Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Lei Zhang

+1 binding

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 12:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Mark Carter

+1 NB.
Excited to see this moving forward, important ask from AWS customers.
Mark

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Eduardo Silva <eduardo@...> wrote:

-1 non-binding

Disclaimer: I like OTel project and even in Fluent ecosystem we are working towards integration with it.

My reasons might be controversial but I think OTel is not ready for incubation "yet".

As an end-user and project maintainer, I care about usability. OTel aims to cover Traces, Metrics, and Logs:

  • At this point, only Traces are in GA state. Usable.

  • Metrics: API and SDKs are "DRAFT" and the collector is experimental. Per my understanding, there is no stable integration with openmetrics or Prometheus ecosystem (for me and "many companies" this is a must). Partial usable.

  • Logs: API and SDKs are "DRAFT", the collector is experimental. Not usable.

A project at the incubation stage has to demonstrate maturity and wide adoption, if this is not the case as a foundation (CNCF) we might be sending the wrong message to the end users.

We aim to incubate projects with enough maturity and a minimal level of usability, but this is not the case. This is nothing against OTel but a purely technical opinion. I know we cannot incubate a sub-set of it like Traces only, but this is a complete offering and there are missing pieces of integration and implementation.

I think moving OTel to incubation might help cloud vendors to spread the message, but what about the end users?

The formal doc states:

"TOC acknowledged the gaps in stability and adoption of significant Logging and Metric parts of the OpenTelemetry project. TOC confirmed it should not be a blocker for incubation. "

I disagree, I think this is a blocker, there is so much pressure from vendors..., and rushing things might not be beneficial for the long term.

Why not wait a bit more and do a proper incubation with the minimal pieces on it? I think staying in Sandbox a bit more will be beneficial for the project while rushing it might hurt the ecosystem.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 15:48, Bob Killen <killen.bob@...> wrote:
+1 non-binding.
\o/

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Eduardo Silva

[...]

Bob Killen

+1 non-binding.
\o/

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Thomas Schuetz

+1 nb

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

He/Him/His
TZ=America/Detroit

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Jaice Singer DuMars

+1 non-binding

This is a great step forward!

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 1:09 PM Davanum Srinivas <davanum@...> wrote:
+1 from me (binding)

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:28 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

-alena

On Jul 6, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: [VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Davanum Srinivas

+1 from me (binding)

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:28 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

[VOTE] OpenTelemetry for incubation

Amye Scavarda Perrin

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/619
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4WQR6K84giyOCKjCsqcoVA8YUIzBhWZDVo3CwM1wuk/edit

Alena Prokharchyk has called for public comment (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5914) and has approved a call for a public vote.

Re: Agenda for 7/6 Meeting

Liz Rice

Apparently I've only got read access on the slides otherwise I'd add this - let's also have a quick update from TOC members on the status of incubation / graduation DD they are working on (I think we should have a regular update every month on the outstanding projects that are waiting on us). Here's the current list from the working doc:

Projects applying for incubation with sponsors:

Projects applying for graduation with sponsors:

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 4:01 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

Agenda for 7/6 Meeting

Amye Scavarda Perrin

Re: KEDA Incubation DD for public comment

Oleg Chornyi

Oleg Chornyi, CTO

ventuscloud.eu

The KEDA project has applied for Incubation status, and I’m the TOC sponsor

 - Here’s the PR:

- And here’s the due diligence document.

Everyone is welcome to comment in the document, on that PR, or in reply to this thread, before we move to a TOC vote. This period of public comment will last a minimum of two weeks.

Liz

KEDA Incubation DD for public comment

Liz Rice

The KEDA project has applied for Incubation status, and I’m the TOC sponsor

 - Here’s the PR:

- And here’s the due diligence document.

Everyone is welcome to comment in the document, on that PR, or in reply to this thread, before we move to a TOC vote. This period of public comment will last a minimum of two weeks.

Liz

Linkerd incubation public comment period

Dave Zolotusky

Hi All,

Linkerd has applied to move from Incubating to Graduated.

I am the TOC sponsor for Linkerd. Tag Network conducted an assessment in April 2021, recommending promotion of Linkerd to graduated status.

The public comment period is now open for 2 weeks, until EOD Friday, July 9, 2021. All TAGs, end users, TOC members, and community members are welcome to comment by replying to this thread.

Thanks,
~Dave

Artifact Hub 2021 annual review

Sergio Castaño Arteaga <tegioz@...>

Hi!

We’ve just created a PR for the Artifact Hub annual review: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/681

Thank you.-

Sandbox Inclusion Meeting Results from 6/22

Amye Scavarda Perrin

The TOC met today to review the applications for projects wishing to be included as sandbox projects. We weren't able to make it through all of the applications, we'll hold another review meeting on July 13th.

Reapplications:

New applications:

OpenTelemetry incubation public comment period

Alena Prokharchyk

Hi All,

OpenTelemetry has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

Cornelia Davis and I are TOC sponsors for OpenTelemetry. DD has been reviewed by TAG Observability.

OpenTelemetry incubation involves OpenTracing project being deprecated and archived. Deprecation plan can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WgSQ7ZvzO-JHeZi_ECRC7dwIbJYHPoYSXJqS1hLDJgI/edit#

The public comment period is now open for 2 weeks, and all TAGs, end users, TOC members, and community members are welcome to comment by replying to this thread.

Thanks,
-alena

OpenMetrics incubation public comment period

Alena Prokharchyk

Hi All,

OpenMetrics has applied to move from Sandbox to Incubation.

PR: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/615
Due Diligence (DD) doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BN6ABvfbAMhJthH6xNOY5Lmls3jeE3kFbMgF04BzEKE/edit#heading=h.jidcx4f4xk02

Cornelia Davis and I are TOC sponsors for the project. DD has been reviewed by TAG Observability.

The public comment period is now open for 2 weeks, and all TAGs, end users, TOC members, and community members are welcome to comment by replying to this thread.

Thanks,
-alena

581 - 600 of 6507