Date

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Russell Bryant <rbryant@...>

Thanks, Chris!  That channel just got archived on slack, unfortunately.  We are in #cluster-api as well, though.

we can set up a mailing list for metalkube too if that helps.

Russell Bryant

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:24 PM Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
That's great Xuan!  I agree, Kube is very promising for a variety of edge and other usecases in the network.

Jump on #wg-onprem in Kubernetes Slack, visit http://metalkube.org/, or ping Russell (Cc'd) if you need any other pointers.

thanks,
-chris

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 2:45 AM Xuan Jia <jason.jiaxuan@...> wrote:
Hi Chris, i am very interested in this project.  It may have some value in edge computing.
We are finding if community have any solution to solve the bare metal machine management problem .
MetalKube is the one.  How can we do together ?

From my point of view, the resource in Edge Computing Data Center is limited.   CNF is a very good chose in Edge.

Xuan Jia
Edge Computing Architect
China Mobile Research Institute

Chris Wright <chrisw@...> 于2019年3月2日周六 上午12:01写道:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2019, 2:37 PM Brian Grant via Lists.Cncf.Io <briangrant=google.com@...> wrote:
The statement about competing with openstack is especially unfortunate.

I agree, I'm very disappointed by that statement.

And all solutions have noisy neighbor challenges. It's workload dependent.

Indeed. Similarly all solutions have security challenges. And then pointing to microvms as interesting after describing Kata as FUD is minimally confusing and maximally reads as just bad mouthing another project.

Having said the above, that's mostly about messaging concerns. I do see real value in Kubernetes on bare metal for a number of usecases including network functions.

So I'm curious to see who is interested in Kubernetes on bare metal?  For those interested, we're working on a project called metalkube:

Feel free to jump on slack and learn what's going on there.

thanks,
-chris

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 10:09 AM alexis richardson <alexis@...> wrote:
If so then I assume this article is all a set of misquotes by the journalist:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 15:58 Dan Kohn, <dan@...> wrote:
Definitely, there's a lot more to come. We're also hoping to get a bunch of telcos and their vendors engaged and making improvement to the Testbed so that it becomes a real, collaborative open source project.

Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Liz Rice <liz@...> wrote:
Fwiw I think this is pretty cool, but I suspect a lot of parties interested in this comparison would also want to see latency & jitter info added to slide 9. Is that in the pipeline Dan?

The code: https://github.com/cncf/cnf-testbed

@lizrice  | lizrice.com+44 (0) 780 126 1145

--
Russell Bryant

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Rob Hirschfeld

> "So I'm curious to see who is interested in Kubernetes on bare metal?  "

If the TOC is interested in Kube on bare metal... there's also KRIB on Digital Rebar which uses KubeAdm and has a wide range of options including HA.

We've done work for a ClusterAPI Machine Controller which allows the ClusterAPI to treat metal like a cloud: https://github.com/galthaus/machine-controller

Rob Hirschfeld

Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, RackN

(512) 773-7522

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Chris Wright <chrisw@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Wright

That's great Xuan!  I agree, Kube is very promising for a variety of edge and other usecases in the network.

Jump on #wg-onprem in Kubernetes Slack, visit http://metalkube.org/, or ping Russell (Cc'd) if you need any other pointers.

thanks,
-chris

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 2:45 AM Xuan Jia <jason.jiaxuan@...> wrote:
Hi Chris, i am very interested in this project.  It may have some value in edge computing.
We are finding if community have any solution to solve the bare metal machine management problem .
MetalKube is the one.  How can we do together ?

From my point of view, the resource in Edge Computing Data Center is limited.   CNF is a very good chose in Edge.

Xuan Jia <jason.jiaxuan@...>

Hi Chris, i am very interested in this project.  It may have some value in edge computing.
We are finding if community have any solution to solve the bare metal machine management problem .
MetalKube is the one.  How can we do together ?

From my point of view, the resource in Edge Computing Data Center is limited.   CNF is a very good chose in Edge.

[...]

RFC: OPA is up for Annual Review + Incubation Request

Chris Aniszczyk

Just an FYI, OPA! They are close to their 1 year anniversary for their annual review as a sandbox project and also want to request a move to incubation:

We look forward to comments from the TOC and wider community.

Metalkube (was: Re: [cncf-toc] Anyone know what this is?)

Nicolas Trangez

On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 16:00 +0000, Chris Wright wrote:
I do
see
real value in Kubernetes on bare metal for a number of usecases
including
network functions.
So do we (Scality) as a way to deploy our products on customer
premises, including K8s 'as an implementation detail' (but of course
reaping the benefits of doing so). I submitted a proposal for a KubeCon
session about this for the Barcelona summit.

So I'm curious to see who is interested in Kubernetes on bare metal?
*wave*

For
those interested, we're working on a project called metalkube:

https://github.com/metalkube

Feel free to jump on slack and learn what's going on there.
That's a bit unfortunate, at least naming-wise... We have been working
on something 100% open-source called MetalK8s for quite a while now,
and are part of the CNCF landscape as a conforming implementation for
some time.

https://github.com/scality/metalk8s/
https://metal-k8s.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Actually in the middle of reworking the project with some big plans in
the pipeline for deployment (no longer based on Kubespray), as well as
local storage/disk/volume management.

https://github.com/scality/metalk8s/blob/development/2.0/docs/requirements.rst

Nicolas

--

<https://www.scality.com/download-idc-marketscape/?utm_source=ScalityEmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2018Predictions>

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Chris Wright

[...]

Brian Grant

[...]

sure I’ll slot a bit of time

On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:

Chris, can we put this on the agenda for the next TOC meeting please.

