William Morgan

+1 (non-binding)

-William

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Hey CNCF TOC community, it's time to vote on the gRPC (http://www.grpc.io/) proposal as an inception level project, you can view the proposal below in this email or on GitHub:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/23

Please vote +1/0/-1

---

Name of project: gRPC

Google has been using a single general-purpose RPC infrastructure called Stubby to connect the large number of microservices running within and across our data centers for over a decade. Our internal systems have long embraced the microservice architecture gaining popularity today. Stubby has powered all of Google’s microservices interconnect for over a decade and is the RPC backbone behind every Google service that you use today. Having a uniform, cross-platform RPC infrastructure has allowed for the rollout of fleet-wide improvements in efficiency, security, reliability and behavioral analysis critical to supporting the incredible growth seen in that period.

In March 2015, Google decided to build the next version of Stubby in the open to share their learnings with the industry and collaborate with them to build the next version of Stubby. gRPC is a modern open-source high-performance RPC framework that can run in any environment. It can efficiently connect services in multiple languages in and across data centers with pluggable support for service discovery, load balancing, monitoring, tracing, health checking and authentication. It is also applicable in last mile of distributed computing to connect devices, mobile applications and browsers to backend services.

Sponsor / Advisor from TOC: Brian Grant <briangrant@...>

Unique Identifier: grpc

License: ALv2 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/grpc-io/AWCJlR-MA9k/N-EKJtQPAwAJ)

Maturity Level: Incubating

Source control repositories:

https://github.com/grpc

Initial Committers:

Abhishek Kumar

Louis Ryan

Craig Tiller

Eric Anderson

Jayant Kolhe

Infrastructure requirements: CI and potentially CNCF Community Cluster access

Issue tracker: Per-platform issues are raised on the per-platform repository’s issues area (i.e., https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/issues and https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/issues)

Mailing lists

Gitter: https://gitter.im/grpc/grpc

Website: http://www.grpc.io/

Release methodology and mechanics: Various across platforms

Social media accounts: https://twitter.com/grpcio

Existing sponsorship: Google

Adopters: Cisco, CoreOS, Square, Netflix and more (see http://www.grpc.io/about/)

Statement on alignment with CNCF mission:

Microservices are a critical part of the cloud-native story. An open-source polyglot RPC framework like gRPC helps you define, build, and connect high-performance microservices.

External Dependencies

grpc (c/c++): https://github.com/grpc/grpc

BoringSSL: https://boringssl.googlesource.com/boringssl

Zlib: http://www.zlib.net/zlib_license.html

Gflags: https://github.com/gflags/gflags

Google Benchmark: https://github.com/google/benchmark

Googletest: https://github.com/google/googletest

Nanopb: https://github.com/nanopb/nanopb

Thrift (experimental thrift support): http://thrift.apache.org/

Protobuf (for protobuf support): https://github.com/google/protobuf

grpc-java: https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java

Build:

errorprone: "com.google.errorprone:error_prone_annotations:2.0.11",

jsr305: 'com.google.code.findbugs:jsr305:3.0.0',

Compile:

guava: "com.google.guava:guava:${guavaVersion}",

hpack: 'com.twitter:hpack:0.10.1',

oauth_client: 'com.google.auth:google-auth-library-oauth2-http:0.4.0',

google_auth_credentials: 'com.google.auth:google-auth-library-credentials:0.4.0',

okhttp: 'com.squareup.okhttp:okhttp:2.5.0',

okio: 'com.squareup.okio:okio:1.6.0',

census_api: 'com.google.census:census-api:0.2.0',

protobuf: "com.google.protobuf:protobuf-java:${protobufVersion}",

protobuf_lite: "com.google.protobuf:protobuf-lite:3.0.1",

protoc_lite: "com.google.protobuf:protoc-gen-javalite:3.0.0",

Protobuf_nano: "com.google.protobuf.nano:protobuf-javanano:${protobufNanoVersion}",

protobuf_plugin: 'com.google.protobuf:protobuf-gradle-plugin:0.8.0',

protobuf_util: "com.google.protobuf:protobuf-java-util:${protobufVersion}",

netty: 'io.netty:netty-codec-http2:[4.1.6.Final]',

netty_epoll: 'io.netty:netty-transport-native-epoll:4.1.6.Final' + epoll_suffix,

netty_tcnative: 'io.netty:netty-tcnative-boringssl-static:1.1.33.Fork23',

Test dependencies:

junit: 'junit:junit:4.11',

mockito: 'org.mockito:mockito-core:1.9.5',

truth: 'com.google.truth:truth:0.28',

Benchmark:

hdrhistogram: 'org.hdrhistogram:HdrHistogram:2.1.8',

math: 'org.apache.commons:commons-math3:3.6',

Jetty ALPN dependencies:

