Date

Meeting Minutes from 3/16/2016

Chris Aniszczyk

Here are the slides/notes from the 3/16/2016 meeting:

agenda for tomorrow's CNCF TOC

alexis richardson

Scala has a thing now

alexis richardson

Not a foundation as such but worth being aware of.

Announcing the "End User" representative for the TOC

alexis richardson

All,

I am very pleased to announce that we have a new member of the TOC!

Please welcome Elissa Murphy, who is CTO and EVP Cloud Platform at GoDaddy.

Elissa is taking the TOC seat that has been reserved for a representative of the Technical Advisory Board (TAB), which exists to create a platform for "End Users" in the CNCF.  In case you are wondering "what is an end user?" -- this basically means "not a software vendor".  Companies like eBay, Goldman Sachs, and GoDaddy are all examples.

Please note that this seat is an *interim* position.  The end user TAB is still being formed, and this will take a little while.  After that has been done, the TAB may wish to nominate a new representative, or confirm Elissa for the full duration.

alexis

Re: final draft agenda for TOC call tomorrow

Patrick Reilly <patrick@...>

Thanks Bryan.

— Patrick

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Bryan Cantrill via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

FWIW, video from the CNCF panel at Container Summit:

http://www.containersummit.io/events/nyc-2016/videos/join-the-container-revolution-cncf

Good luck at KubeCon!

- Bryan

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Rfk35Zw1-ZvdSYLoCgiR6OqqQsB8Vt4CwTJ41LMw7kk/edit#slide=id.g118c2199ab_0_44

comments welcome

Re: final draft agenda for TOC call tomorrow

Bryan Cantrill <bryan@...>

FWIW, video from the CNCF panel at Container Summit:

Good luck at KubeCon!

        - Bryan

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

[RESULT] Kubernetes Vote by TOC

alexis richardson

All,

Here are the results from this week's vote re accepting Kubernetes project proposal into the CNCF, towards supporting the statement below.  The Kubernetes proposal is here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AgoEf4Wdshcn2ttlGRVQLciLJe6liV_ZiGocRg9JxJE/edit#

TOC votes:
+1 Ben Hindman
+1 Bryan Cantrill
+1 Camille Fournier
+1 Jonathan Boulle
+1 Kenneth Owens
+1 Alexis Richardson

The motion to accept Kubernetes into CNCF was carried unanimously by the binding votes of the TOC.  In addition several members of the CNCF community emailed to support the motion.

Thank-you,

alexis

**********

Target: CNCF announcement on Thursday 10th March at Kubecon

“On behalf of the CNCF TOC:

We have accepted Kubernetes into the Cloud Native Computing Foundation. While Kubernetes is the first project to be accepted, our intention is to welcome many open source projects into the foundation. Our remit is broad and we encourage applicants across the spectrum of cloud native, containers and microservices technology.

We now invite the Kubernetes community to work with the TOC to help shepherd the project through a formal transition to the foundation.  All CNCF projects will pass through the same process of Incubation(**).

The first step is that Google transfer copyright and trademarks(*) associated with Kubernetes to the Linux Foundation. When this is complete, the TOC will work with the Kubernetes community to finalise the project governance model.

In summary: we are pleased to announce that Kubernetes is now an Incubated Project(**) at the CNCF.”

(*) Sarah Novotny will provide a complete list of assets.  Our understanding is that a "yes" vote will lead to Google initiating the IP transfers to LF for the CNCF.
(**) A full and formal definition of "Incubation” and “Incubated Project” will be published by the CNCF TOC.

**********

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

Chris Aniszczyk

yes +1 (non-binding vote)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:19 AM, Sarah Novotny via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
TOC Members

We are rerunning the Kubernetes vote following some amendments. We are looking for a unanimous YES across voting members of the TOC, in support of accepting Kubernetes into CNCF.  If we all vote YES then the aim is to be able to make the statement below ("Target:...").

Sarah

Please could you share the Kubernetes project's proposal for joining the CNCF, by posting the document (or a link) to this mailing list....?

Here's a link to the proposal document.  If there's more information that any of you want, please feel free to reach out.

alexis

**********

[...]

Carried!

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:51 Benjamin Hindman, <benh@...> wrote:
Yes.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Hindman
Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

Benjamin Hindman

[...]

Yes!

On Mar 8, 2016 4:29 AM, "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc" <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
thanks very much Sarah!

TOC voting members,

My vote is YES.

Over to you....

alexis

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Sarah Novotny <sarahnovotny@...> wrote:

[...]

Re: TOC -- question on Kubernetes/Cluster Manager

alexis richardson

Carlos

The assertion is just that Kubernetes is a cluster manager.  It is not assumed that it MUST play a specific role in everyone's architectures.

alexis

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Carlos Alonso <calonso@...> wrote:

Given the statement in the proposal document below

  • Kubernetes will serve as a cluster manager for the CNCF ecosystem.

How does the cluster manager fit/maps the Schedule A: Initial CNCF Scope Vision block diagram? Or to the identified areas/sub-system functions defined in the Schedule A.   For example, does it just maps to the Distribute System Services?

Thx
Carlos

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Sarah Novotny via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] TOC -- please VOTE

Carlos Alonso <calonso@...>

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Sarah Novotny via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

[...]

Brian Rosner

YES

Brian Rosner
Chief Architect
http://eldarion.com

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

James Tauber

YES

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Kenneth Owens (kenowens) via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

YES

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Cisco Intercloud Services
kenowens@...
Phone: +1 408 424 0872
Mobile: +1 314 591 5708

Cisco.com

Think before you print. Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:

[...]

CEO, Eldarion, Inc
http://eldarion.com/

Re: TOC -- please VOTE

[...]

[...]

[...]