Date

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022, at 2:37 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin wrote:
Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Richard Hartmann

+1 binding.

I like this DD format. It's a lot cleaner than copying the various,
partially overlapping, DD snippets together.

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

-alena

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Emily Fox

+1 Binding

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Vargas, Jorge

Jorge Vargas.

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 11:37 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Thermo Fisher Scientific. If you believe it to be suspicious, report using the Report Phish button in Outlook or send to SOC@....

Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Liz Rice

+1 NB - and thanks Erin for taking this over

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 13:07, Wan, Lawrence via lists.cncf.io <lawrence.wan=bmo.com@...> wrote:

Lawrence

External Email: Use caution with links and attachments. | Courriel externe : Faites preuve de prudence en ce qui a trait aux liens et aux pièces jointes.

+1 binding

--

Erin A. Boyd

Distinguished Engineer, OCTO

Red Hat

eboyd@...

Image removed by sender.

CNCF Tech Writers Office Hours (February)

Nate Waddington <nwaddington@...>

Hello Everyone,

On the last Wednesday of every month, and in this case, tomorrow, we host a CNCF Tech Writers Office Hours. Projects are welcome to drop in and chat with the Tech Docs team about any documentation questions they might have.

Wed Feb 23rd 10:00am - 10:50am (PST)

https://tockify.com/cncf.public.events/detail/270/1645639200000

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Nate.

Re: [VOTE] Official vote for Knative for inclusion

Wan, Lawrence

Lawrence

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 4:02 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Knative has applied for inclusion at the incubation level.
PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/762
Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qPMyIBZ1tBk6WpEMPuLtTrjA6lvbrQ7DvCZb22S0llo/edit?usp=sharing

Davanum Srinivas is the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6551)

[...]

Re: [VOTE] In-toto for incubating

Richard Hartmann

+1 binding.

I still have some thoughts around overall velocity, but after talking
to h01ger off-list, I am confident in changing my vote.

The rest of this email is more about Debian than CNCF, feel free to skip.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Lukas Puehringer
<lukas.puehringer@...> wrote:

Regarding our relationship to Debian and Reproducible Builds, we’ve been regulars at Debconfs and RB Summits since the inception of the in-toto project (see e.g. [2], [3]), and quite a few in-toto related projects have benefited from our involvement with the community, most notably [4],[5],[6].
Thanks for those. After leading DebConf15 I kinda burned out wrt them,
so I missed this.

It is true that I personally am not a Debian Developer, but I have worked together with the DD Holger Levsen in the past to prepare and upload the downstream releases.
Totally fine; as you probably know, DDs take an _extremely_ close look
onto any claims re Debian doing/saying/being anything specific due to
how often it was used as a reference and not always in the best of
faith.

As a nit, shipping manpages with Linux packages would be preferable,
but I know a lot of projects don't. Ones I should probably be writing
manpages for myself included.

Thanks for the detailed responses from the in-toto crowd,
best,
Richard

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Ricardo Rocha

+1 binding

Red Hat <https://www.redhat.com>

eboyd@...
<https://red.ht/sig>

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 7:37 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

He/Him/His
TZ=America/Detroit

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 2:50 PM Dave Zolotusky via lists.cncf.io <dzolo=spotify.com@...> wrote:
I will abstain from this vote as I’m too close to this project. I feel that voting on it would be a conflict of interest.

~Dave

On Feb 22, 2022, at 8:37 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Dave Zolotusky

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022, 19:37 Amye Scavarda Perrin, <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Walker, JohnMark

+1 NB

Super excited to see this.

-JM

CAUTION: External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If you believe that this email is unsafe, please report it by using the Report Phish button or forward it to information_security@....

Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

[VOTE] Backstage for incubation

Amye Scavarda Perrin

Backstage has applied to move to the incubation level.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/717

Due Diligence doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MRXo1ImGJUkMIim4sP8JI88OhCa4Dsd6LkK7gh8BrBc/edit?usp=sharing

Erin Boyd is now the TOC sponsor for this project, has called for public comment and has approved a call for a public vote. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/6571)

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Director of Developer Programs, CNCF | amye@...

Re: [VOTE] In-toto for incubating

Lukas Puehringer

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the thorough review and detailed comments! And thanks for the nudge about the Debian releases, I just pushed an up-to-date downstream release to mentors [1].

Regarding our relationship to Debian and Reproducible Builds, we’ve been regulars at Debconfs and RB Summits since the inception of the in-toto project (see e.g. [2], [3]), and quite a few in-toto related projects have benefited from our involvement with the community, most notably [4],[5],[6].

