Date

Interim CNCF CoCC and New structure of WG for CoCC update

Davanum Srinivas

Folks,

Please see the 2 blog posts that went public just now, Many thanks to all the folks who helped shape both the Interim CoCC structure (for the short term) and the shape of the new WG for CoCC updates (for the longer term)

Blog post #1 : This one talks about who is in the Interim CoCC (including alternates/policies) - https://www.cncf.io/blog/2022/06/23/cncfs-interim-cncf-code-of-conduct-committee-has-launched/

Blog post #2 : We had earlier published a blog post on June 6th and we got a lot of feedback from our overall community, so we incorporated the feedback to be more open/inclusive, this WG will help draft what/how of the CoCC in the longer term - https://www.cncf.io/blog/2022/06/23/new-structure-for-cncf-code-of-conduct-update-project/

We welcome feedback on both from everyone for sure (possibly cncf-toc mailing list would be a good place to have our public back-and-forth as needed). But feel free to reach out publicly or privately to folks involved.

Thanks,
CNCF TOC Chair and CNCF GB Chair

PS: I am posting this as Arun is on a plane! Bon voyage Arun.
PPS: apologies for posting to a mix of public and private lists!

Re: Policy question: What happens when projects merge?

Nick Young

Thanks Richard, I'll catch up with Alolita and talk about OTel some more.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice, very much appreciated.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 at 22:26, Richard Hartmann <richih@...> wrote:
Do you still need intros? If yes, I can introduce you to Alolita who was instrumental on OTel side.

Sent by mobile; please excuse my brevity.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022, 20:02 Nick Young <inocuo@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone for the reminders about OpenTracing and OpenTelemetry, I had completely forgotten about that merge! I'd definitely be interested in hearing more from anyone involved in that either here, or via direct email or Slack DM if you want to talk about it.

Thanks for the response as well Dims, I'm glad we agree on the path forward.

Very interested to hear if anyone else has differing opinions still though!

Nick

The OpenTracing and OpenCensus communities seem to have blazed the way here with OpenTelemetry -- I don't know if they have any learnings that they'd want to share about what worked well, or what could have been done better.

From: Gupta, Arun <arun.gupta@...>
Date: Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [cncf-gb] Formation of CNCF CoC Update Working Group
To: cncf-gb <cncf-gb@...>
Cc: Taylor Waggoner <twaggoner@...>

To members of the CNCF Governing Board:

We have received a lot of feedback on the proposed Working Group structure. We are taking that into consideration to ensure that there is diversity and inclusion of people and opinions. We appreciate your patience while this is being worked upon. Please stay tuned.

Arun

From: cncf-gb@... <cncf-gb@...> on behalf of Gupta, Arun <arun.gupta@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 2:33 PM
To: cncf-gb <cncf-gb@...>
Cc: Taylor Waggoner <twaggoner@...>

To members of the CNCF Governing Board:

There has been some confusion regarding eligibility to serve as a representative on the Code of Conduct Working Group, so we’re sharing additional details to clarify.  Please see the updated composition list below with clarifications highlighted:

  • Any active Incubating + Graduated Maintainer who wishes to volunteer
  • 1-2 representatives from the Governing Board - must be a primary member, not an alternate
  • 1–2 representatives from the Technical Oversight Committee
  • 1 representative from each TAG - must be a chair or technical lead of the TAG
    • TAG-Security
    • TAG-Storage
    • TAG-App-Delivery
    • TAG-Network
    • TAG-Runtime
    • TAG Contributor Strategy
    • TAG Observability
  • 1 representative from the Kubernetes CoC Committee - must be an active current member
  • 1 representative from the Marketing Committee - must be a chair
  • 2 CNCF staff
  • 1 LF Events staff
  • External advisors for support

If you would like to participate and are eligible per the list above, please notify Taylor Waggoner <twaggoner@...> no later than June 14.

We apologize for any confusion.

