From: cncf-toc-bounces@... [mailto:cncf-toc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 10:44 AM
To: cncf-toc@...
Subject: [cncf-toc] TOC vote on Kubernetes

To the TOC members,

Please indicate your vote on the acceptance of Kubernetes as a CNCF project by saying YES or NO.  Today we are seeking unanimous support, from all TOC voting members, for the following statement.

“The TOC has accepted Kubernetes into the CNCF. Google may now transfer copyright and trademarks(*) associated with Kubernetes to the Linux Foundation. Kubernetes is now an Incubated Project(**) at the CNCF. The TOC is working with the Kubernetes community to finalise the project governance model.”

(*) Sarah Novotny will provide a complete list of assets.  Our understanding is that a "yes" vote will lead to Google initiating the IP transfers to LF for the CNCF.

(**) The TOC will define "Incubated Project" asap

NOTE: This is a special process that we have introduced for Kubernetes as the first CNCF project. For later projects, we (the TOC) intend to use a more formal process.

If you have questions or comments, speak up!

alexis

TOC vote on Kubernetes

alexis richardson

[...]

Re: Fun Friday reading

alexis richardson

+1 --- CI and testing is a way that CNCF can provide more help via infra/services, than a typical other foundation.  Certainly I have wished for access to scalable test infra myself, many times in the past.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:25 AM, Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
It's a bit early to chat CI within the CNCF IMHO, but it's definitely a service we can potentially offer.

We have a 1000+ node community cluster donated via Intel/Supernap that can be used for this purpose easily.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Michael Richmond via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Alexis,
Lots of good strategies in the node.js post. Adopting many of those ideas integrated together with a CI system could be a useful approach. I have in mind something like the OpenStack CI system where creating a pull-request triggers an automated build and test execution. This automated build/test could write a link to the build log and a red/green indicator to the pull-request.

Do you have any thoughts about how a CNCF toolchain/CI approach could fit into this community model?

Regards,
Michael Richmond

michael richmond | cloud technology architect | infoblox | mrichmond@...

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Friday, February 26, 2016 at 15:05
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>
Subject: [cncf-toc] Fun Friday reading

Hi all

Some more Recent Prior Art we could learn from...

1. MariaDB

Notable because it employs a developer, Monty.  I personally do NOT think that the CNCF should employ developers in this way.  However, I thought the raisons d'etre might be worth a quick glance.  For example number one is "helping new contributors..."

2. Node.js

"helping new contributors" is taken to a greater extreme here.  Have a plough through this.  It is quite a long read but may be worth stealing ideas from.

Re: Fun Friday reading

Chris Aniszczyk

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Friday, February 26, 2016 at 15:05
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

Hi all

Some more Recent Prior Art we could learn from...

1. MariaDB

Notable because it employs a developer, Monty.  I personally do NOT think that the CNCF should employ developers in this way.  However, I thought the raisons d'etre might be worth a quick glance.  For example number one is "helping new contributors..."

2. Node.js

"helping new contributors" is taken to a greater extreme here.  Have a plough through this.  It is quite a long read but may be worth stealing ideas from.

http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

Re: Fun Friday reading

Michael Richmond

From: <cncf-toc-bounces@...> on behalf of Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>
Date: Friday, February 26, 2016 at 15:05
To: "cncf-toc@..." <cncf-toc@...>

Hi all

Some more Recent Prior Art we could learn from...

1. MariaDB

Notable because it employs a developer, Monty.  I personally do NOT think that the CNCF should employ developers in this way.  However, I thought the raisons d'etre might be worth a quick glance.  For example number one is "helping new contributors..."

2. Node.js

"helping new contributors" is taken to a greater extreme here.  Have a plough through this.  It is quite a long read but may be worth stealing ideas from.

alexis

Re: CNCF TOC Chair Results

alexis richardson

Thank you Aaron :)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:57 Aaron Bell via cncf-toc, <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Congratulations Alexis : )

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The TOC has decided who will fill the Chair position. Drum roll please...

Congrats to Alexis Richardson of Weaveworks!

Our next meeting will be held next Wednesday March 2nd at 8AM PST.

Have a great weekend!

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager

Re: CNCF TOC Chair Results

Aaron Bell <aaron@...>

Congratulations Alexis : )

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Sarah Saul via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The TOC has decided who will fill the Chair position. Drum roll please...

Congrats to Alexis Richardson of Weaveworks!

Our next meeting will be held next Wednesday March 2nd at 8AM PST.

Have a great weekend!

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

Fun Friday reading

alexis richardson

Hi all

Some more Recent Prior Art we could learn from...

1. MariaDB

Notable because it employs a developer, Monty.  I personally do NOT think that the CNCF should employ developers in this way.  However, I thought the raisons d'etre might be worth a quick glance.  For example number one is "helping new contributors..."

2. Node.js

"helping new contributors" is taken to a greater extreme here.  Have a plough through this.  It is quite a long read but may be worth stealing ideas from.

alexis

Re: CNCF TOC Chair Results

Kenneth Owens (kenowens) <kenowens@...>

Congrats Alexis!

Kenneth Owens
CTO
Cisco Intercloud Services
kenowens@...
Phone: +1 408 424 0872
Mobile: +1 314 591 5708

Cisco.com

Think before you print. Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:

The TOC has decided who will fill the Chair position. Drum roll please...

Congrats to Alexis Richardson of Weaveworks!

Our next meeting will be held next Wednesday March 2nd at 8AM PST.

Have a great weekend!

Best,

Sarah

--

Sarah Saul

Client Services Manager

The Linux Foundation

(M) 520-245-5185

Skype: srsaul

CNCF TOC Chair Results

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

The TOC has decided who will fill the Chair position. Drum roll please...

Congrats to Alexis Richardson of Weaveworks!

Our next meeting will be held next Wednesday March 2nd at 8AM PST.

Have a great weekend!

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

Re: Vote for your CNCF TOC Chair

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Friendly reminder to the TOC members to vote for your chair by tomorrow at 12PM PST.

If you did not receive an email from CIVS, please reach out and I'll resend.

Thank you,
Sarah

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Sarah Saul <ssaul@...> wrote:
Hello CNCF TOC Members,

We have two nominations for the TOC chair position. Please see below for the two candidates. Here is a link to their bios as well.
  • Ken Owens, Cisco
  • Alexis Richardson, Weaveworks
The CIVS voting period has started and will be live until February 26th at 12PM PST. Results announced Feb 26th at 2PM PST.

All TOC members should have received an email from CIVS.

Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager

Vote for your CNCF TOC Chair

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Hello CNCF TOC Members,

We have two nominations for the TOC chair position. Please see below for the two candidates. Here is a link to their bios as well.
  • Ken Owens, Cisco
  • Alexis Richardson, Weaveworks
The CIVS voting period has started and will be live until February 26th at 12PM PST. Results announced Feb 26th at 2PM PST.

All TOC members should have received an email from CIVS.

Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
(M) 520-245-5185
Skype: srsaul

CNCF TOC Meetings

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

The CNCF TOC meetings will be held weekly on Wednesdays at 8AM PST.

Below is the dial-in information to listen in.

Optional dial in number: 646-494-8704
No PIN needed

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager

Re: CNCF TOC Meeting Minutes 2/17

alexis richardson

thanks Chris!

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Chris Aniszczyk via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
The first meeting of the CNCF TOC was held today.

Here are the meeting minutes/slides:

The TOC will be meeting on a weekly basis as we bootstrap things.

CNCF TOC Meeting Minutes 2/17

Chris Aniszczyk

The first meeting of the CNCF TOC was held today.

Here are the meeting minutes/slides:

The TOC will be meeting on a weekly basis as we bootstrap things.

CNCF TOC Results

Sarah Saul <ssaul@...>

Hello CNCF members,

The voting for the first 6 members of the CNCF TOC is now complete by the Governing Board. We have our TOC results.

CompanyNameTerm
Apache Software FoundationBenjamin Hindman3 years
Apache Software FoundationCamille Fournier3 years
CiscoKen Owens3 years
CoreOSJonathan Boulle3 years
JoyentBryan Cantrill3 years
WeaveworksAlexis Richardson3 years

Congrats to all TOC members selected! We'll reach out next week to kick off the process of selecting the 3 additional TOC members per the charter, one (1) selected by the End User TAB and two (2) by the initial seven TOC members.

Have a great weekend.

Best,
Sarah

--
Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager

Sarah Saul
Client Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
Skype: srsaul

Re: TOC voting status

Chris Aniszczyk

All TOC candidates passed the evaluation period.

The governing board is currently voting on the candidates per the charter:
The voting period begins today (Jan 25th) and closes Jan 28th 9pm PT. TOC results announced Jan 29th.

HTH

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Christopher LILJENSTOLPE via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Greetings,

        Wondering if there is any news on the list of TOC candidates that have "passed" the vetting, and when voting will open?

        Christopher

--
李柯睿
Avt tace, avt loqvere meliora silentio

TOC voting status

Christopher LILJENSTOLPE <cdl@...>

Greetings,

Wondering if there is any news on the list of TOC candidates that have "passed" the vetting, and when voting will open?

Christopher

--
李柯睿
Avt tace, avt loqvere meliora silentio
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf
keybase: https://keybase.io/liljenstolpe

Final CNCF TOC Nominations: Evaluation Period Opens

Chris Aniszczyk

Thanks all for participating in the CNCF TOC nomination process. We received 30 nominations (listed below). Per the CNCF charter, we are now in an evaluation period.

