/cni/blob/master/SPEC.md)

Please vote (+1/0/-1) on the full project proposal located here on GitHub:

PRE-DRAFT: CNCF TOC Goals and Operating Principles

alexis richardson

Hi

Out of a desire to start writing down more how CNCF works, and what
our principles are, Brian, Ken and I pulled some ideas into a doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yl3IPpZnEWJRaXSBsTQ22ymQF57N5x_nHVHvmJdAj9Y/edit

Comments are solicited.

Please don't be too harsh - this is just the first iteration.

alexis

k8s SIG diagram

Chris Aniszczyk

I thought this diagram from Brian is worth sharing with the wider CNCF community:

http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

Re: [Update] CNCF Networking Workgroup

waterman