jetty_alpn_agent: 'org.mortbay.jetty.alpn:jetty-alpn-agent:2.0.3'

grpc-go: https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go

https://godoc.org/bytes

https://godoc.org/compress/gzip

https://godoc.org/encoding/binary

https://godoc.org/errors

https://godoc.org/fmt

https://godoc.org/github.com/golang/protobuf/proto

https://godoc.org/golang.org/x/net/context

https://godoc.org/golang.org/x/net/http2

https://godoc.org/golang.org/x/net/trace

https://godoc.org/io

https://godoc.org/io/ioutil

https://godoc.org/math

https://godoc.org/math/rand

https://godoc.org/net

https://godoc.org/net/http

https://godoc.org/os

https://godoc.org/reflect

https://godoc.org/runtime

https://godoc.org/strings

https://godoc.org/sync

https://godoc.org/time

Other Contributors:

grpc (c/c++): https://github.com/grpc/grpc/graphs/contributors

grpc-java: https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/graphs/contributors

grpc-go: https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/graphs/contributors

All contributors: 77 total, 49 Google, 29 external contributors

@a11r @adewale @adriancole @apolcyn @arteam @a-veitc @awpr @bogdandrutu @bradfitz @broady @buchgr @carl-mastrangelo @ctiller @danruehle @dapengzhang0 @dgquintas @dklempner @dsymonds @ejona86 @elandau @ericgribkoff @gxb5443 @gyuho @heyitsanthony @hongweiwang @iamqizhao @JakeWharton @jayantkolhe @jboeuf @jcanizales @jhspaybar @johnbcoughlin @jtattermusch @kpayson64 @LisaFC @louiscryan @lukaszx0 @madongfly @makdharma @MakMukhi @markdroth @matthild @matttproud @menghanl @mfcripps @mugurm @murgatroid99 @muxi @mwitkow @nathanielmanistaatgoogle @ncteisen @nicolasnoble @nmittler @nobutaka @nuss-justin @oaktowner @peter-edge @petermattis @philips @rjshade @Sajmani @skyao @soltanmm @soltanmm-google @sreecha @stanley-cheung @stevvooe @tamird @tbetbetbe @thagikura @thinkerou @vjpai @wonderfly @yang-g @yangzhouhan @y-zeng @zhangkun83 @zsurocking

Re: important updates re TOC meeting scheduling & agenda in future

Christopher LILJENSTOLPE <cdl@...>

Greetings,

FWIW: Thursday is problematic for me, Tuesday is better. Would prefer actually earlier in the AM as discussed, 08:00 on the US west coast is problematic (as it locks me at home, and I usually have f2f meetings most morning).

Christopher

On 16 Feb 2017, at 11:49, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc wrote:

TOC members,

We talked about moving the fortnightly TOC calls to another day. My own
preference would be Thursday, with Tuesday as second choice. Please can we
stick with the 8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm UK / 5pm DE slot. WDYT?

TOC community,

We are past the bootstrap phase. The CNCF now has multiple projects, with
more to come in 2017. Now we need to flesh out details of stuff like CI.
And we need to make sure we are nurturing existing projects well.

To that end - the TOC is keen to (a) have more 'working' meetings covering
special topics, and (b) involve you more in pre-meeting agenda setting via
public channels. Please be outspoken and demand participation.

李柯睿
Avt tace, avt loqvere meliora silentio
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf
keybase: https://keybase.io/liljenstolpe

Re: important updates re TOC meeting scheduling & agenda in future

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

I agree with your priorities and time.

We talked about moving the fortnightly TOC calls to another day.  My own preference would be Thursday, with Tuesday as second choice.  Please can we stick with the 8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm UK / 5pm DE slot.  WDYT?

TOC community,

We are past the bootstrap phase.  The CNCF now has multiple projects, with more to come in 2017.  Now we need to flesh out details of stuff like CI.  And we need to make sure we are nurturing existing projects well.

To that end - the TOC is keen to (a) have more 'working' meetings covering special topics, and (b) involve you more in pre-meeting agenda setting via public channels.  Please be outspoken and demand participation.

alexis

Re: important updates re TOC meeting scheduling & agenda in future

Swarna Podila (Avi Networks) <swarna@...>

We have the marketing committee meetings on Tuesdays at the same time, so Thursday would be my preference if we are sticking to the same time.

Best,
Swarna.

On Feb 16, 2017, 11:53 AM -0800, Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>, wrote:

I am OK with either Tuesday or Thursday and would also have a strong preference to keep the same time.

thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

[...]

alexis richardson

TOC members,

We talked about moving the fortnightly TOC calls to another day.  My own preference would be Thursday, with Tuesday as second choice.  Please can we stick with the 8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm UK / 5pm DE slot.  WDYT?

