Date

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Reitbauer, Alois

+1, nb

From: cncf-toc@... <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of Amye Scavarda Perrin via lists.cncf.io <ascavarda=linuxfoundation.org@...>
Date: Tuesday, 6. July 2021 at 21:33
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

This email may contain confidential information. If it appears this message was sent to you by mistake, please let us know of the error. In this case, we also ask that you do not further forward the content and delete it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Dynatrace Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Linz whose registered office is at 4020 Linz, Austria, Am Fünfundzwanziger Turm 20.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Regarding the communication of different levels of maturity of different parts of the project, the status page is a good addition, thank you!

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:50 AM Bing Lien via lists.cncf.io <binglien=hitrust.com.tw@...> wrote:
+1 nb

從我的iPhone傳送

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Juraci Paixão Kröhling <jpkroehling@...>

+1 non-binding

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 9:54 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Bing Lien

+1 nb

從我的iPhone傳送

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Ricardo Rocha

+1 binding

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 12:27:55PM -0700, Amye Scavarda Perrin via lists.cncf.io wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (
https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for
a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Herve LECLERC

Hervé Leclerc
CTO
Alter Way
227 Bureaux de la colline
1 rue Royale - Bât. D
92210 Saint-Cloud
France
Zoom Personal Link https://alterway.zoom.us/my/hleclerc
+33 141 168 336
+33 683 979 598

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:27 AM GolfenGuo <golfen.guo@...> wrote:

Golfen Guo

+86 18016427071

Shanghai DaoCloud Network Technology Co,. Ltd

#Your Cloud Native Application Delivered!#

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 "April Kyle Nassi via lists.cncf.io" <anassi=google.com@...>
答复: "anassi@..." <anassi@...>
日期: 202177 星期三 下午2:22
收件人: Cornelia Davis <cornelia@...>
抄送: Kiran Mova <kiran.mova@...>, Joe Searcy <joe@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
主题: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

+1 nb

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 9:25 PM Cornelia Davis <cornelia@...> wrote:

+1 binding

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 19:47, Kiran Mova <kiran.mova@...> wrote:

+1 non binding

--

Kiran Mova  | Co-Founder, Chief Architect MayaData  | kiran.mova@...

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Joe Searcy <joe@...> wrote:

Cornelia Davis

CTO, Weaveworks

@cdavisafc

+1 805 452 8941

本邮件及附件含 DaoCloud 保密信息,仅限发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组,禁止任何其他人以任何形式使用本邮件中的信息。若误收本邮件,请务必通知发送人并直接删去,不得使用、传播或复制本邮件。

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 "April Kyle Nassi via lists.cncf.io" <anassi=google.com@...>
答复: "anassi@..." <anassi@...>
日期: 202177 星期三 下午2:22
收件人: Cornelia Davis <cornelia@...>
抄送: Kiran Mova <kiran.mova@...>, Joe Searcy <joe@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>

+1 nb

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 9:25 PM Cornelia Davis <cornelia@...> wrote:

+1 binding

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 19:47, Kiran Mova <kiran.mova@...> wrote:

+1 non binding

--

Kiran Mova  | Co-Founder, Chief Architect MayaData  | kiran.mova@...

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Joe Searcy <joe@...> wrote:

Cornelia Davis

CTO, Weaveworks

@cdavisafc

+1 805 452 8941

本邮件及附件含 DaoCloud 保密信息,仅限发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组,禁止任何其他人以任何形式使用本邮件中的信息。若误收本邮件,请务必通知发送人并直接删去,不得使用、传播或复制本邮件。

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

April Kyle Nassi

[...]

Kiran Mova

+1 non binding

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Joe Searcy <joe@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Joe Searcy

+1 non-binding

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Lei Zhang

+1 binding

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 12:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Mark Carter

+1 NB.
Excited to see this moving forward, important ask from AWS customers.
Mark

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...> wrote:

-1 non-binding

Disclaimer: I like OTel project and even in Fluent ecosystem we are working towards integration with it.

My reasons might be controversial but I think OTel is not ready for incubation "yet".

As an end-user and project maintainer, I care about usability. OTel aims to cover Traces, Metrics, and Logs:

  • At this point, only Traces are in GA state. Usable.

  • Metrics: API and SDKs are "DRAFT" and the collector is experimental. Per my understanding, there is no stable integration with openmetrics or Prometheus ecosystem (for me and "many companies" this is a must). Partial usable.

  • Logs: API and SDKs are "DRAFT", the collector is experimental. Not usable.

A project at the incubation stage has to demonstrate maturity and wide adoption, if this is not the case as a foundation (CNCF) we might be sending the wrong message to the end users.

We aim to incubate projects with enough maturity and a minimal level of usability, but this is not the case. This is nothing against OTel but a purely technical opinion. I know we cannot incubate a sub-set of it like Traces only, but this is a complete offering and there are missing pieces of integration and implementation.

I think moving OTel to incubation might help cloud vendors to spread the message, but what about the end users?

The formal doc states:

"TOC acknowledged the gaps in stability and adoption of significant Logging and Metric parts of the OpenTelemetry project. TOC confirmed it should not be a blocker for incubation. "

I disagree, I think this is a blocker, there is so much pressure from vendors..., and rushing things might not be beneficial for the long term.

Why not wait a bit more and do a proper incubation with the minimal pieces on it? I think staying in Sandbox a bit more will be beneficial for the project while rushing it might hurt the ecosystem.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 15:48, Bob Killen <killen.bob@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding.
\o/

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Eduardo Silva

[...]

Bob Killen

+1 non-binding.
\o/

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Thomas Schuetz

+1 nb

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

He/Him/His
TZ=America/Detroit

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Jaice Singer DuMars

+1 non-binding

This is a great step forward!

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 1:09 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
+1 from me (binding)

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:28 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

-alena

On Jul 6, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation