Date

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Frederick Kautz

+1 NB

This is an incredibly important project, and I think we are only seeing the beginning of its impact. Congratulations to the team for their achievements!

On Dec 9, 2020, at 11:22 AM, John Belamaric via lists.cncf.io <jbelamaric=google.com@...> wrote:

+1 nb

Re: OPA to graduation

Gareth Rushgrove

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 19:11, Liz Rice <liz@lizrice.com> wrote:

I really like OPA, and the project is doing tons of things really well, but I am struggling to add a +1 on the voting thread for it. When we move something to graduation, the TOC is sending a strong message that we think it's ready for end users to run in production - but to me it's not exactly clear what we're recommending. Anecdotally it seems to me that for a lot of folks in our community, OPA is synonymous with Gatekeeper. And that's a really useful component, and I don't want to do a disservice to the great work being done on it, but I don't think it's necessarily true that webhook + Gatekeeper is a robust, scalable solution that end users can assume they can deploy today with little-to-no risk.

I am very open to hearing why my concern is misplaced - for example am I missing messaging about other situations where OPA is being widely used, or how Gatekeeper is positioned?
I think Gatekeeper is interesting, but it's a sub-project of Open
Policy Agent, not the whole thing. Anecdotally I mainly talk to a lot
more folks using OPA outside Kubernetes than those just using it for
Kubernetes-related use cases. Download stats are imperfect, but do
bring some data points.

At least direct from GitHub, Conftest
(https://github.com/open-policy-agent/conftest/, another sub-project)
gets a lot more direct downloads than OPA. That's intentional (at
least to me, as the creator and one of the maintainers!) as it's
intended for local individual usage. It's developers downloading it to
their desktops, from homebrew or direct from GitHub.

The latest Conftest release has seen ~7000 downloads across platforms
(not including the container image) and was shipped <1 month ago (14th
November).

The Docker Hub published images tell the other part of the story

10M+
https://hub.docker.com/r/openpolicyagent/opa/

1M+
https://hub.docker.com/r/openpolicyagent/gatekeeper

100k+
https://hub.docker.com/r/openpolicyagent/conftest (formerly
https://hub.docker.com/r/instrumenta/conftest)

Gatekeeper here outstrips Conftest, given it's server vs local use
case. OPA itself is more popular still, because while Gatekeeper is
only for Kubernetes, OPA itself can be used with Kubernetes, but it's
also used for other generic policy use cases in the broader cloud
native ecosystem.

GitHub Stars (pah!) are interesting in microcosm here as well:

Conftest - 1.5k
Gatekeeper - 1.4k
OPA - 4.3k

But that's also just direct usage. OPA itself I'd argue is also partly
something others build on top of as a library. Others will have other
private and public examples, but for instance
https://forsetisecurity.org/docs/latest/configure/real-time-enforcer/opa-engine.html
or https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/radosgw/opa/.

What ties all of those OPA-powered tools together is the Rego policy
language and I think that's an important aspect here with regards to
graduation. Another datapoint was there was enough Rego code on GitHub
for them to add support for code search and highlighting last year
https://github.com/github/linguist/pull/4371#issuecomment-533053406.
The amount of public Rego code has continued to grow as well
https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&type=Code&ref=searchresults&q=extension%3Arego+package,
from around 200 results a over a year ago to more than 7000 now. Note
as well most of the Rego written, by its nature, is going to be
private.

Hopefully that's useful context about the project and ecosystem. There
are likely some good user stories as well that others can share to
compliment my data deluge. The Gatekeeper folks can probably comment
on Gatekeeper specifically too, but Open Policy Agent is a bigger
project with a broader impact on the wider cloud native community I
feel.

Gareth

--
Gareth Rushgrove
@garethr

garethr.dev
devopsweekly.com

Re: OPA to graduation

Joe Searcy

I can't speak for everyone, but we are, and have been for the last 2+ years, been making great use of OPA in production across our entire fleet of Kubernetes clusters and several other ecosystem components. While I do agree that some folks associate OPA with Gatekeeper, OPA is much more ubiquitous. The admission controller model with OPA is very popular, but other example of how we use it are:

- Custom authorization policies within Envoy/Gloo
- Generic RBAC for several in-house built tools/apps
- Custom Token validation
- Generic CI/CD conformance
- Kubernetes Fleet conformance (cross-cluster policy)

We run 100's of OPA instances as both containers and as embedded libraries.

Use cases like Conftest come to mind as well.

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

John Belamaric

+1 nb

Re: OPA to graduation

John Belamaric

+1 nb

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:44 AM Andrés Vega <andresvega1@...> wrote:
Working in synchronicity from the authentication problem space adjacent to authorization, it has been fascinating to watch OPA evolve and grow in both adoption and maturity.