Sincerely,

Chairs for CNCF Governing Board & Technical Oversight Committee

From: Gupta, Arun <arun.gupta@...>
Date: Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 9:22 PM
To: cncf-gb <cncf-gb@...>
Cc: Taylor Waggoner <twaggoner@...>

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Kyverno for incubation

Hongcai Ren

+1 NB

Re: [VOTE] Kyverno for incubation

Paulo Simoes

+1 NB

Re: Request for Comment: Mentoring WG

Davanum Srinivas

works! thanks.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 1:49 PM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 6/17/22 07:53, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> So let's please go ahead and file a PR and we can do what we usually do
> to start a WG.

I think we need to wait until Tuesday.  Then a PR will be coming.

--
-- Josh Berkus
    Kubernetes Community Architect

Re: Request for Comment: Mentoring WG

Josh Berkus

On 6/17/22 07:53, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
So let's please go ahead and file a PR and we can do what we usually do to start a WG.
I think we need to wait until Tuesday. Then a PR will be coming.

--
-- Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community Architect
OSPO, OCTO

Re: Request for Comment: Mentoring WG

Davanum Srinivas

Josh,

Got back to this finally. Thanks for floating this WG. I like both the scope and goals. We can always iterate and update depending on who shows up to do the work etc.

So let's please go ahead and file a PR and we can do what we usually do to start a WG.

thanks,
Dims

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 10:40 AM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
TOC:

TAG Contributor Strategy would like to create the Mentoring Working
Group, under our TAG.

You can find, and comment on, a draft charter here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B_hpVAKxxNaSgVYAsHdjq_57eZEkYUuxcxecbcl3H9c/edit?usp=sharing

The Mentoring WG is a home for organized mentoring activity that was
already happening in the CNCF.  It was originally requested by Ihor
before he became unavailable, and will be led by CNCF staff and
contractors; particularly Nate Waddington (CNCF) and Jay Tihema (ii) to
start. They hope to recruit additional WG contributors from our
community, of course, and a few have tentatively stepped up per the charter.

Right now Mentoring is a Team inside TAG-CS, and we've already begun
work on several initiatives, including LFX, GSOC, GSOD, Outreachy, and a
new effort to make students in NZ aware of internship opportunities in
the CNCF.

The latter will include creation of an indigenous pilot programme to
launch among regional education providers; and career and resource
development in collaboration with stakeholders in community, education,
industry and local government.

We expect learning gained from this approach will help to identify and
bridge suitable candidates into the various mentoring opportunities
available, and act as a framework that can be applied to other groups
globally.

--
-- Josh Berkus, TAG-CS Chair
    Dawn Foster, TAG-CS Chair

Re: Results from Sandbox Inclusion Meeting, 6/14

Davanum Srinivas

This specific one was more of a question rather than a hard request that needed work. so all that was needed was a quick chat to sort it out.

Yes, if there was a specific task, then we should open an issue to track.

thanks,
Dims

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 8:52 PM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 6/16/22 17:43, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> instead of the recording or in addition to the zoom recording?

In addition.

--

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 8:41 PM Josh Berkus <jberkus@...> wrote:
On 6/14/22 17:20, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Please review the recording https://youtu.be/zcTZ2pYPM9I
> <https://youtu.be/zcTZ2pYPM9I> you will hear us talk about the section
> in the main README that says to contact you directly via email. it may
> be good to point to the contributing markdown file instead etc. i've
> added you in the #toc channel for follow up.

Can I suggest again that this kind of feedback get created as an issue
in the TOC repo, so that everyone can track it better?

--
-- Josh Berkus
    Kubernetes Community Architect
    OSPO, OCTO

Re: Results from Sandbox Inclusion Meeting, 6/14

Josh Berkus

On 6/14/22 17:20, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
Please review the recording https://youtu.be/zcTZ2pYPM9I <https://youtu.be/zcTZ2pYPM9I> you will hear us talk about the section in the main README that says to contact you directly via email. it may be good to point to the contributing markdown file instead etc. i've added you in the #toc channel for follow up.
Can I suggest again that this kind of feedback get created as an issue in the TOC repo, so that everyone can track it better?

--
-- Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community Architect
OSPO, OCTO