Date

Re: Special issues process proposal

alexis richardson

This is a very important initiative, thank-you.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 4:42 PM Matt Klein <mattklein123@...> wrote:

Hi TOC community,

As part of our working group on how to better handle project "special issues," I have put together a draft process document that I would love your feedback on:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16NCbcC-2N2GFqnA2FxHKZeNnv2grkLIeLrs37IMHU0c/edit#

This is part of the general work steam around improving the services that we provide to member projects (see also https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HLRFOCgSleHX5ZHu3PQRTAVQB-KNjxggZxc6CFLLQxQ/edit#heading=h.wb9r8ykfgpr1).

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks,
Matt

Special issues process proposal

Matt Klein

Hi TOC community,

As part of our working group on how to better handle project "special issues," I have put together a draft process document that I would love your feedback on:

This is part of the general work steam around improving the services that we provide to member projects (see also https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HLRFOCgSleHX5ZHu3PQRTAVQB-KNjxggZxc6CFLLQxQ/edit#heading=h.wb9r8ykfgpr1).

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Jepsen result for etcd 3.4.3

Brandon Philips <brandon.philips@...>

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 1:35 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 1:00 AM Brandon Philips
<brandon.philips@...> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:40 AM Alexis Richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
>>
>> One side question from me -- I think it would be good to understand
>> more about recommended etcd set-ups at different scales of k8s cluster
>> (10, 50, 150, 500+ nodes) and how to deal with n/w partitions.
>

> There are many variables on how much workload an API server puts on etcd but there is a ballpark guess doc here:
>
> https://etcd.io/docs/v3.4.0/op-guide/hardware/

This is great, I don't know how I missed it before.  QQ: Are your
example configs each using only one VM per cluster?  That is not
totally clear from the docs.

The example configs are for the etcd nodes needed to support a Kubernetes cluster of X size. Because etcd doesn't scale horizontally the guide, I believe, covers recommended sized clusters up to 5 nodes. Happy to take a PR to clarify something though.

> What do you mean by dealing with network partitions? Does the failure guide section on network partitions help? https://etcd.io/docs/v3.4.0/op-guide/failures/

Thank-you.  I've seen this --- I guess what I am asking about is
practical guidance on how often to expect different types of network
failures, and what to expect, how long etc.  I understand this is hard
to do in a general manner.

That all depends on the network not on etcd. All etcd can guarantee is it will tolerate a network partition of arbitrary length of time and will only allow writes on the side of the partition where the majority of members can still talk to each other. Once the partition recovers health checks

As far as tuning for a particular network see the tuning guide: https://etcd.io/docs/v3.4.0/tuning/

Thank You,

Brandon

Re: Jepsen result for etcd 3.4.3

alexis richardson

Brandon,

<brandon.philips@...> wrote:

[...]

alexis

Re: Jepsen result for etcd 3.4.3

Bart Smykla <bartek@...>

I’m happy to see the report. Great job!

Bart Smykla

From: "kubernetes-dev@..." <kubernetes-dev@...> on behalf of Brandon Philips <brandon.philips@...>
Date: Friday, 31 January 2020 at 02:00
To: Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>
Cc: Alexis Richardson via cncf-toc <cncf-toc@...>, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kubernetes-dev@...>
Subject: Re: Jepsen result for etcd 3.4.3

[...]

Big round of applause to everyone involved in this. Please do share
any thoughts back with CNCF on what can be done to help etcd continue
to be a trusted component of the K8s environment.

One side question from me -- I think it would be good to understand
more about recommended etcd set-ups at different scales of k8s cluster
(10, 50, 150, 500+ nodes) and how to deal with n/w partitions.

alexis

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:28 PM Brandon Philips
<brandon.philips@...> wrote:

Hello Kubernetes Dev-

In the last few weeks the etcd maintainers have been working with Kyle at Jepsen to test the project. Please read the blog post from Xiang for the full results: https://etcd.io/blog/jepsen-343-results/

Cheers,

Brandon

Re: [TOC Election] Qualified Nominees for January/February 2020 Election

Matt Farina

Richard,

Thanks! I've updated your info.

- Matt

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 3:16 PM, Richard Hartmann wrote:
Hi Matt,

thanks for this!

Two updates: My Twitter is @TwitchiH and you can put me down as working for Grafana.

Best,
Richard

PS: In all seriousness, if I lose, I want to lose to you.

Sent by mobile; please excuse my brevity.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020, 00:42 Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:

I was curios about the candidates and the process... so I wrote down what I saw in an election guide blog post. There's at least one link/reference for each candidate running (usually more), their location (should everyone be in the Pacific time zone?), and some more details on the process. Hope it's useful to someone doing due diligence on voting.

Cheers,
Matt

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Amye Scavarda Perrin wrote:
Congratulations to our nominees for the Technical Oversight Committee!
These nominees have all passed the qualification process from the Governing Board and TOC.