TOC community,

We are past the bootstrap phase.  The CNCF now has multiple projects, with more to come in 2017.  Now we need to flesh out details of stuff like CI.  And we need to make sure we are nurturing existing projects well.

To that end - the TOC is keen to (a) have more 'working' meetings covering special topics, and (b) involve you more in pre-meeting agenda setting via public channels.  Please be outspoken and demand participation.

alexis

Re: Interesting tech marketing from Amazon

Mark Coleman <mark@...>

+1 I will follow up early next week.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Joe, I think the marketing committee folks could happily use or repurpose ~CIO facing materials.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM Joe Beda <joe@...> wrote:
This series was essentially a reworking of that.  I tried to update it as I wrote it out.

This stuff was aimed at the ~CIO level so I tried to keep things approachable but real.  Happy to go in to more depth if the discussion would be useful.

Joe

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
Many thanks Joe!  I thought that was a great series.  Do you still have your cloud native white paper from last year, or do you consider that to be dated now?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM Joe Beda <joe@...> wrote:
Hey all,

This is all winding down but I wanted to throw a couple of cents in.  I wrote a series of blog posts looking at this as we launched Heptio:  https://blog.heptio.com/cloud-native-part-1-definition-716ed30e9193#.raih0u3m0

Joe

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:25 AM Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Just to wrap up this thread:

1) Thanks to everyone for the sparky contributions.  This is clearly an area that matters to people.

2) During the GB & TOC meetings yesterday, it was decided to take steps to unify and write out the CNCF thinking on positioning. The CTA here is: please connect with Mark Coleman, marketing committee chair.

alexis

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM Scott McCarty via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:

On 02/14/2017 01:41 PM, Mark Coleman via cncf-toc wrote:
> Andy, I like dynamically scalable. That's much better.
Dynamic, or horizontal....

> I'd also like to add that what we're proposing here is that people can
> get any /or all/ of those 3 by going cloud native. I think that's an
> important distinction.
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:40 AM Dustin Kirkland
> <kirkland@... <mailto:kirkland@...>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Andrew Randall via cncf-toc
>     <cncf-toc@... <mailto:cncf-toc@...>> wrote:
>     > I think we should aim for 3 core principles. Any more than that
>     and people
>     > won't be able to repeat as a mantra.
>
>     Agreed.  I can only remember about 3 of the 12-factors :-)
>
> --
> +31 652134960
> CEO www.implicit-explicit.com <http://www.implicit-explicit.com>
> Co-Founder www.softwarecircus.io <http://softwarecircus.io/>
> Marketing Chair www.cncf.io <https://www.cncf.io/>

Scott McCarty, RHCA

Technical Product Marketing: Containers

Email: smccarty@...

Phone: 312-660-3535

Cell: 330-807-1043

Web: http://crunchtools.com

When should you split your application into multiple containers?
http://red.ht/22xKw9i

+31 652134960
Marketing Chair www.cncf.io

Joe Beda <joe@...>

> [...]

>     On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Andrew Randall via cncf-toc
>     <cncf-toc@... <mailto:cncf-toc@...>> wrote:
>     > I think we should aim for 3 core principles. Any more than that
>     and people
>     > won't be able to repeat as a mantra.
>
>     Agreed.  I can only remember about 3 of the 12-factors :-)
>
> --
> +31 652134960
> CEO www.implicit-explicit.com <http://www.implicit-explicit.com>
> Co-Founder www.softwarecircus.io <http://softwarecircus.io/>
> Marketing Chair www.cncf.io <https://www.cncf.io/>

Scott McCarty, RHCA

Technical Product Marketing: Containers

Email: smccarty@...

Phone: 312-660-3535

Cell: 330-807-1043

Web: http://crunchtools.com

When should you split your application into multiple containers?

Re: [VOTE] gRPC project proposal

Benjamin Hindman

+1

[...]

Founder of Mesosphere and Co-Creator of Apache Mesos

Follow us on Twitter: @mesosphere

Watch the Video .Learn how Verizon serves millions
of users in real time with DC/OS

Re: [VOTE] CoreDNS project proposal (inception)

Benjamin Hindman

+1

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Brian Grant via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Ram, J via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> +1
>
> ________________________________

Watch the Video .See how Verizon is tackling
IoT with DC/OS

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
> +1
>
> ________________________________

non-binding +1

On 15 Feb 2017, at 17:48, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc wrote:

[...]

FW: Interesting tech marketing from Amazon

NASSAUR, DOUGLAS C <dn283x@...>

Sorry team, Alexis noticed this did not go to the list. Repost. Thanks

From: Jonathan Boulle via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 2/15/17 6:35 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] gRPC project proposal

[...]