From: cncf-toc-bounces@... [mailto:cncf-toc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 9:49 AM
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] linkerd project proposal

Hey CNCF TOC community, it's time to vote on the linkerd (https://linkerd.io/) proposal as an inception level project, you can view the proposal below in this email or on GitHub: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/25

Please vote +1/0/-1

---

Name of project: linkerd

Description: Linkerd is an open source service mesh for cloud-native applications. It is a layer 5/7 proxy that provides fully decentralized request-level reliability and optimization to service communication, including latency-aware load balancing, retries, failure handling, circuit breaking, and deadlines. It provides granular metrics (both of itself and of downstream services), distributed tracing, TLS, a powerful logical routing layer, and integration with most common service discovery mechanisms.

Applications use linkerd by proxying HTTP, gRPC, or Thrift calls through a local linkerd instance. In many cases, integration with linkerd is a config change (e.g. setting an http_proxy environment variable) rather than a code change. Linkerd acts as a transparent proxy, and so a call to (e.g. "http://foo/bar") will be routed to the appropriate cluster, resolved in service discovery, load balanced, retried, and returned without application code being aware.

Linkerd is built on top of Finagle (https://twitter.github.io/finagle/), the high-concurrency RPC library that powers companies like Twitter, Soundcloud, Pinterest, and ING Bank. By staying close to the Finagle codebase, linkerd takes advantage of Finagle’s extensive production usage (https://github.com/twitter/finagle/blob/develop/ADOPTERS.md). Linkerd’s primary author is a core contributor to Finagle.

Sponsor / Advisor from TOC:
Jonathan Boulle <jonathan.boulle@...>

Unique Identifier: linkerd

License: Apache License v2.0

Maturity Level: Inception

Source control repositories: https://github.com/linkerd

Initial Committers (leads): Oliver Gould (Buoyant) [@olix0r] and Alex Leong (Buoyant) [@adleong]

Infrastructure requirements: CI and potentially CNCF Community Cluster access. We run integration tests per commit (e.g. testing Kubernetes API integration) and periodic high-volume stress tests.

Issue tracker: https://github.com/linkerd/issues

Website: https://linkerd.io/

Community: Active & growing!

Primarily focused on https://slack.linkerd.io (~400 members)

~1200 GitHub stars

~25 contributors

Release methodology and mechanics: Code review on all changes. Releases triggered manually by developer team. Using pre-1.0 semver semantics.

Social media accounts: Twitter: @linkerd, Slack: http://slack.linkerd.io/

Existing sponsorship: https://buoyant.io/

External Dependencies: Runtime: JVM. Build-time: Finagle, netty

Statement on alignment with CNCF mission:

Linkerd directly addresses the communications challenges of running microservices at scale, and integrates directly with orchestrated environments such as Kubernetes and DC/OS. Linkerd integrates with two existing CNCF projects: it can use the Kubernetes API directly as a service discovery mechanism, and it exposes metrics in Prometheus format. See this blog post (https://blog.buoyant.io/2016/10/04/a-service-mesh-for-kubernetes-part-i-top-line-service-metrics/) for an example of linkerd, Kubernetes and Prometheus working together.

Production Usage:

Monzo: used in production; k8s-based infra (https://monzo.com/blog/2016/09/19/building-a-modern-bank-backend/)

NCBI: used in production w/Consul

Quid: used in production

Douban: used in production

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: used in production; DC/OS-based infra

Olark: used in production; k8s-based infra (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nhQwbe8OY&index=107&list=PLj6h78yzYM2PqgIGU1Qmi8nY7dqn9PCr4)

Other Contributors:

Currently ~25; >50% non-Buoyant by headcount: https://github.com/BuoyantIO/linkerd/graphs/contributors?type=a

Re: [VOTE] linkerd project proposal

"杨忠勋 <alex@...>

From: "Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc"<cncf-toc@...>
Date: Fri, Jan 13, 2017 11:55 PM
To: "Chris Aniszczyk"<caniszczyk@...>;
Cc: "CNCF TOC"<cncf-toc@...>;
Subject: Re: [cncf-toc] [VOTE] linkerd project proposal
+1

<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Aniszczyk

[...]