I'd like the TOC to have a clear understanding of what's happening with the Cloud-native Network Functions effort, as it's very unclear at the moment.  See also the thread below.

From: Dan Kohn <dan@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 04:32
To: Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
Cc: Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...>, Alexis Richardson <alexis@...>

Here's background on CNFs. In short, it's a demonstration and marketing term for how to use Kubernetes as a substrate for the telco use case. There's no project associated with it, and a key consideration is how to support telcos without "breaking" Kubernetes's success for enterprise users. There are no actual upstream changes or new projects that we're proposing.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 2:16 AM Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...> wrote:
+Dan Kohn

The nomenclature is a bit off but this is a CNCF funded effort / demo, not an official CNCF project per se.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:47 AM Quinton Hoole <quinton.hoole@...> wrote:
Hi Alexis, Chris

I recently noticed that CNFS claim to be “in the CNCF”.

I think this is the first I’ve heard of this.  Am I asleep at the wheel?  Was this ever passed by the TOC?  Where exactly does it fit in?

There is a CNFS project in the CNCF GitHub:

But it’s not listed as a sandbox (or any other) CNCF project?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any guidance.

[...]

alexis richardson

[...]

[RESULT] containerd moving to graduation (PASSED)

Chris Aniszczyk

The vote for containerd moving to the graduation maturity level has been approved:

https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165
https://www.cncf.io/announcement/2019/02/28/cncf-announces-containerd-graduation/

+1 binding TOC votes (8/9):
Jeff: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2900
Joe: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2914
Matt: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2915
Xiang: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2916
Brian: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2924
Brendan: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2931
Quinton: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2933
Alexis: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2934

+1 non-binding community votes:
Ihor Dvoretskyi: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2874
Richard Hartmann: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2875
Phil Estes: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2876
Justin Cormack: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2877
Doug Davis: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2878
Liz Rice: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2879
Davanum Srinivas: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2880
Bob Killen: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2881
Sonya Koptyev: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2883
Yassine Tijani: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2884
Alex Chircop: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2885
Suresh Krishnan: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2886
Feilong Wang: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2887
Randy Abernethy: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2889
郑淮城: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2890
Allen Sun: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2891
徐翔轩: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2894
Lee Calcote: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2895
Nick Chase: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2897
Christian Jantz: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2898
Xu Wang: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2901
Dan Shaw: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2903
Haining Zhang: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2906
Philippe Robin: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2911
Sebastiaan van Stijn: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2912
Ayrat Khayretdinov: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2913
Jia Zou: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2917
Heng Du: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2918
Abdul Aziz: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2921
Erin Boyd: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2926
Mark Peek: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2927
Justin Cappos: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2928
Gilbert Song: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2929
Dan Wilson: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2930
Xing Yang: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2932
Pengfei Ni: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2935

0 non-binding community votes:
Chris Short: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2882
Ruben Orduz: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-toc/message/2893

Thanks all for voting!

China Scale

Kevin Xu

Hi all,

  I recently wrote a piece on Software Engineering Daily on how the scale of China's internet economy is a great sandbox for battle-testing new technologies: https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/2019/02/26/china-scale-the-new-sandbox-to-battle-test-innovative-technology/

  Alexis thought it's worthwhile that I share it here.

  Would appreciate your commentary and feedback, either here or offline (or twitter). Enjoy!

Kevin

--
Kevin S. Xu
General Manager of Global Strategy and Operations

Re: [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation

Pengfei Ni

+1 non-binding

Best regards.

---
Pengfei Ni

alexis richardson <alexis@...> 于2019年2月27日周三 下午5:52写道:

+1 binding

+1 (binding)
From:Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>
To:CNCF TOC <cncf-toc@...>
Date:2019-02-18 08:59:35
Subject:[cncf-toc] [VOTE] containerd moving to graduation

containerd has requested to move to the graduation maturity level:
https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165

The containerd community believes it has fulfilled all the graduation criteria:

- Have a healthy number of committers and at least two from different organizations: Containerd has had a variety of maintainers and reviewers since its inception, and currently have 12 committers representing Docker, NTT, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, Tesla, and Cruise Automation. They also have reviewers representing Alibaba, ZTE, Huawei, Docker, Microsoft and an independent developer.

- Document that it is being used successfully in production by at least three independent end users:

Containerd began life prior to its CNCF as a lower-layer runtime manager for the Docker engine. Continuing today, containerd has widest usage and adoption as the layer between the Docker engine and the OCI runc executor. However, as containerd and its CRI plugin project have merged in January 2018, the combined use of containerd and the CRI plugin has grown to include several public cloud providers, as well as several projects who are attracted to the simplicity of the Go client API library for embedding container runtime capabilities.

IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service (IKS)
IBM Cloud Private (ICP)
Google Cloud Kubernetes Engine (GKE) [offers containerd in "alpha clusters"]
Cloud Foundry
Alibaba's PouchContainer
Rancher's Rio project
Eliot
Balena
LinuxKit
BuildKit
AWS Firecracker
Kata containers
Docker engine

- Demonstrate a substantial ongoing flow of commits and merged contributions: https://github.com/containerd/containerd/graphs/contributors + https://containerd.devstats.cncf.io + https://all.devstats.cncf.io/d/54/project-health?orgId=1&var-repogroup_name=containerd

- Have achieved a CII badge: https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/en/projects/1271

- Define a governance model: https://github.com/containerd/project/blob/master/GOVERNANCE.md

Please vote (+1/0/-1) by replying to this thread; the full proposal located here: https://github.com/cncf/toc/pull/165

From:Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk@...>

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]