Our nominees are:
Saad Ali
John Belamaric
Katie Gamanji
Richard Hartmann
Michael Hausenblas
Zhengyu He
Quinton Hoole
Frederick Kautz
Wei Lai
Vallery Lancey
Sheng Liang
Bryan Liles
Haifeng Liu
Kris Nova
Torin Sandall
Brian Scott
Eduardo Silva
Sugu Sougoumarane
Liu Tang
Ed Warnicke

Voting is now open for the five (5) seats available: three (3) from the Governing Board, one (1) from the End Users and one (1) from the maintainers of incubating and graduated projects. Voting will close on February 3, 2020 at 11:59am Pacific time, and the election results will be announced on February 3rd.

[...]

Re: 回复:[cncf-toc] [TOC Election] Qualified Nominees for January/February 2020 Election

Matt Farina

Zhengyu, thanks for letting me know. I've updated the post.

Regards,
Matt

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 7:44 AM, Zhengyu He via Lists.Cncf.Io wrote:
A minor correction: I'm based in Hangzhou, China. I forgot to update my linkedin.

Thanks,
Zhengyu

[...]

刘海锋 <bjliuhaifeng@...>

Thank you Matt. It’s quite convenient.

--Haifeng Liu

发件人: <cncf-toc@...> 代表 Matt Farina <matt@...>
日期: 2020128 星期二 上午7:42
收件人: CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
主题: Re: [cncf-toc] [TOC Election] Qualified Nominees for January/February 2020 Election

[...]

Chris Short

Thank you, Matt.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 18:42 Matt Farina <matt@...> wrote:
[...]

He/Him/His

[...]

Amye Scavarda Perrin

[...]

Re: Update on CloudEvents Project

Liz Rice

Thanks for the update, Doug. It makes sense to have subscription / discovery APIs to complement the existing CloudEvents, and doing them as part of the same project sgtm.

Comments from the community are welcome!

--
Liz Rice - sent from my phone

On 24 Jan 2020, at 02:19, Doug Davis <dug@...> wrote:

TOC Members,

With CloudEvents reaching the v1.0 milestone, the Serverless WG has been looking at what additional pain points might the community be running into. After several meetings the WG produced the following “top candidate” possibilities:
- Subscription and Discovery APIs (includes Delivery API)
- Function Signatures
- End-to-End Security for Event Delivery
- Packaging Contract

After some discussions the WG decided on “Subscription and Discovery APIs” and to work on it under the CloudEvents project rather than as a Serverless WG task. Some rationale for this decision included:
- Once event producers generate CloudEvents, it’s only natural to then ask how an event consumer can determine, apriori, which CloudEvents will be generated. Additionally, how can an event consumer requests the delivery of those CloudEvents.
- This should help in the tooling and automation of connecting consumers to producers.

For the other WG topics above, there was an admission that trying to standardize on a solution for those issues might either be 1) a rather significant undertaking, and we were looking for a smaller problem to tackle, or 2) the issues would be filled with political landmines at this time. Both of which might reduce the likelihood of adoption on a broad scale right now. However, there was some discussion about the Serverless WG doing some exploration of possible solutions for those topics in the background to test the waters.

The purpose of this note is to update the TOC on the CloudEvents project’s plans and if there is a desire for more information, or for one of us to join an upcoming TOC call to answer questions in real-time, please let us know.

thanks
-Mark Peek, Ken Owens and Doug Davis

Update on CloudEvents Project

Doug Davis <dug@...>

[...]

Re: CNCF SIG Contributor Experience Proposal

Paris Pittman <parispittman@...>

Thanks everyone! :) Based on the doodle poll, I'll go ahead and set up two times which gives more folks opportunities to join across time zones. I'll get the invites out ASAP to those who entered their info in the poll.

  • Weds, Jan 29 @ 4:00pm PT (12amUTC)
  • Thurs, Jan 30 @ 7:30am PT (3:30pmUTC)

Spread the word to your networks and projects that may be interested. Reply to me for an invite if you'd like to participate. It would be good for those who want to be heavily involved with leading discovery and working group planning, to step forward now so we see skills/interest areas which will help shape the charter, too. Looking forward to it.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM Alena Prokharchyk via Lists.Cncf.Io <aprokharchyk=apple.com@...> wrote:
+1 NB, this is awesome

-alena

--

Paris Pittman

Kubernetes Community

Open Source Strategy, Google Cloud

345 Spear Street, San Francisco, 94105

Re: CNCF SIG Contributor Experience Proposal

Alena Prokharchyk

[...]

Kiran Mova

+1 NB. Thank you!

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 7:39 PM Geri Jennings <geri.jennings@...> wrote:
+1 NB. I look forward to seeing the evolution of CNCF with this SIG in place.

On 1/23/20, 8:11 AM, "cncf-toc@... on behalf of Richard Hartmann" <cncf-toc@... on behalf of richih@...> wrote:

    +1 NB

    On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 1:43 AM Matt Klein <mattklein123@...> wrote:

    > Big +1 from me. Very excited to see this SIG form as I think this is an area that many projects struggle with. The projects that don't struggle with this have some very overworked maintainers. ;)

    *cough* and *cough*

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error.

3201 - 3220 of 7339