In every SPIFFE and SPIRE conversation, OPA always surfaces as the best architectural fit for a comprehensive identity and authorization solution. While there is a learning curve to Rego, people do manage to wrap their heads around it as it pays dividends in return.

As Joe, I'd like to see overtime further standardization of the APIs.

+1 NB

Andres

Re: OPA to graduation

Liz Rice

[...]

Klaus Ma

+1 nb :)

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:27 AM Jakub Scholz <jakub@...> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 6:06 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Jakub Scholz <jakub@...>

+1 (non-binding)

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 6:06 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Emily Fox

+1 NB
~Emily Fox
@TheMoxieFox

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:58 PM kensipe <kensipe@...> wrote:
+1 NB

On Dec 8, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Isaac Mosquera via lists.cncf.io <isaac=armory.io@...> wrote:

+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 5:08 PM, Brandon Lum lumjjb@... wrote:
+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:05 PM Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Amye Scavarda Perrin | Program Manager | amye@...

#velocity,

I S A A C  M O S Q U E R A
Chief Technology Officer
p: 703.795.5322

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

kensipe

[...]

Jon Mittelhauser

+1 nb

From: <cncf-toc@...> on behalf of "Isaac Mosquera via lists.cncf.io" <isaac=armory.io@...>
Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM
To: Brandon Lum <lumjjb@...>
Cc: Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...>, Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...>, CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 5:08 PM, Brandon Lum lumjjb@... wrote:

+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:05 PM Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...> wrote:

+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:

The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

#velocity,

I S A A C  M O S Q U E R A

Chief Technology Officer

p: 703.795.5322

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Isaac Mosquera

+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 5:08 PM, Brandon Lum lumjjb@... wrote:
+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:05 PM Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

#velocity,

I S A A C  M O S Q U E R A
Chief Technology Officer
p: 703.795.5322

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Brandon Lum

+1 NB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:05 PM Ricardo Aravena <raravena80@...> wrote:
+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Ricardo Aravena

+1 nb

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:01 AM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
The Open Policy Agent project has applied for graduation from incubation to graduated. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/520)

The due diligence document can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19M5fTpe57rQIMNxawRl5wSWvJUapuzY-CkV4O5pvieU/edit

Brendan Burns has called for public comment: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5281

Re: [EXTERNAL] [cncf-toc] [VOTE] Open Policy Agent from incubating to graduated

Tim St. Clair

+1 Non-binding

From: Stephen Augustus <stephen.k8s@...>
Date: Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 22:56
Subject: [k8s-steering] [RFC] Refining the way we communicate deprecations/wide-reaching changes to the project
To: Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kubernetes-dev@...>
Cc: steering <steering@...>

Hey Kubernetes Community,

tl;dr -- words are hard sometimes and we should take some time and care to assess the way we wield them.

---

As we go through deprecations and infrastructure changes in the project, it might be a worthwhile exercise to assess and refine the way we communicate them.

I can think of a few recent examples that caused some panic and required additional lift from contributors to reframe or contort/extend support to accommodate:
We should consider what it means to turn down a service, piece of functionality, or kubernetes/kubernetes-adjacent system and type of impact it may have for consumers.

Without policing contributors, as maintainers of the project, we also have a responsibility to users to be careful and deliberate with our communications outside of the project, whether it be Twitter, Hacker News, etc., etc.

So how can we improve?

I think depending on the scope of a change, the following SIGs should be involved in crafting comms:
  • SIG Architecture
  • SIG Release
  • SIG Docs
With SIG ContribEx to assist with consistent delivery across our properties.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts here.

-- Stephen

Agenda for 12/1

We'll be meeting tomorrow:
Optional SIG Updates
New Training Course on Diversity in Open Source
Moved: Security Scanning for projects to December 15th when Liz is able to make the meeting

Re: [VOTE] Buildpacks to move to incubation

Isaac Mosquera

+1 NB

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 12:49 PM, Archy k ayrat.khayretdinov@... wrote:
+1 NB

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 5:21 PM Amye Scavarda Perrin <ascavarda@...> wrote:
Cloud Native Buildpacks has applied to move from sandbox to incubation. (https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/338)

Justin Cormack is the TOC sponsor for this project, he has performed Due Diligence (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tb3mK5cJmaQLO8xR__9NaH2GMrdn3WPjAZFBJYsXrxY/edit) and called for public comment. (https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/5317)

#velocity,

I S A A C  M O S Q U E R A
Chief Technology Officer
p: 703.795.5322