It is true that I personally am not a Debian Developer, but I have worked together with the DD Holger Levsen in the past to prepare and upload the downstream releases.

And here is a link to the latest organization-wide “Roadmap review” document, which Santiago mentioned:

There is definitely more going on in the broader in-toto ecosystem, than in the reference implementation, due to the maturity the latter has reached [7].

Let me know if you have questions about any of the resources I shared. I’m happy to provide more details (also off-list).

Kind regards,
Lukas

On 18.02.2022, at 00:28, Richard Hartmann <richih@...> wrote:

Thank you for the quick & detailed response.

Also, again, I am still getting up to speed with this new hat on.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 9:30 PM Santiago Torres Arias <santiago@...> wrote:

Debian is not a company.

I'm somewhat sad to read this reaction, considering we're an open source
project that is *not* backed by a company (one of the few around here in
fact). Although there are other users/communities we work with, I wanted
to single out the long-standing work we've done with Debian dating back
to 2015.

Sorry, for being unclear; the DD doc referred to Debian as a company.
The rest was me trying to drill into what specific relationship
exists. It would still be good to bump the version shipped with
Debian, IMO.

apt-transport-in-toto[1] is current.

Being a DD yourself, maybe you know Holger Levsen?

For two decades, yes; I reached out-of-band.

   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_orgs_in-2Dtoto_people_h01ger&d=DwIBaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=2YMLsMLCML1EOEAeVc1Mhx6J99vqRVHSnZUnatehIDg&m=IXqqlBgFt8MDjOKLhVvdkC2L2NwXnIXeRE8H--GWGuXpFf2ggBSdJ7SspW2jC7Pq&s=CZW112ZmrIUmwEwbQ7tG0M4yqh6dleeJH77n6njy1OU&e=

That org membership is non-public and he's not listed in MAINTAINERS.

Personally, I was surprised to see your positive attitude for
reproducible builds on another project's (which is good to see it
mentioned!) vote but glossed over the in-toto bits as part of the
effort

That wasn't mentioned in the the DD doc and I missed it when looking
through the repo; sorry.

To make it explicit: Any project building reproducibly gets extra
points for being serious in my book.

(I'm don't bleieve there are other CNCF projects listed here):

   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reproducible-2Dbuilds.org_who_projects_&d=DwIBaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=2YMLsMLCML1EOEAeVc1Mhx6J99vqRVHSnZUnatehIDg&m=IXqqlBgFt8MDjOKLhVvdkC2L2NwXnIXeRE8H--GWGuXpFf2ggBSdJ7SspW2jC7Pq&s=lOzyllhfiXlGdLz6oC4QMF_OtTPHfhcVSAoKtMLEQ1U&e=

With my Prometheus hat on, I have tried to get Prometheus onto that
list for years but didn't make huge progress.
With my Grafana hat on: Same.

In a sense, yes, the Python implementation is being used in production,
so we are wary to do major overhauls. We have adopted the attitude to
use the golang implementation to test out new features and then port
them back to the python one.

Thanks; I was going from DD doc & homepage.
In absolute numbers, not relative contributions over time, the Go
version looks similar to the Python for the last 1-2 years. Is [2] the
correct repository to look at?

I can also say that we had various degrees of developer turnover once
the pandemic started...
[...]
No, this has been a committment we've done and/or around version 1.0. We
have lagged a couple of times, I agree.

More than understandable; I know how it is. Public documentation
should manage expectations and arguably underpromise.

Overall, yes. Not sure if you've seen the roadmap reviews. We have also
moved to a monthly community meeting time where we discuss ITE status
and vote to increase velocity. We're starting to see a lot of
implementations (e.g., witness) that are bringing up new features. As
usual, we're in a tightrope between ensuring everybody is heard in terms
of feature additions (so as to not overlap), and allow people to play
with things to see what works.

I didn't see them no. Do you have a direct link to an overview?

I do appreciate your perspective. And I've be happy to answer questions
or rephrase answers as needed.

As the DD doc is done and voting period already ongoing, I am not sure
how much use it is to go back and change it. I am too new in my TOC
role to have any opinion on this.

For the moment, I still feel more comfortable with +0 but want to
emphasize that this is _not_ a -1.

Again, thanks for the quick & detailed reply,
best,
Richard

Re: [VOTE] Official vote for Knative for inclusion

Oleg Chornyi

+1 NB.

--

Oleg Chornyi,