"A minimum of 14 calendar days shall be reserved for an Evaluation Period whereby TOC nominees may be contacted and/or evaluate the electors."

The evaluation period will close Jan 22nd EOD. We will open voting on Jan 25th and close voting on Jan 28th. TOC results will be announced on Jan 29th.

CNCF TOC Nominations (see google doc for full bios)

  • Joe Beda, Entrepreneur in Residence, Accel Partners
  • Benjamin Hindman, Vice President, Apache Software Foundation
  • Camille Fournier, ZooKeeper PMC Member/Committer, Apache Software Foundation
  • Ken Robertson, Lead Architect, Apcera
  • Steve Borrelli, Founder, Asteris
  • Doug Nassaur, GM and Principal Technical Leader of Cloud Architecture, AT&T
  • Ken Owens, CTO of Cloud Solution Engineering, Cisco
  • Sandeepan Banerjee, SVP of Engineering, ClusterHQ
  • Pini Reznik, CTO, Container Solutions
  • Jonathan Boulle, Developer, CoreOS
  • Gabriel Monroy, CTO, Deis
  • Brian Goff, Technical Alliances, Docker
  • Subbu Allamaraju, Chief Engineer-Cloud and Platforms, eBay
  • Elissa Murphy, CTO & EVP, GoDaddy
  • JRam, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
  • Brian Grant, Senior Staff Engineer, Google Corporation
  • Dr. Ying Xiong, Chief Architect of Cloud Platform, Huawei
  • Doug Davis, Senior Technical Staff, IBM
  • Yaron Haviv, Founder & CTO, iguaz.io
  • Andrew Page, SVP of Operations, InfoSiftr
  • Bryan Cantrill, CTO, Joyent
  • Christopher Liljenstolpe, Project Calico Architect, Metaswitch
  • Garrett Mueller, Technical Director, NetApp
  • Darren Shepherd, Chief Architect and Co-founder, Rancher Labs
  • Dr. Chenxi Wang, ‎Chief Strategy Officer, Twistlock
  • Fritz Ferstl, CTO, Univa
  • Pavel Emelianov, Chief Software Architect, Virtuozzo
  • Mark Peek, VP, Principal Engineer of Cloud Native Applications, VMware
  • Alexis Richardson, CEO and Co-Founder, Weaveworks
  • Clayton Coleman, Lead Architect, Red Hat

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Re: TOC Nomination - Clayton Coleman

Patrick Reilly <patrick@...>

+1

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Chris Wright via cncf-toc
<cncf-toc@...> wrote:
Red Hat would like to nominate Clayton Coleman <ccoleman@...>
to the CNCF TOC.

Clayton is the Lead Architect on cloud orchestration and containers at Red
Hat, in charge of both technical direction for Kubernetes and OpenShift
(Red Hat's platform as a service built on top of Kubernetes) as well
as the broader container and container content efforts at Red Hat.
He guides the technical contributions of the large number of Red Hat
engineers who contribute daily to open source projects in the cloud
native space, including Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Rocket,
and the underlying Linux kernel technologies that make them all possible.
Individually, Clayton is the #2 contributor to Kubernetes and has been
deeply involved in its evolution and development since it has been open
sourced, and before that lead teams from Red Hat working to stabilize
Docker and the underlying operating components it depends on to make
containers a production reality. Previously at IBM, he gained deep
insight into the care and feeding of some painfully complex enterprise
applications, and he is empassioned to help build infrastructure that
can run the simplest microservice or the most mission critical monolith.
He is deeply committed to the success of the open source ecosystem that
powers containerization, the Devops movement, and the tools that make
cloud native real.

Through OpenShift, Clayton has represented and been involved in
advising many companies as they made their transition to automated
and containerized application environments - realizing the benefits
and helping identify the hidden pitfalls of modern infrastructure.
That experience has helped inform the design of both Kubernetes
and OpenShift - a focus on usability, approachability, and a deep
understanding of the challenges facing today's IT organizations.

While much attention has been paid to the infrastructure and projects
that run and support micro- and macro- service architectures, a greater
proportion of investment and evolution is needed still in the tools and
processes that support developers building, testing, maintaining, and
securing the software in cloud native environments - a transition Clayton
has been leading within Red Hat through OpenShift and the communities
it comprises. The industrialization of software is just beginning, and
helping teams and organizations define and automate their development
pipelines at scale (in clouds of all kinds) is a critical step in that
progression.

I support Clayton's nomination to the Cloud Native Computing Foundation's
Technical Oversight Committee because of his great ability to work
well within the community, provide technical leadership, and his germane
experience both developing enterprise applications and modern cloud-native
application infrastructure.

thanks,
-chris