Re: RFC: Fission (http://fission.io/)

Yaron Haviv

I think we should consider a working group or SIG for “serverless”

some of those solutions look naïve at best

there is a lot of overlap between k8s functionality and “serverless” on one hand, on the other it requires integration with multiple external frameworks e.g. APIs, PubSub, Logging, K/V state storage, event triggers/streamers, identity management. Each of those may have few overlapping cloud, open-source and commercial options with pros and cons. I don’t see how one company can deliver on it all (unless its AWS/GCP/Azure), it calls for collaboration.

the right path is to start with requirements and a framework/architecture which define the flows, layers, APIs and roles of components, what needs to be done at the orchestration layer (k8s/mesos/..), how external triggers or resources are plugged into it, how does it scale, development tools ...

I’m willing to take active part in such a workforce

Yaron

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 01/05/2017 11:03 AM
Subject: [cncf-toc] Final RFC: linkerd
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

At the TOC call this week, we discussed finalizing the linkerd proposal and getting it ready for vote. I propose we have a final RFC over the next few days and call for a formal vote early next week.

Please make any comments/suggestions here:

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719_______________________________________________

Re: Final RFC: linkerd

Doug Davis <dug@...>

From: Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
To: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date: 01/05/2017 11:03 AM
Sent by: cncf-toc-bounces@...

At the TOC call this week, we discussed finalizing the linkerd proposal and getting it ready for vote. I propose we have a final RFC over the next few days and call for a formal vote early next week.

Please make any comments/suggestions here:

Chris Aniszczyk (@cra) | +1-512-961-6719_______________________________________________

Final RFC: linkerd

Chris Aniszczyk

At the TOC call this week, we discussed finalizing the linkerd proposal and getting it ready for vote. I propose we have a final RFC over the next few days and call for a formal vote early next week.

Please make any comments/suggestions here:

Re: RFC: Traefik

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

I would like to sponsor this project and will work with Emile on the process.

Kind regards,

Ken

banner2

Kenneth Owens

CTO

kenowens@...

Tel: +1 408 424 0872

Cisco Systems, Inc.

16401 Swingley Ridge Road Suite 400
CHESTERFIELD
63017
United States
cisco.com

Think before you print.

Please click here for Company Registration Information.

As part of the project proposal process, we aim to have a discussion about the project on the mailing list / TOC call before a decision is made to formally invite a project. I invite the TOC and the wider CNCF community to comment on the mailing list.

From my personal end, I'd love to ask Emile and the Traefik community about production usage. I know that on the call Cisco was mentioned, but would love to learn more about where else Traefik is being used in the wild.

Thanks again Emile for taking the time to present!

FYI: CNCF Events in 2017

Chris Aniszczyk

Hope everyone had a good new years!

Just a friendly reminder that we have two main hosted events for CNCF in 2017:

* March 29th - 30th: CloudNativeCon/KubeCon EU (Berlin)
   * http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudnativecon-europe
   * The CFP is closed… we received ~400 submissions!

* Dec 6th - 7th: CloudNativeCon/KubeCon NA (Austin)
   * http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudnativecon/program/cnc17
   * CFP is open (https://goo.gl/9fUJM5): submit talks now! (closes August 21st 2017)

Sponsorships are selling out in some categories but are still available, you can shoot a note to sponsor@... if you're interested!

Re: RFC: Traefik

alexis richardson

Emile, thanks again for a very helpful intro!

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Emile VAUGE via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Thanks a lot for your time everyone :)

Chris,

From my personal end, I'd love to ask Emile and the Traefik community
about production usage. I know that on the call Cisco was mentioned, but
would love to learn more about where else Traefik is being used in the wild.

First, Traefik is used in multiple open source projects like Mantl from
Cisco or Apollo from Cap Gemini.
Other than that, a lot of companies have been using Traefik in production
even before the 1.0 release back in July 2016. I cannot give all names
publicly, but for example Cisco, Reevoo, Yardstick or HP are all using it in
production.

Emile

Thanks again Emile for taking the time to present!